F150 Ecoboost Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
41 - 60 of 137 Posts
Sorry I assumed the ford racing turbo pn m-9438-35ta was the same as the full race
Turbos. Or at least the same size compressor wheel.

I didn’t know this truck was a limited with the HO turbos which is why I said that. So this 2018 does have the HO turbos?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Re read and it does say this is a platinum, my bad.

This is actually better because I want to see have the precision does against the ho turbo since it actually has a smaller inducer.

Ps I think full race should come out with there own turbo upgrade. One that is either A in the same price range as their older one. Or keep it at that 4K price but actually do a full upgrade to turbine side, larger wheel and custom housing and a compressor wheel
In the 46-48mm range with a custom housing. That way it will actually be worth the cost. That’s what I was expecting from the precision. Either a larger compressor wheel only (like it is) but be in the 2200-2300 no core price. Or be an all out new turbo with custom cast housings etc and be in the price range it is now.

Patience there Magyar. Lol

There's development going on continuously.
You must know that, right? It's certainly no secret even here on this forum.

Just be glad that we Ecoboosters aren't being lured continuously into half-baked products that are rushed to the unsuspecting. We're really quite fortunate on this platform, in that regard.

I much prefer this dilemma over that one!

By the way, as big of a hijacker as I am, I don't want to be guilty of derailing this build thread. If you start a fresh one to discuss Gen2 Turbo possibilities, I'm betting there's plenty to be discussed. I'll play, that's for sure. :)

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Patience there Magyar. Lol

There's development going on continuously.
You must know that, right? It's certainly no secret even here on this forum.

Just be glad that we Ecoboosters aren't being lured continuously into half-baked products that are rushed to the unsuspecting. We're really quite fortunate on this platform, in that regard.

I much prefer this dilemma over that one!

By the way, as big of a hijacker as I am, I don't want to be guilty of derailing this build thread. If you start a fresh one to discuss Gen2 Turbo possibilities, I'm betting there's plenty to be discussed. I'll play, that's for sure. :)

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
I was just about to say to the OP that I was sorry for so much crap in his thread lol. I didn’t mean to clutter it up this much.

Discussion starter · #46 ·
Didn't have a lick of spare time yesterday for those meth pics, but I'll work on them later today. I'll post up the controller, the flow gauge and the tank.

shoot me an email when you are getting ready to do the turbo install. I want to help you calibrate the wastegate on the bench before the install - will also be a great opportunity to make a short video and photos so others can see how easy it is to do
Definitely will, is it something we can do in a week? I can definitely get some really nice pics up and a video

I was just about to say to the OP that I was sorry for so much crap in his thread lol. I didn’t mean to clutter it up this much.

No worries :)

Reactions: Blown F-150
Sorry I assumed the ford racing turbo pn m-9438-35ta was the same as the full race
Turbos. Or at least the same size compressor wheel.

I didn’t know this truck was a limited with the HO turbos which is why I said that. So this 2018 does have the HO turbos?

The ford racing, fr and borla are all the same. These are bigger than 11-16 (17 and 18 not sure on) with EFR style wheels. They are the same turbo on GT and 17 raptor.

The 18HO engine is bigger then that upgrade and has a different material too they say.

The benefit of the ford part is it comes with all gaskets and hardware.

The ford racing, fr and borla are all the same. These are bigger than 11-16 (17 and 18 not sure on) with EFR style wheels. They are the same turbo on GT and 17 raptor.

The 18HO engine is bigger then that upgrade and has a different material too they say.

The benefit of the ford part is it comes with all gaskets and hardware.
Ok cool, thanks for that info

Discussion starter · #52 · (Edited)
Here we have a picture of the AEM flow gauge, a colorful needle to view and visually stimulating. The little red LED to the right of it is the FAULT LED for the meth controller, if there is ever a problem the red light blasts in your face. The red push button next to that is the purge button, only really used when taking things apart and just making sure the juice is ready to hit under boost. The open hole leaves room for something I want to add in the future. This setup does not cut off any important views of my gauge cluster either.
Vehicle Gauge Car Tachometer Measuring instrument

I used the factory intercooler support bracket to mount a tank onto. I welded a small piece of aluminum on top of it, so that the brackets holding the tank down had something to strap to. The fitting off of the tank has just enough room for clearance. The hard line is unfortunately the only way I was able to hook up the flow meter at the moment, the rest of the lines are all braided. I mounted the pump on another aluminum plate and bolted that plate to the frame with 1/4x20 bolts. There is just enough room to make it all happen
Vehicle Auto part Car Engine Automotive exterior

