F150 Ecoboost Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
8,600 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Gotta call from my youngest son a few minutes ago as he arrived at the Sherrifs office to grab his patrol vehicle for the day. His concern was "dad, something is still running on my truck"

He's not a mechanical guru, but he thinks his dad is, so the pressure was on!
After having him open the hood, he verified that ONE of the two electric fans was running.

I had to convince him to just relax and go to work. Worse case scenario he will return to a dead battery, and that dad will go ask his forum guru's what is up. :)

What's unique about today is that for our area, it's much colder than typical. Mid 30's. His truck would rarely see these Temps.
Second, his trip was very short, so the truck wasn't likely to hit normal operating temperature. It was about a 5-6 mile trip.

I had him confirm that his expansion tank had coolant. And he stated that there wasn't anything unusual about how the truck was running or behaving.

Anyways, that's all I got. Any ideas fellas?

Sent from my SM-G988U using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
821 Posts
Was his A/C on? I’ve had mornings where if the A/C was on, the fans kicked on full. Heck even if it’s slightly overcharged it came on.

The fans do rely on ECT, trans temp, and A/C pressure.

·
Premium Member
8,600 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
So I was just about to send a link to my son for a trouble shooting technique for swapping fan relays to see if the alternate fan started to run, thus indicating a stuck-relay.

But he called me first. Told me he mentioned the issue to a "trustee" that services the patrol units. The trustee grabbed a small mallet and said "take me to the truck" When they got to it the fan was still running. He opened the hood and "gave the fuse box a whack"

The fan stopped. Lol

The trustee said "it's the fan relay. I can get you one for a hundred bucks"

My son is really a good boy. Pretty naive, but after being a deputy for about 4 years, he's harder to hoodwink. He thanked the inmate but said he'd get it fixed himself.

Life is good, and often funny/sad. I told him that it's a shame a fella with those skills and obvious mechanics experience is in jail. He said he agrees but that this gent has a weakness for a bottle and is in&out often. All I can say is that I'm grateful for his help! Hope things go better for him in the future.

·
Registered
188 Posts
Mallet...give it a whack, thats old school!;)

Reactions: snakebitten

·
Registered
431 Posts
Thanks for posting. My daughter's 2016 fusion fan runs non-stop. It will turn on within 15 seconds of a cold start. I just figured stupid ford design. Maybe not!

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
8,600 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for posting. My daughter's 2016 fusion fan runs non-stop. It will turn on within 15 seconds of a cold start. I just figured stupid ford design. Maybe not!

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk
Interesting. The hint I first came across regarding a possible stuck-relay was actually another Ford product, rather than an F150. And as stated above, it turned out to be exactly that.
But while I was poking around googling the symptom, I did notice that Ford had various fan programming that differed amongst models.

The one clue that it WASN'T Ford programming behind this particular incident was that it was new behavior. So we had that going for us. But yea, having a test relay on hand might be a good idea if you think your fan is running and it shouldn't be.

Reactions: Arkansas Eco

·
Registered
2013 Ford F150 XLT 3.5 Ecobeast SuperCrew 4X4
2,317 Posts
Ford has a long history of electrical gremlins since at least 70’s that I know of AND it is the only thing I have against Ford vehicles.
Good people can be found everywhere.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I've had that problem before. For the decade and a half before I had my F-150, I had a Jeep Cherokee. It had two cooling fans, one electric and one belt driven. The electric fan would run if the temp got too high, or whenever the AC clutch was engaged, which meant it would cycle on and off when the defroster was on. It never ran when the ignition was off, but one evening when I got home from work, it was doing just that. I looked in the PDC, pulled the relay and the fan stopped. Took it out, and drove down to Schucks to get a new one, which had to be ordered. If I left the relay out, the Check Engine light would stay on, so I put it back in. For the next week, I'd have to open the hood and thump the relay box whenever I parked the car to shut the fan off. New relay solved the problem.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts