F150 Ecoboost Forum banner

61 - 80 of 95 Posts

·
Registered
549 Posts
Understood, I have a 60% DI pump for my Tremor as well as some turbos and I'll be building the bottom end soon. Gen 1's are a PITA with fuel but I was so hoping with the Gen 2 just upgrade the in tank pump and PFI injectors and go to town. I know on my Flex spraying E85 through the manifold acted like meth and gave me fuel. It was a nice combo.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #63
Not quite yet, it's been an extremely busy season for my business, so I naturally had to push something to the back burner. I have the gaskets on the way, so I'm hoping to have the swap done at the end of the month, with a dyno day to follow.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Awesome man, thanks for the response. Me and a few buddies were talking turbos and the precision’s were brought up then I remembered I haven’t heard anything from y’all in a while so just wanted to check
In and make sure I didn’t miss it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #65
The time has come, truck goes under the knife either tomorrow or Saturday. No one ever told me running 2 businesses would consume this much time in my life.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #66
Turbos are on, we just had our first baby though, so there was a slight pause on the progress while I shifted gears :)

The install was honestly not that hard, anyone that's ever turned a wrench could easily handle this procedure. When I get the time I'll do just a small write up on it for anyone interested in the details. I had very limited time to get the work done, so I only took a handful of photos along the way, there really isn't much to see though!

I also installed the Full Race radiator, and so did my brother on his truck, along with their transmission cooler. Both installs were a piece of cake, and the radiator is a beautiful piece! The turbos need a small wastegate adjustment then I'll be ready to log some runs. Pics and more details this coming weekend.

·
Premium Member
2,585 Posts
Turbos are on, we just had our first baby though, so there was a slight pause on the progress while I shifted gears :)

The install was honestly not that hard, anyone that's ever turned a wrench could easily handle this procedure. When I get the time I'll do just a small write up on it for anyone interested in the details. I had very limited time to get the work done, so I only took a handful of photos along the way, there really isn't much to see though!

I also installed the Full Race radiator, and so did my brother on his truck, along with their transmission cooler. Both installs were a piece of cake, and the radiator is a beautiful piece! The turbos need a small wastegate adjustment then I'll be ready to log some runs. Pics and more details this coming weekend.
Awesome, I’m looking forward to updated numbers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #68 (Edited)
It's alive! I'm going to break this down as simple as I can in a few different stages. Again, simple stuff or this is going to be the longest, more boring, post ever.
#1 the tear down - easy
#2 the install - just as easy
#3 the wastegates (doing a pro video on this 1 day after this post) - not even REMOTELY close to spec out of the box

Teardown.
Put the truck on jacks, drain the coolant, definitely remove the wheel well liners and taking off the tires is a huge help. You'll have to remove the air intake and outlet tubes for both turbos. Disconnect the electronics on the wastegates, they are slightly tricky to remove but pull up the red clip and push the clip in after. The driver side is the (slightly) more difficult side to remove and install. Remove the 2 nuts holding the downpipes to the flange, I did the whole install without taking off the downpipes, and I have Full Race downpipes at that. Remove the oil supply line on the side that faces you the most, and the large oil return on the bottom of the turbos. These will unscrew and pop out and are held in by an o-ring on each. The coolant supply and return is on the back half of the turbo, against the engine, you cant see it well. The coolant tubes literally slip fit inside, so 2 coolant tubes will come OFF with the turbos and 2 will be left ON the engine. You'll see this if you do the install, don't worry. The oil barely drips, but the coolant is going to make a huge mess all over the place, so be ready for it.

Lots of space to work, so don't worry

Here you can see I unscrewed the oil supply and return, and the 3 small bolts holding the turbo on, then removed the turbo.

I decided to do something a little extra, taking me back to my old DSM days

I decided to port out a set of manifolds and swap them. I just did a simple gasket match, nothing crazy at all, these pictures are the rough looking job. Before I installed them they were cleaned up very nicely and made shiny inside. Check out the differences!!

Even on the exhaust runners, there was a huge difference

Attachments

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #69 (Edited)
#2 Installation. This step is to ONLY BE PERFORMED AFTER ADJUSTING THE WASTEGATES. DO NOT INSTALL THESE TURBOS WITHOUT ADJUSTING THE WASTEGATES. RES.

On the old turbo, the housing sits flush. On the new Precisions, they do not, you'll notice this difference. It's normal and nothing to be concerned about.

Precision pic, you can see this is as flat and flush as the new compressor housing sits.

