F150 Ecoboost Forum banner
401 - 420 of 425 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
I have about 182,000 miles on this truck. Change the oil every 5k(full synthetic Penzoil Ultra Platinum every time). Spark plugs just replaced at 175k. Its been fairly reliable. Biggest problem was oil pan leak around 60k replaced under warranty. I discovered this leak when changing the oil. The plastic cover underneath can shield you from knowing that there any leaks and I got rid of that diaper after the oil pan repair.

·
Registered
391 Posts
Discussion Starter · #402 ·
Time for an oil change

A little early but timing is everything. I also did the spark plugs and cabin air filter. Road trips this summer to National parks and Texas state parks.

No problems to speak of, changed the plugs cause I wanted to, a little late with the cabin air filter, I usually change that in May each year.

Castrol Edge 5w30, Motorcraft oil filter, no name cabin air filter, and NGK Ruthenium plugs from rock auto.

Long term updates continue.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
391 Posts
Discussion Starter · #403 ·
Took a family road trip all the way to Montana. We visited 6 National Parks.

This was done in 14 days. I was really impressed with my F150. Only issue was one of my led head light bulbs burned out. I changed it out at one of the bnb’s we stayed at while in Whitefish Montana.

Glacier NP was our favorite. Smoke from the Idaho wildfire made it hazy but still spectacular. Pics don’t do it justice.

Mt Rushmore has long been on my bucket list. Driving the needles hwy to get there was absolutely priceless!

·
Registered
391 Posts
Discussion Starter · #404 ·
Time for another oil change

Oil looked dark but not black, filter looked wet but surprisingly clean.

Went with edge euro and Motorcraft filter. Wound up replacing the other led head lamp. I looked back and saw they were in for about 22 months. I will put leds back in when I get the chance, till then plain ole halogens.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Been following this for a while, just curious if you or anyone else on this thread ever have had a pretty powerful smell of gas in your oil. I have 63k on the 2018 I have and it’s always smelled like gas a tad, but recently had the dealer replace the leaking oil pan and they filled it up with motorcraft synthetic blend 5-30. About 2000 miles on that oil and it smelled pretty powerfully of gasoline. So anyhow I took a sample and the dipstick to the dealership with 2300 miles on the oil. Their master tech smelled it and acknowledged the gas smell. He said it’s normal for ecoboosts to get gas in oil due to direct injection, however, my commute is 90% highway for 21 miles at about 60/65 mph, which should be mostly port injection rather than direct injection because I don’t drive it hard other then when out for a joy ride a handful of times a year to blow some cobwebs out. Also since last winter (northwest Pennsylvania snow belt) I’ve noticed about a 1.5 to 2 mpg difference hand calculated at the pump which (was 21ish mpg now lucky to get 19.5). Sorry to ramble but I’m just curious who else has noticed fuel in their oil. Also I’ve got about 600 miles on Castrol Magnetec and it’s got a faint smell, even after a 150 mile trip just today.

·
Premium Member
2021 Powerboost Platinum FX4 Kodiak Brown
10,086 Posts
I'm betting that 150 mile run helped a lot though.

Sent from my SM-G988U using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
898 Posts
Their master tech smelled it and acknowledged the gas smell. He said it’s normal for ecoboosts to get gas in oil due to direct injection,
While DI may have a bit to do with blow-by it is much more a product of the increased combustion chamber pressure of a forced induction engine, it is more due to the turbocharging. KM

Reactions: N4HHE

·
Registered
391 Posts
Discussion Starter · #408 ·
If the oil level stays the same then you aren’t getting that much fuel in the oil.

Loss of mileage could mean you just need some fresh plugs. Could also mean you might have a leaking injector, but usually that would give you a long list of symptoms to go with it.

I would try the new plugs first to see if that helped. Start simple then work up.

·
Registered
391 Posts
Discussion Starter · #409 ·
Rear pads made it past 110,000 miles. I did not catch it before one pad went metal to metal. I put on some inexpensive pads to hold me over until my rock auto rotors and pads come in this week.

I must be slipping to let my brakes go bad like that. I might get another 10k out of the fronts but I’m not gonna push it any further. Ordered new rotors and pads for the front also.

Don’t be afraid of the electric parking brake, it’s a simple task to put the rears in maintenance mode. I should be able to save the rotors and turn them to have on hand for next time.

Two years of vacations in the mountains just used them up. That and I added hill descent control to my 2WD.

Long term updates continue. Full brake job details soon.

·
Registered
207 Posts
I've been following this thread since the very beginning. I bought my 2016 2.7 XLT about the same time you bought yours. I bought it on a whim from Bluebonnet Ford in New Braunfels... wasn't even planning to buy a truck that day.
I drove it up to 109K miles and traded for a SuperDuty. I missed the EcoBoost and am now back with a 2018 3.5 Lariat. To be honest, I still miss my old 2.7 XLT sometimes, it was a dang good truck.

·
Registered
391 Posts
Discussion Starter · #411 ·
I've been following this thread since the very beginning. I bought my 2016 2.7 XLT about the same time you bought yours. I bought it on a whim from Bluebonnet Ford in New Braunfels... wasn't even planning to buy a truck that day.
I drove it up to 109K miles and traded for a SuperDuty. I missed the EcoBoost and am now back with a 2018 3.5 Lariat. To be honest, I still miss my old 2.7 XLT sometimes, it was a dang good truck.
Was there something you didn’t like about the Super Duty? Just getting some first hand knowledge from you.