The 2 wires leading off of the tank are for a tank low level meter, it throws a yellow LED by the factory headlight controls to let me know if the juice is low. I used a large sized brass fitting and cut it into the tank, attaching a hose leading up to the top of the engine bay. The cap on the tank itself was SEALED with e6000 goop. I've never had a single leak in this system, it has been 100% bulletproof.
Auto part Pipe Fuel line Engine Plumbing

I cut in a small brass vent fitting on the top of the tank and ran a hose to the top, fitting a K&N breather on top (probably good for 30 of those wheel horses). The allows me to fill 99.9% of the tank, and the hose itself leading to the top.
Auto part Vehicle Engine Car Fuel line

I used a plastic hose bib fitting and brass cap to close the filling point.
Motor vehicle Vehicle Car Auto part Hood

I installed my ProMeth controller next to my right foot area, I actually have a small thumb tack covering the reset button now so that I can push it when I make tiny adjustments (have to reset for adjustments to take place). Don't mind the blue tape, its keeping my previous settings for when I bolt on the new turbos.
Vehicle door Vehicle Technology Car Auto part

Thanks so much for the pics! Glad to see the steering column gauge pod doesn’t block anything, that’s where I wanted to mount so gauges but was worried they might get in the way. Thanks again!

Discussion starter · #56 · (Edited)
Nothing too important to update today. Expecting a small pallet of goodies from RMB Motorworks (wait wait, no engines yet), then it's install time. Prepping my turbos to make a video of setting the waste gates.
Wanted to show a quick timing log after I adjusted the meth injection from the dyno run, for scientific purposes.

On the 2nd revision, we pulled back boost a tad and made more power, but I didn't catch the adjustment in time so the spray was down a tad. I took a 4 degree hit in timing up top, due to roughly a 9% difference in fueling on the short trims. I really wish I had caught this in time, it definitely would have made a power difference, I'll have to clearly remember to note this on the turbo change.

WITH the change
Map Text Line Slope Parallel

ON DYNO without the adjustment (from previous post)
Map Text Line Slope Parallel

​18GPH of juice omgweeee

Reactions: snakebitten
So let me get this right, I seem to be confused a bit. I can just throw some E85 + 100 octane at the wife's Navigator with a tune and make 600WHP? I know the title says precision turbos but none of the descriptions talks about them as part of the mod list, is that just inferred?

Discussion starter · #58 ·
The post states there would be dyno results before and after the turbo changes, there are currently only dyno results from before the turbos (factory turbos), there is no second post with additional charts yet (new turbos). The list of mods are posted in the thread, and on the video, both trucks are far from stock.

As far as the wifes Navigator I have no clue, but you're the one with the 600 wheel horse Flex and would probably know that answer better than me :)

The post states there would be dyno results before and after the turbo changes, there are currently only dyno results from before the turbos (factory turbos), there is no second post with additional charts yet (new turbos).

As far as the wifes Navigator I have no clue, but you're the one with the 600 wheel horse Flex and would probably know that answer better than me :)
OK just wanted to make sure I wasn't being dumb, it happens from time to time as I get older. :)
Good thing is the 18 Navi has the same HO engine so super excited to hear that setup, 600WHP in the wife's daily for a track outing sounds amazing. :)
Just curious why not just upgrade the PFI injectors vs the DI? I would assume that would be the cheapest and easiest way to make fuel available on the Gen 2's.

Discussion starter · #60 ·
OK just wanted to make sure I wasn't being dumb, it happens from time to time as I get older. :)
Good thing is the 18 Navi has the same HO engine so super excited to hear that setup, 600WHP in the wife's daily for a track outing sounds amazing. :)
Just curious why not just upgrade the PFI injectors vs the DI? I would assume that would be the cheapest and easiest way to make fuel available on the Gen 2's.
All good. I'm not familiar with the Nav, but assuming its on the same platform you could seemingly get close to those numbers if you wanted!

We were steered that direction for the current needs and wants for fuel. Of course down the road, he'll likely do more fuel mods, but that will come with a bottom end and even larger turbos. For now, the both of us want to do this step by step and post results for everyone to see. Like we said on the dyno post, we're both ready to blow things up for the sake of science, and the forum here :) On the flip side, if I would have bought the Chevy, I would have saved more money lol.

41 - 60 of 137 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.