This is after the turbo is installed. You basically just reverse the order of the removal, this is not a complicated installation. Make sure to snug down the downpipes again or they'll leak. There is a PDF on the Full Race site with the torque specs, I will not be providing that information here sorry :)

Top off the coolant, double check all the fittings that you removed of course. Again, not a complicated install at all, it's not really for a complete new person though.

Startup.
Remove the connectors on the coil packs, remove the connector on the high pressure fuel pump (on the passenger side of the engine up top). Put the peddle to the floor and crank the truck over a few good times to get the turbos primed. Reconnect those and you're good to fire up the engine. Listen for leaks, if you followed the wastegate info on my next post, you won't have any CEL or wrenches.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #70 (Edited)
#3 Wastegates.

Wow. From Precision they are SO far out of spec it's not even funny. I'm posting a video of this, because it'll be easier to watch than read. The only thing I'll add to the post here is that if you skip the adjustment you'll have a wrench on the dashboard and a truck that won't work. The adjustment is very simple, so don't worry.

My truck needed 6 complete turns and no flats in order to not throw a wrench on the dashboard. This is a simple process! Adjust the wastegates, then simply do a key on and you'll know. If you get a wrench, simply use either Forscan or your NGauge and adjust accordingly.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #71 (Edited)
Results #4

I'm on a new revision from MPT and I've only had the time to make a short 4 mile drive and do 2 pulls. Wow. The power is definitely there, mainly up top where I expected it. From the small data log I did, this is going to be a nice upgrade. The seat of pants meter says hold tight everyone, results are going to be nice.

I'll do a few small street revisions and then go sit on the dyno again. Real results in 1 to 2 weeks.

·
Registered
1,346 Posts
Very nice and thorough write up. I am going to be doing turbos soon on my 13. I already swapped out my 11 turbos before I sold it. It wasn't hard overall. But some things were a PITA. I am happy to see someone running an MPT tune though!

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #75 (Edited)
Quick update: Motor on the my brothers truck finally let go. It is no more. The last dyno was posted here, since that dyno he went full E85 and added timing and more power. My guess is it was making 650 wheel and felt pretty amazing. Not sure what component went (not my truck!), but it's headed to RMB for a complete build. I'll make sure to post pics and more information.

His truck generated a LOT more heat than mine sprayed on meth. Was it the heat? Not sure yet. Was it the timing and heat combo, who knows.

Word of advice, to those on full E85, if you push the limits you'll find it. Trust us on this one! All good either way, we were prepared and ready for this to happen on either truck. Like I said from the beginning, we did this for the sport of it and for the community :D

He had a dash cam video that caught the smoke at least, the video quality is NOT great but I'll post it for everyones enjoyment.

·
Premium Member
5,928 Posts
First, I love Yaws "style"

Eyes wide open and knowing the risks. Even kinda WANTING to find out what that limit is.

And yea, Yaw found it. Lol
650 on a stock longblock is just more than Ford built the thing to handle. And I don't think I fault them for that. Although I am convinced that with the economy of scale Ford is working with, they really cheap out on some things that could be greatly improved for a small increase in costs. A good example would be pistons/rings.

But I'll stop before I get too wound up.

Sounds like Yaw are fixing to address those very weaknesses anyways! B U I L T

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4,817 Posts
Why did you blow it up? Now you also have to pay to go through the turbos too.

You also forgot the factor of e85, means he was probably pushing the timing. High timing is alot harsher on the piston.

·
Premium Member
5,928 Posts
Why did you blow it up? Now you also have to pay to go through the turbos too.
Not that I have power of attorney to speak for them, but I don't think they were directly trying to "blow it up". But it's been pretty clear that their research budget had funding in it to afford the risks they were experimenting with.

It's not exactly the same for me, but I have a paid for "built" motor for if/when I experience a catastrophic failure. So I kinda relate. But I also admit that I ain't nearly as crazy as these two brothers! Lol

I'm enjoying their fun though.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
255 Posts
Excessive cylinder pressure is what breaks motors. I believe the stock engine + e85 is capable of more than 650hp provided large turbo are installed (not stock frame). But its a gamble. When pushing the limits on stock frame turbochargers, exhaust manifold backpressure skyrockets (pre turbine) and EGT becomes too high. this is very hard on the pistons and rods. I personally have 70k miles on my gen1 with twin EFR6258 and still going strong. Im waiting for something to fail so I can swap an RMB longblock in, but that hasnt happened yet

61 - 80 of 95 Posts