·
Registered
207 Posts
Was there something you didn’t like about the Super Duty? Just getting some first hand knowledge from you.

I liked it ok but my wife didn't like how rough it rode. I lowered the tires to 50psi and installed Bilstein 5100's but it was still a pretty harsh ride compared to an F-150. I'm talking slow speeds around town, you couldn't drive over speed bumps without spilling your coffee kind of ride. Then we sold our travel trailer and bought a class A motorhome so we no longer needed a SuperDuty. We then bought a Jeep Wrangler 4 door to pull behind the coach. Dealing with the hardtop was a pain every time the weather changed and I found myself missing my old F-150's twin panel moon roof and sliding rear window. I now have a 2018 Lariat set up to pull behind our coach. Here's a few pics...
Wheel Tire Automotive side marker light Automotive parking light Car
Wheel Sky Cloud Tire Vehicle
Automotive parking light Wheel Tire Automotive side marker light Car

·
Registered
391 Posts
Discussion Starter · #413 ·
I received the front set before the rear so I did the fronts today. I have a fresh set of pads on the rear so I’m ok. The front pads might have gone another 50k before replacement.
Old

Compared to the new pads

Would you guess 110k on the fronts? I wouldn’t. So check your rear pads every 70-80k for replacement. Our light trucks are biased to the rears. It’s also due to the traction control. It is set up to make the rear function like a limited slip. Amazing tech that Ford came up with!

All sliding pins were re-lubed and were moving freely before I yanked them out. Still worth noting that the outside pads on all wheels wore faster than the insides.

One note: front pads… dog ears go to the inside! Very important. I’ll update on the rears when I get them done. Pedal feels the same. I went with Centric pads and rotors, I’ve had good luck with them on several vehicles.

·
Registered
391 Posts
Discussion Starter · #415 ·
Yes, all OEM till just after 110k.

I was impressed, except for the rears but I consider that the learning curve of an old guy who had never seen rears go first.

All OEM rotors should be able to be turned and used again. All are very heavy. The new centric rotors are all painted and look high quality.

Not much rust in central Texas so it’s been a fairly straight forward job so far.

·
Registered
391 Posts
Discussion Starter · #416 ·
After I put everything up yesterday the rear set was delivered. I tackled it this morning while it was in the 60’s. Whoever assembled the rear axle was a freak of nature. The caliper bracket bolts were almost beyond hand tools. But a breaker bar and my stubborn ass won the day.

I’ll use this as mileage documentation, it was a little less for the front brakes.

The Centric rotors were painted unlike the OEM rotors.

All in all a simple job, even though a few bolts had to be convinced to let go. You need a 13mm socket and a 21mm socket to do the job. You can get by with the 13mm if you are only changing pads. Big can of brake cleaner and you’ll be good to go.

I spent right at $500 and saved the labor money for beer. Long term updates continue.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Just an update to post #405. I had an oil analysis done with blackstone labs, I’ll post the results below if it will let me. Fuel dilution over 4200ish miles was at 2.8% and stated the viscosity was more a 5w-20 rather than a 5w-30. Truck is nearly paid off, and don’t want another payment but I’m debating if I should trade this in before its too late. Does anyone have any opinions or advice on if that’s a normal percentage for this truck (2018 2.7 ecoboost) or if anyone else has similar results. Was thinking about changing plugs this weekend but not sure if that could help with dilution. I’m worried about the upcoming winter months with cold starts etc causing increased dilution. I run castrol gtx 5w-30 right now. Maybe consider going to 5w-40? But once again any input or advice would be greatly appreciated.

Font Material property Rectangle Parallel Pattern
Font Material property Rectangle Parallel Pattern

·
Premium Member
2021 Powerboost Platinum FX4 Kodiak Brown
10,086 Posts
If you do keep it, just drop to a 3000 mile interval and see how it reports.

How consistent was the miles on that oil VS other intervals? Was there more short trips? More percentage of miles below fully warmed up fluids?

And yea, you can switch to a different viscosity of oil. It's not the end of the world to run 0-40 in these motors. :)

Sent from my SM-G988U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4 Posts
Actually that oil had a 2300 mile round trip to Florida and back. Also my commute to work is 21 miles one way. 90% highway. I rarely short trip it. And the dip stick is so hard to read so I can never tell if or how much it’s rising. Also thinking putting a name brand catch can on it to see if that helps. Mixed reviews on that however on all the forums.

·
Registered
1,751 Posts
Actually that oil had a 2300 mile round trip to Florida and back. Also my commute to work is 21 miles one way. 90% highway. I rarely short trip it. And the dip stick is so hard to read so I can never tell if or how much it’s rising. Also thinking putting a name brand catch can on it to see if that helps. Mixed reviews on that however on all the forums.
A catch can won’t do anything for fuel dilution. Bunch of misinformation regarding that topic. I’m not sure a lot of people know how crankcase ventilation truly works. It’s simply the design of the engine.

Ford wanted it to be a work horse. No matter what, it will be hard on oil. Getting the truck up to temp seems to be the only counter to fuel dilution.

Give some other oil brands a try. Magnatec is pretty overrated IMO. It’s definitely not what it used to be. I’ve had best luck sticking with MotorCraft SB. It truly is REALLY good oil.

401 - 420 of 425 Posts