F150 Ecoboost Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I’m thinking about upgrading from my 2012 3.5 and plan on using the new truck for commuting more. I like the idea of the fuel mileage the 2.7 produces but im unwilling to give up the 6 1/2’ box.
Does ford offer a 2.7 liter supercrew with 6 1/2 foot box and a 36 gallon tank?

I can’t seem to find one for sale anywhere...

·
Premium Member
5,671 Posts
Try out the Ford Build tools to see if you can choose the options you don't want to compromise on. Then let it look for inventory for you.

Don't know how good it is at actually finding one already built, but it WILL absolutely let you know if the options are buildable.

Screw + 6.5 + 2.7

For some reason I think it might be possible, but 4WD would nix you.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
5,671 Posts
I just checked for you.

Selected Screw, then 6.5 box, then XLT trim and the 2.7 was the "standard" drive train selected.

Adding 4WD forces you to the 5.0

Down here where I'm at that'd be about a $30-31k truck or $32-32k truck with 301A or $34-35k with 302A.

·
Registered
3,943 Posts
I’m thinking about upgrading from my 2012 3.5 and plan on using the new truck for commuting more. I like the idea of the fuel mileage the 2.7 produces but im unwilling to give up the 6 1/2’ box.

Only in 2wd. 4x4 is 5.5' bed only.

No clue why other than they suck. it's the same reason I wouldnt buy a 2.7.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

Only in 2wd. 4x4 is 5.5' bed only.

No clue why other than they suck. it's the same reason I wouldnt buy a 2.7.
Dang. Looks like I’m sticking with a 3.5 then. The only thing that was intriguing about the 2.7 was mileage.

·
Administrator
7,837 Posts
The 2.7L is only available on XL, XLT, and Lariat Model F150's for 2019...and no, you cannot get an XLT/Lariat with the 2.7L AND 6.5' bed AND 4x4.

btw, the newer 3.5L engines still will get great gas mileage...WAY better than the 1st gen Ecoboost motors.

·
Premium Member
5,671 Posts
If I could skip on 4WD, and I know I wasn't going to ever tow heavy, (I draw the line around 5500lbs) I'd love a Screw 6.5 2.7

Incredible truck for crazy low price in XLT 302A trim.

In fact, I don't think any of the other guys can even get close to the value equation of that exact build.

·
Registered
3,934 Posts

I think the 2.7L is the sweetheart at the moment. I get you on the 6.5' bed, however, depending on your use, there's always the bed extender.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I put a topper on all my trucks. 6.5 is a must have for me with kids, hunting and fishing trips. Also sleep in the bed from time to time and I’m 6’ tall. Hard to do in a 5.5 box. I don’t even know why they offer a 5.5 box. Might as well just buy a car...

·
Premium Member
5,671 Posts
I put a topper on all my trucks. 6.5 is a must have for me with kids, hunting and fishing trips. Also sleep in the bed from time to time and I’m 6’ tall. Hard to do in a 5.5 box. I don’t even know why they offer a 5.5 box. Might as well just buy a car...
Can't fault your statement on 5.5
Cuz I'd be a hypocrite since I took the same stance during my SuperDuty decades.

But now I see the light. A Screw 5.5 IS my "car". That's the point. Lol

However, it's an amazing car that can do some crazy truck duty when asked.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Does the 2.7 get that much better than the Gen2 3.5 which is better than the Gen1 3.5?
My 2014 3.5 does pretty dang good. (SCrew 5.5' 4x2)
2+ hour round trip, 90% interstate. 24.6mpg avg.
20190519_191354_1558550349368.jpg
My total average including day-to-day "city" driving and weekend interstate driving is 19.9mpg.
20190519_191403_1558550681693.jpg

·
Administrator
7,837 Posts
Does the 2.7 get that much better than the Gen2 3.5 which is better than the Gen1 3.5?
My 2014 3.5 does pretty dang good. (SCrew 5.5' 4x2)
2+ hour round trip, 90% interstate. 24.6mpg avg.
View attachment 158272
My total average including day-to-day "city" driving and weekend interstate driving is 19.9mpg.
View attachment 158274
Doing around 61mph on the highway (like you were) I would net around 28mpg in my 2018 2.7. With no wind or hills

·
Registered
305 Posts
I get about 19mpg up here (after changing tires) where there is no air lol on my 18 2.7

·
Administrator
7,837 Posts
I get about 19mpg up here (after changing tires) where there is no air lol on my 18 2.7
Not sure where "up here" is since you don't have your location on your avatar...but curious as to why your K&N intake hasn't upped your mpg? What's your take on it?

·
Registered
3 Posts
I also have a 2015 and recently went looking for a 2019 so I could get the latest safety features like lane keeping, emergency braking, adaptive speed control, etc. The salesman explained that I would have to get at least a Lariat trim level plus the most expensive options package, plus pay more on top of that to get what I wanted. The cost would be over $60,000. He then was up-front with me and said that the 2020 model will have all those things standard and at the lower trim levels. Ford is phasing in that stuff by model (the Edge has the stuff standard in 2019). Having used those features in my wife’s 2018 Toyota Highlander, I think they are great. So I am waiting for the 2020s to come out. This is something for you to think about. I would wait if I were you.

As for the size of the box, you will have to order a supercrew to get the bigger box.

·
Registered
305 Posts
Not sure where "up here" is since you don't have your location on your avatar...but curious as to why your K&N intake hasn't upped your mpg? What's your take on it?
Alberta, Canada at about 6000ft above sea level. Lol the intake did absolutely nothing for the mileage other than make it worse as i put my foot into it to hear whooshy noises XD

·
Administrator
10,123 Posts
I used to think anything less than an 8' bed wasn't a "real bed" and anything less than a 3/4 ton wasn't a "real truck".

Yet, here I am, matching my needs and my budget to my truck with a half ton 5.5' bed. I've hauled a lot of stuff in the bed, and they also make trailers. The tailgate comes down for longer things, I have plenty of straps, and they make bed extenders for even longer lumber, ladders, etc. I would venture to say that any time my 5.5' bed hasn't sufficed and I've had to step up to a trailer, a 6.5' bed wouldn't have worked either.

Sent from my Moto Z3 Play using Tapatalk

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Welp, looks like I’m getting a new Chevy with a 5.3. Hard to complain about getting a new truck for free but there are a lot of things I’m going to miss about my ford.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts