F150 Ecoboost Forum banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm interested in knowing if there's anyone that has purchased a 2.7 but wishes they purchased a 3.5 or vice versa with reasons why

·
Registered
1 Posts
I'm interested in knowing if there's anyone that has purchased a 2.7 but wishes they purchased a 3.5 or vice versa with reasons why

Love my '18 SuperCrew 2.7L XLT. I test drove all three popular engine choices, and decided on the 2.7 ultimately based on my needs and driving style. Don't really tow much, but still got the tow package and 3:73 gears for when\if I do. Truck is a rocket ship! It really moves, and in Sport mode - crazy how it spins the tires, and gets going... so much more than my '14 FX2 5.0L had... minus that awesome V8 sound. The 3.5L was great, just felt that I needed to have a trailer behind me - the 5.0 was sluggish with 10 speeds, the 2.7 was just right!

With stickers:

Without Stickers:

·
Registered
26 Posts
I was looking into the 3.5 but ultimately decided on the 2.7. The 3.5 I initially felt was more reliable solely on the fact that it has been in the truck since 2011. But after hours of research the 2.7 I feel is extremely reliable especially with the cast iron block. Also I don't tow ever but I usually haul. The 2.7 can do all that plus better mpg. The 3.5 would be just for the max towing if I ever needed to tow 13k lbs....

·
Administrator
770 Posts
Love my 2.7,does everything I want, no regrets on the engine choice at all. I drove the 3 main options and was blown away by the 2.7.

Sent from my SM-G950W using Tapatalk

·
Registered
137 Posts
Don't tow often enough or heavy enough to consider the 3.5

The 2.7 get's great mileage and goes like a stabbed rat!

·
Registered
137 Posts
Can't even remember where I first heard the saying, but it did make me laugh haha

Edit:

I'm pretty sure it was Jeremy Clarkson back when Top Gear was a good show..

·
Registered
7 Posts
I bought the 3.5 because we tow an RV, but if I didn't, I would have bought the 2.7. Both are great engines!

·
Registered
14 Posts
I have the 2.7 scab with 3.73 rear end and tow an RV about 6200lbs with absolutely no problem and when I dont tow, well it is just fun to drive

·
Premium Member
5,664 Posts
I was looking into the 3.5 but ultimately decided on the 2.7. The 3.5 I initially felt was more reliable solely on the fact that it has been in the truck since 2011. But after hours of research the 2.7 I feel is extremely reliable especially with the cast iron block. Also I don't tow ever but I usually haul. The 2.7 can do all that plus better mpg. The 3.5 would be just for the max towing if I ever needed to tow 13k lbs....
Actually the block is NOT cast iron. It's even better than that!

I bought 3.5 this last time. It was a tough decision because I loved the previous 2 2.7's.

So far the Gen2 3.5 has been fantastic though. Killer truck.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

·
Administrator
4,077 Posts

·
Registered
433 Posts
We tow our trailer through the Rockies. for many years I had a 2009 with the 5.4 and 6 speed. With the 5* tune it did remarkably well towing 5k lbs and loaded up with family, bikes and kayaks. I have never driven the 2.7, but needed a 6.5' box (for the bikes, kayaks, etc) with an active family of 4. Ford chose, and still chooses, to keep the 2.7l out of a 4x4 supercrew with a 6.5' box. That's why I have the truck I have now. Our new trailer is also significantly heavier with a GVWR of 7500lbs. No regrets on the 3.5, but with an 8k tow rating on the 2.7 for 2018, I suspect it would have been just fine as well.

·
Registered
228 Posts
Our new trailer is also significantly heavier with a GVWR of 7500lbs. No regrets on the 3.5, but with an 8k tow rating on the 2.7 for 2018, I suspect it would have been just fine as well.
Wouldn't be enough buffer for my liking. Once you load the truck up you'd be beyond that 8k. I went with the 3.5 SC 6.5' box 4x4 max tow. Current TT is 6700 dry but GVWR of 9000 lbs. Good chance year after next we'll switch to a TT with a dry weight of around 8000 lbs and a gross just under 10k.

·
Registered
174 Posts
I had the 3.5 in a 2016 and now the 3.5 in a 2018. I've test driven the 2.7 and 5.0 and just never could get to where I liked either of them. No regrets at all with the 3.5 and I don't tow much at all.

·
Administrator
10,120 Posts
I enjoy my 2.7. I don't tow heavier than 8000 lbs and it will do that just fine. I've had 7500 behind it from Ohio to SC. I was quite pleased and will rarely need more than that. It satisfies my desire to accelerate very well, gets 22 mpg daily, 25 hey out of a screw 4x4, and it was a cheaper option.

Baaaaaaaaaaa

·
Registered
185 Posts
As you can see, I haven’t heard anyone disappointed in the 2.7. If you don’t NEED the 3.5 it’s an awesome machine with a better purchase price and a little better fuel economy. I drive my 18 3.5 60 miles to the office and jump in a 17 2.7 that hauls tools and whatnot to the job site roughly another 60 miles. Similarly equipped I see 2 mpg better in the 2.7. Both have plenty of power for most uses. I had to get the 3.5 because I tow an 8,000lb dry tt. If it weren’t for that I’d be more than happy in purchasing the 2.7.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Administrator
10,120 Posts
As you can see, I haven’t heard anyone disappointed in the 2.7. If you don’t NEED the 3.5 it’s an awesome machine with a better purchase price and a little better fuel economy. I drive my 18 3.5 60 miles to the office and jump in a 17 2.7 that hauls tools and whatnot to the job site roughly another 60 miles. Similarly equipped I see 2 mpg better in the 2.7. Both have plenty of power for most uses. I had to get the 3.5 because I tow an 8,000lb dry tt. If it weren’t for that I’d be more than happy in purchasing the 2.7.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I'll second that. We have quite a few active members in a couple different 2.7 specific groups on Facebook. Very seldom is there anybody who doesn't claim to love, or at least like the truck.

Baaaaaaaaaaa

1 - 20 of 42 Posts