F150 Ecoboost Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 137 Posts
Discussion starter · #1 ·
Thanks to our friends over at Full Race, my brother and I secured 2 sets of the newly released bolt on Precision turbos. We both want to maintain the "factory appearing" look, so for now, the bolts on are perfect for us. Both trucks are already setup with Full Race bolt ons, tuned by MPT, and run either e50 (soon e85) or meth injection.

As most know, the turbos on the 18 are INDEED different, so why did he choose to try these bolt ons? Why not is the question. For viewing pleasure, we are going to deliver dyno results from my 2017 3.5 Lariat and his 2018 3.5 Platinum. We'll of course do pulls before we do the installs, AND after. We have knowledge of the expected flow differences, so we expect to see some gains.

We have to give credit to Collin at Full Race for taking our phone calls for months while these turbos were in the works, he has been extremely amazing to work with! To Mike at MPT for emails and phone calls helping, he is extremely excited to see where these turbos take the 2nd gen. Last but not least, Ryan Brown from RMB Motorworks for advice along the way, again a great person to talk to!

More pics to come, I don't want to spoil all of the fun at once!

Tire Wheel Automotive wheel system Auto part Automotive tire
Auto part Engine Automotive engine part Carburetor Automotive super charger part
Automotive lighting Yellow Auto part Headlamp Vehicle
Auto part Automotive engine part Automotive super charger part Automotive starter motor Automotive alternator
Auto part Wheel Engine Automotive wheel system Automotive engine part
Auto part Automotive wheel system Vehicle Turbine Wheel
Alloy wheel Wheel Rim Spoke Tire

Discussion starter · #2 · (Edited)

This has taken months to put together. I want to say that Mike at MPT has been insanely helpful with countless revisions, near 20 for me and I couldn’t even tell you how many for my brother. I’m sure other tuners are just as great, so if you’re a new person on the board here, do your research and find who best suites your needs.

Inside the dyno:
46ft, 80% humidity, 62F

Up first, my 2017 3.5L Lariat 4x4
Full Race V2 Intercooler kit
Full Race 3” ProStock catted downpipes
Full Race 3” Cat-Back resonated exhaust
Full Race 3” Dual air intake
170-degree thermostat
ProMeth 2 stage boost reference controller
ProMeth Sniper II 3” injection system – 2 stage
Cut in near the bottom of the charge pipe leading to the throttle body
ProMeth 8GPH stage 1, 10GPH stage 2
Stage 1 on at 5psi, stage 2 on by 17psi, full pump at 17psi
VP M1 70% Distilled water 30%
91 octane gasoline
N-Gauge – MPT More Power Tuning 91PRX Meth tune

All pulls were pretty consistent for results. I was given 2 revisions to test before getting a final revision we tested on the dyno. Mike said there was more time we could have put into tuning my truck, but I’m happy with the baseline results before I swap out these turbos for the Precision bolt-ons.

Tune 1 carried more boost and you would think It makes more power, but with the 2017 turbos, it does NOT. You can clearly see in the data log that the log looks great, but makes less power up top.

Text Line Slope Plot Parallel

Tune 2 drops about 3-4psi on the top end, which netted higher power in the end. At the time, if I had made a small meth adjustment for max pump and second stage, this COULD have possibly netted more power as well. I was likely around 80-90% injection for the pulls on tune 2, which is clearly shown on the log with the air temps and fuel trims. The problem since then has been corrected, of course.

Map Text Line Slope Parallel

Overall timing climbs to the normal 18-21 degree range on my setup and drops intake temps to over 30 degrees sometimes. Graph below shows a Tune 1 vs 2 difference

Electronics Text Line Technology Font

2018 3.5L Platinum 4x4
Full Race V2 Intercooler kit
Full Race 3” ProStock catted downpipes
Full Race 3” Cat-Back resonated exhaust
Full Race 3” Dual air intake
170-degree thermostat
VP 100 pump and e85 gasoline making e50 mix
Mixed right now is about e53
Fuel-It flex fuel kit
N-Gauge – MPT More Power Tuning e50 tune

We only had to test 1 real revision on this truck, as he’s gone through so many revisions it’s not even funny. The mix of gasoline he runs is just legit as it gets. He runs 100 octane pump gas mixed with e85 (tested to about e75) for a daily driver. It’s no wonder with the fuel and mods, that it makes great power.

