F150 Ecoboost Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2013 FX4 Screw 3.5Eco Magnetic Gray & 2018 Lariat Screw 2.7Eco Guard (coolest color Ive had)
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So looking to open my 2018 up a little, I'm looking for opinions on the best tuners and tuning modules for the 2.7 Eco. Also, if there are ones that I should use caution on, that would be nice to know. I know alot has changed in the last few months in respect to this. I looked at the newbie thread but wanted something a bit more specific and up to date. Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
341 Posts
Year and model? It can make a difference, as well as intentions. KM

·
Registered
4,239 Posts
HPTuners seems to be the best bet for the newer 10 speed trucks and has the most tuning companies using it. You can do the MVPI2 or nGauge for HPTuners. It looks like they also have a new device called the RTD which looks like an MVPI2 without the ability to read from the truck.

SCT/Bullydog seems to have a lot of issues these days and some of the tuners are even recommending not to use them until they get it figured out.

There is the EZ-Lynk system but they do not support custom tuning/datalogging yet as far as I know. I also don't know if all the tuning companies are tuning on the platform yet. BCB is but it looks like 5Star and Gearhead do not.

Unleashed, BCB, 5Star, Gearhead, MPT, and a few others are the most popular tuners around here. They all make great tunes and it's usually pretty cheap to get tunes from multiple vendors to try them out. I have tunes from Unleashed, BCB, 5Star and Gearhead and will jump back and forth.

Stay away from SSi.

·
Registered
699 Posts
Big cat. Haha. Just started watching "tiger king". I am researching the same thing. Have a 19 2.7. Everything mentioned above is basically what I have heard from my research but I am interested to hear who you go with and why. I am between unleashed and 5 star but like others have said once you have the device it's not to expensive to buy a tune so I will likely start with unleashed and then try 5 star. I am also interested in ethonol tunes. Seems like guys are making some big Gaines there. I have heard the second gen 2.7 can run 100% e85. So something else to explore.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Just tuned my 18, 2.7 with Torrie at unleashed tuning using SCT GTX tuning device and man he doesn’t disappoint. Very responsive on emails and has answered every question I’ve had. Working on perfecting my 93 performance tune then I’m head to straight e85 which Torrie said I’d be good to run without fuel mods just tune

·
Registered
699 Posts
Just tuned my 18, 2.7 with Torrie at unleashed tuning using SCT GTX tuning device and man he doesn’t disappoint. Very responsive on emails and has answered every question I’ve had. Working on perfecting my 93 performance tune then I’m head to straight e85 which Torrie said I’d be good to run without fuel mods just tune
How do you like the 93 tune? C'mon man more details. Will be real interested to hear your review of. The e85 tune. Did Torrie say you needed to do any extra maintenance running e85 or any long term concerns?

·
Registered
3 Posts
How do you like the 93 tune? C'mon man more details. Will be real interested to hear your review of. The e85 tune. Did Torrie say you needed to do any extra maintenance running e85 or any long term concerns?
love it so far and I feel like like I might have some rooms to squeeze more gains out but due to my county being on 24 hr lockdown I haven't gone out much. I did manage to challenge a mustang to a 60ft “race”. 4hi, traction off, sport mode, launched at 2.7-3k rpm and bat out of hell is an understatement Sadly I was excited about it all and didn’t record

·
Registered
2013 FX4 Screw 3.5Eco Magnetic Gray & 2018 Lariat Screw 2.7Eco Guard (coolest color Ive had)
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for the input all. I have a 2018 Lariat Screw with the 2.7 Eco backed with a 3.73 rear. She pulls pretty well off the line now in sport mode. I have used 5Star before on my 2013 3.5 Eco that is now my son's, the 93 tune is real nice. I'm definitely going to look at the new tuning tools out there and likely try a couple of different tuners based on the input here. I agree that the 2.7 has some serious potential and it seems like Ford Engineering learned some things.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Big cat. Haha. Just started watching "tiger king". I am researching the same thing. Have a 19 2.7. Everything mentioned above is basically what I have heard from my research but I am interested to hear who you go with and why. I am between unleashed and 5 star but like others have said once you have the device it's not to expensive to buy a tune so I will likely start with unleashed and then try 5 star. I am also interested in ethonol tunes. Seems like guys are making some big Gaines there. I have heard the second gen 2.7 can run 100% e85. So something else to explore.
That was a nickname from my college football days...lol

I have 5 Star tunes for my 2013 3.5 Eco my son now owns and they are solid on the SCT X4 platform. I will keep you updated here.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts