F150 Ecoboost Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok already having issues and they started at 9000 miles. Motor would smoke out the exhaust on start up, after a minute would clear up and truck run fine. Went to dealer and they tried to tell me it was norm on the 2.7...sorry not buying it. Finally took a video of the truck smoking like train and showed the service advisors and they agreed there was an issue. Now long story short dealer determines engine is bad and needs replaced, ford has been rejecting that idea until this morning and now they want to replace the motor with a motor that has a build date of 06/2017 which is the same exact motor that is in the truck and the techs are telling me I will have the same issue down the road due to engineering flaw. I m thinking about rejecting this option and pursuing buy back or replacement. Truck has been out of service for 5 weeks. Has anyone else had smoking issues or requested replacement/buy back

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have a 2017 F150 Lariat 2.7 ecoboost 24k miles that has the same issues described in this post, excessive smoke from the exhaust when starting cold. Took it to dealer today who said it was most likely "normal." Smoke pouring from the exhaust from an engine with less than 25k miles is not normal. Will posts results of diagnosis.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I just got a quote of $650 to fix this issue on my 2015 thats 9 thousand miles out of warranty. Have you all heard of any other prices people have been quoted?

·
Premium Member
2021 Powerboost Platinum FX4 Kodiak Brown
9,449 Posts
I just got a quote of $650 to fix this issue on my 2015 thats 9 thousand miles out of warranty. Have you all heard of any other prices people have been quoted?
Can you tell us what that pays for?

Is it Turbo oil line replacement?

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1 Posts
Can you tell us what that pays for?

Is it Turbo oil line replacement?

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
I got quoted a similar amount for the turbo oil line. They replaced it and I'm still seeing smoke. I was 1500 miles out of the warranty and Ford wouldn't honor it. I'm going to send a letter and see what happens, especially since I can see this is a known issue.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I saw your post and my truck just recently start to smoke on the initial start up as well. Also a 2015 F150, going to take it for service soon and I'll let you know what happens. I purchased a extended warranty hopefully that should take care of it. We'll see...

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have a 2017 F150 Lariat 2.7 ecoboost 24k miles that has the same issues described in this post, excessive smoke from the exhaust when starting cold. Took it to dealer today who said it was most likely "normal." Smoke pouring from the exhaust from an engine with less than 25k miles is not normal. Will posts results of diagnosis.
Hi, was wondering if you ever got your diagnosis?

·
Premium Member
2013 XLT 302A 145" Screw
3,447 Posts
Condensation.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Sorry for not getting back to you sooner, I wanted to make sure the repairs they performed actually corrected the problem. So far so good!! I took it in to Ford about a month ago along with a video showing them the problem I was having. Of course after driving it there, the problem appeared to have gone away, (hints the video). They let it sit for about 24hrs or so before restarting, low and behold there was smoke coming from the tailpipe. See attachment:
IMG_20200924_113712697.jpg

Hope this helps!!!

·
Registered
2020 F150 KR 3.5EB
9 Posts
Sorry for not getting back to you sooner, I wanted to make sure the repairs they performed actually corrected the problem. So far so good!! I took it in to Ford about a month ago along with a video showing them the problem I was having. Of course after driving it there, the problem appeared to have gone away, (hints the video). They let it sit for about 24hrs or so before restarting, low and behold there was smoke coming from the tailpipe. See attachment: View attachment 168443
Hope this helps!!!
Any update? Is the TSB fix still working?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Sorry for not getting back to you sooner, I wanted to make sure the repairs they performed actually corrected the problem. So far so good!! I took it in to Ford about a month ago along with a video showing them the problem I was having. Of course after driving it there, the problem appeared to have gone away, (hints the video). They let it sit for about 24hrs or so before restarting, low and behold there was smoke coming from the tailpipe. See attachment: View attachment 168443
Hope this helps!!!
Unfortunately the problem returned after less than 300 miles of use. Back in for service again at dealership. No updates as of yet. o_O

·
Registered
2020 F150 KR 3.5EB
9 Posts
I was looking at a 2016 F150 with 75K miles for a work truck but when I started it up cold, wow, big cloud of white smoke rolled out and then cleared up after a few minutes and the run fine after that. Owner stated that is normal after sitting overnight but how can it be... quick search found the TSB on it but does not seem to fix the real problem. He has a good price on the truck and it is in great shape, I would like to pick it up but the smoke is telling me to run away.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I was looking at a 2016 F150 with 75K miles for a work truck but when I started it up cold, wow, big cloud of white smoke rolled out and then cleared up after a few minutes and the run fine after that. Owner stated that is normal after sitting overnight but how can it be... quick search found the TSB on it but does not seem to fix the real problem. He has a good price on the truck and it is in great shape, I would like to pick it up but the smoke is telling me to run away.
I would be very careful especially knowing and seeing the problem up front. This appears to be a serious problem despite the year across Ford F-150. Use your better judgement , if there was a quick and easy fix...sure. But there's not one so far. Other than the for smoke issues, it's a great vehicle.

·
Premium Member
2021 Powerboost Platinum FX4 Kodiak Brown
9,449 Posts
The issue this time of year is that it can be difficult to differentiate between the "normal" Ecoboost coldstart cloud and one that perhaps isn't normal.

We have 6 Ecoboost, 2 2.7's and 4 3.5's. They all will exhibit a fat-rich coldstart condensation cloud in the winter that can get your attention. But so far none of them are oil burners.

Sent from my SM-G988U using Tapatalk

Reactions: Eeyore

·
Premium Member
2013 XLT 302A 145" Screw
3,447 Posts
What was the outside temp at the time ? The ecoboost engines put out alot of condensation at cold startup when temps are below 50. Has alot to do with heating up the catalytic convertors and some to do with the way the system collects moisture.

·
Registered
2020 F150 KR 3.5EB
9 Posts
What was the outside temp at the time ? The ecoboost engines put out alot of condensation at cold startup when temps are below 50. Has alot to do with heating up the catalytic convertors and some to do with the way the system collects moisture.
It was about 70F, I am sure it was not condensation I was seeing as I have never seen a white cloud of condensations envelope a truck as this did and hang out for a minute and it had a light smell of oil and gas... The tailpipe was also black and soot filled but a rich running engine could cause that.

·
Registered
5 Posts
The issue this time of year is that it can be difficult to differentiate between the "normal" Ecoboost coldstart cloud and one that perhaps isn't normal.

We have 6 Ecoboost, 2 2.7's and 4 3.5's. They all will exhibit a fat-rich coldstart condensation cloud in the winter that can get your attention. But so far none of them are oil burners.

Sent from my SM-G988U using Tapatalk
This was happening back in the summer as well...

1 - 20 of 21 Posts