Timing on this truck is normally always holding 20 degrees, rarely dropping below the 15-16 degree ranges. Of course with the mix, he’s sometimes seeing a lower range of pressure, which will be fixed shortly when he installs the XDI HPFP60.

Text Line Pattern Design Diagram
Text Line Slope Parallel Plot

As shown on the comparison graph, we can finally put the turbo differences to rest. The 2018 turbos on paper, are indeed more powerful. The power difference up top is real. Both trucks, even the fueling, are arguably almost identical.

Text Line Green Slope Diagram

The results overall were sort of surprising to us for actual power. Are the results really this real? That’s up for debate of course and we would love input from others on this as well. We’re finally starting to see other tuners and trucks run similar numbers, either way, we were only interested in a baseline before we add these new turbos.

Up next. Both of us have been interested in RMB Motorworks bottom end builds. I plan on making some small meth injection changes and have the ability to log the spray on my N-Gauge. My brother will be adding his XDI pump and running as much near as e85 as possible, also logging the real fuel content on logs.

In the matter of science and for the members of the forum, both of us are prepared to blow stuff up. I have full logs available for anyone interested in seeing the numbers on .csv file.

Definitely subbed

Discussion starter · #5 ·
Nothing to see yet. For the small difference it could make, we secured 2 sets of raptor manifolds from a very awesome source. Brother has decided to run full e85, so he picked up the Extreme DI 60 pump ;)

Auto part Exhaust manifold Vehicle

Headlamp Auto part Automotive lighting

want to see these things eat!!!

Reactions: BobRoss
Discussion starter · #8 ·
Meth is NO turn key setup, it takes serious time and commitment. It's honestly like a marriage. Here is a quick log file, that spark though :eek:

Text Line Plot Slope Font

Any idea on the compressor specs for the precision turbos? Or at least what the inducer diameter is?

Discussion starter · #11 ·
Last post before the dyno, hoping this week, finalizing some remote tuning schedule options now. Made a small meth change, spark is looking amazing, this thing pulls hard. It's hard to imagine what it will feel like with new turbos.

Spark up to 16-21 on several logs, boost holding strong up high, IAT2 taking a huge dive during pulls (not this log ha), fuel trims looking good

Text Line Plot Map Ecoregion

IAT2's and a dyno. They are not best friends! Lol

Tuner-dudes are a patient lot when they are determined to dial it in.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

We are very excited for this guys!

The Precision compressor wheels are 39.x/53.5mm Ind/exd.
So basically Same size/smaller than 2018+ HO oem turbo compressor wheel which is 40.75/53.4 and the oem turbos cost 1110.92 on Tasca and the precision’s are 5699.99 with core. I know size of wheel isnt everything but there is no way the precision’s will be a 4589.07 dollar improvement over the oem 2018 HO turbos, if they are even better at all.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Discussion starter · #14 ·
Data is up, comments and suggestions

Discussion starter · #17 ·
Going to add these 2 ProMeth pics, as I'm sure people will ask how its setup.

Solenoid shown below for my 10GPH nozzle. Sprays into the fierce winds created by the little turbos, spreading the juices of power love.

Pipe Auto part
Auto part

Discussion starter · #20 ·
That’s a nice setup.
Indeed, much thought went into this

Wow the 2018 def shows the difference in just the turbos since all else is basically equal. Thanks so much for posting the results and data.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
No problem, happy to contribute something usable for everyone.

1 - 20 of 137 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.