F150 Ecoboost Forum banner
441 - 460 of 479 Posts

·
Premium Member
2022 Powergrid KingRanch in Sparkle White
14,668 Posts
I've owned both and the thing that sticks out in my mind is that the 2.7 made like 90% of its max torque at an unbelievable 1800rpms. That's just insane compared to anything I had ever owned that didn't burn diesel.
The 3.5 I think matches it at around 2400?

·
Registered
420 Posts
How would you compare the 3.5 to the 2.7
Everything else being the same, I doubt most people could decipher what engine is under the hood. The 3.5 is rated to tow more but I really don't understand why that is.
The first gen 2.7's were actually quicker in a drag race than the 1st gen 3.5's. Not sure about that now.
Apologies to the OP if we are dragging this thread off topic.

·
Premium Member
7,463 Posts
I've owned both and the thing that sticks out in my mind is that the 2.7 made like 90% of its max torque at an unbelievable 1800rpms. That's just insane compared to anything I had ever owned that didn't burn diesel.
I read just last night the 2.7 makes max tq at 3000 RPM but maybe it was a different tune in a different vehicle.

·
Premium Member
14,668 Posts
I read just last night the 2.7 makes max tq at 3000 RPM but maybe it was a different tune in a different vehicle.
Look closely..... Lol

Ford says it makes 90% of its max torque at 1800
(I read this in 2016 and might be off by 100rpms?)

That's my whole rant regarding chasing "Max" numbers, especially with the chant for dyno graphs to backup someone's claims.
The real world experience while sitting in the vehicle is the only real world you can experience. Can feeeeel.

So your question was teeing it up for my point perfectly. Max torque is on a graph.
90% torque at 1200rpms less than max has already happened to you in the seat! Which one do you think you could describe by just driving the truck?

I just don't think anything happened at 3000rpms that you would notice. But at 2000 you already said "Holy COW" 🤪

·
Premium Member
17 Lariat SCLB Max Tow 4x4
967 Posts
The first gen 2.7's were actually quicker in a drag race than the 1st gen 3.5's. Not sure about that now.
Buddies stock 13 Gen 1 3.5 felt slower then Dads Gen 1 2.7. My Gen 2 3.5 feels faster then his 2.7 was.
The 3.5 I think is rated to tow more before it’s less turbo dependant and don’t have to worry about charge air temps going through the roof.

Reactions: snakebitten

·
Registered
2018 F-150 XLT SCAB 4x4 3.55:1
502 Posts
Everything else being the same, I doubt most people could decipher what engine is under the hood. The 3.5 is rated to tow more but I really don't understand why that is.
Salesman took me out in 2018 2.7EB, 3.5EB, and 5.0. I noticed the difference. Very surprised how the 2.7EB was more spirited at non-hooligan speeds than the other two. Bought 2.7EB.

·
Premium Member
17 Lariat SCLB Max Tow 4x4
967 Posts
Salesman took me out in 2018 2.7EB, 3.5EB, and 5.0. I noticed the difference. Very surprised how the 2.7EB was more spirited at non-hooligan speeds than the other two. Bought 2.7EB.
I wanted a 2.7 EB Lariat. I found my 3.5 with a 6.5 ft box so I bought it. I don’t regret my purchase.

·
Registered
417 Posts
Discussion Starter · #450 ·
Time for an oil change before summer road trip coming up.
Land vehicle Vehicle Car Personal luxury car Font

close enough for me, went with some of the last of my stash of euro Edge and motorcraft filter.
Automotive lighting Light Automotive tire Font Material property

Truck is running well, no other maintenance until I get back and change the oil. No other news about old blue, still kicking.

Oil is getting quite a bit more expensive. I have one more change of Edge then it's on to the Kirkland 5w30 I have stocked up. (even that is getting expensive) More spirited driving this OCI so I had more oil in the catch can than usual, about half full of the 3 oz capacity. Oil was dark, filter just looked like it was wet. Premium gas for as long as I can stomach the pain at the pump.

Long term updates continue.

·
Registered
10,159 Posts
The 1st gen 3.5 they say makes 90% from 1700 to 5000.

I've never heard such a quote about the 2nd/3rd gen but I would think it might be similar.

·
Registered
2015 Ford F-150 Lariat Screw 5.5' | 3.5 Eco | 4x4 3.55 Max Tow | 33's, Tuned by BoostKing
613 Posts
I really can’t fathom the torque coming on any sooner on my Gen 1 3.5!

Now the top end… well, give and take.

·
Premium Member
14,668 Posts
I didn't think the 3.5 dyno torque curve showed it at 90% that early. I mean 1700rpms.

I thought it reached that at somewhere around 2200 or so. Still amazing, don't get me wrong. But later than the 2.7

Which might explain the phenomenon of the 2.7 feeling quicker out of the hole. Cuz technically it's hitting hard earlier.

·
Registered
417 Posts
Discussion Starter · #455 ·

I’m over 24 mpg for the trip so far. This is using cruise control and most always between 75-80 mph. Which I think is exceptional all things considered.

Using 93 for this trip except for one tank of 91 because that’s all they had. Gas prices have been all over the place. 4.69 to 5.46 per gallon. I’ll update when we get back.

Outer Banks is beautiful. Pic with the daughter at the beach.

The Atlantic is colder than the Frio river!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
8 Posts
That picture is showing your average over the last 30-minutes, not the entire trip. I always use trip-1 as a current tank average, and trip-2 as an oil life average. Of course, the real average comes from my calculator (Fuelly) at fill-ups. My truck in the relatively hilly areas of central KY driving I65 averages closer to 19.5 (cluster) when cruise is set to 77.

I’m over 24 mpg for the trip so far. This is using cruise control and most always between 75-80 mph. Which I think is exceptional all things considered.

Using 93 for this trip except for one tank of 91 because that’s all they had. Gas prices have been all over the place. 4.69 to 5.46 per gallon. I’ll update when we get back.

Outer Banks is beautiful. Pic with the daughter at the beach.

The Atlantic is colder than the Frio river!

·
Registered
417 Posts
Discussion Starter · #459 ·
That picture is showing your average over the last 30-minutes, not the entire trip. I always use trip-1 as a current tank average, and trip-2 as an oil life average. Of course, the real average comes from my calculator (Fuelly) at fill-ups. My truck in the relatively hilly areas of central KY driving I65 averages closer to 19.5 (cluster) when cruise is set to 77.
I’ll give trip one data when we get back. I’m expecting around 4K miles on this road trip. I’m just under half way at this point but mileage is holding steady.

I reset all fuel mileage when we left the house last week. Fresh oil change and hiway driving has my avg 24 mpg holding steady, even while driving the beach.

Just a little update, going back home we may drop a mpg or two. Still enjoying my F150.

441 - 460 of 479 Posts