F150 Ecoboost Forum banner

21 - 31 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
6,623 Posts
Also, according to the 2019 Ford Ranger towing guide, the Ranger is capable of 750 lbs weight carrying. If a 4500 lb Ranger is capable of 750 lbs I wouldnt be afraid to put at least that much on my 157" wheelbase, 6200 lb F150 with the right hitch.

View attachment 157462
Did you read the small (2) details?

When properly equipped ie: WDH...

Sent from my SM-G870W using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,402 Posts

·
Registered
3,510 Posts

·
Registered
443 Posts
All of the Curt receivers I tried to purchase (many issues with 2), I went with another aftermarket reciever. The curts were loose in comparison to the one I have now. The curts had so much play and I think that attributed to the collar cracking on both. That are cheap steel. The new one has been solid even with the same rating and same trailer

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
46 Posts
I agree with the last comment. I also have found different cheaper recievers will fit more sloppy. And although electrical tape will work, it leaks a sticky mess as it ages. I prefer the tire tube sleave to take up the clunking noise. It's cheap and easy and won't turn all sticky as it ages. If the receiver fits more sloppy use a motorcyle tube for thicker rubber.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Maybe this should be in another thread but it seems relevant. What is the best way to clean up a little rust on the receiver? And what is the best way to keep that from happening again? Would anti-rattle clips help in this regard?

·
Registered
3,402 Posts
FYI, I crawled under a Ranger yesterday at the Ford dealer while I was grabbing some parts, and the Weight Carrying Tongue weight on the hitch stick is 750 lbs. It does not even have a separate callout for WDH.

·
Registered
6,623 Posts
FYI, I crawled under a Ranger yesterday at the Ford dealer while I was grabbing some parts, and the Weight Carrying Tongue weight on the hitch stick is 750 lbs. It does not even have a separate callout for WDH.
That's huge lol! More weight carrying capacity than the F150. Better designed receiver.

·
Registered
243 Posts
Maybe this should be in another thread but it seems relevant. What is the best way to clean up a little rust on the receiver? And what is the best way to keep that from happening again? Would anti-rattle clips help in this regard?
I'm a little late to the party admittedly but what I do after winter is wash the truck, then spray the reciever with some fluid film, it kinda forms a paste almost then I just wipe it out with a rag.

·
Premium Member
2,686 Posts
Well here we go... keep the peanut gallery to a minimum Lol. I had a lot of play in my receiver like most people here have complained about even on my new curt receiver and shank and ball. I put two welds on top and two welds on one side the length of where it travels in receiver. Afterwards I filed down the weld until it fits inside receiver using a straight edge along weld to file down the high points to keep it straight. Now I didn't make it tight just enough to take out the (what I call excessive) play. Then I painted hitch. Will see how it works. Some might think I'm crazy or what ever but we'll see how it works.
Now I'm no welder as you see lol:(:(:(

Old shank on truck
IMG_3833.JPG
New curt shank
IMG_3832.JPG

·
Premium Member
4,505 Posts
We can certainly tell who's retired around here. ;)

Nicely done. Even painted to look fresh.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

21 - 31 of 31 Posts
About this Discussion
30 Replies
18 Participants
snakebitten
F150 Ecoboost Forum
F150Ecoboost.net is the best Ford F150 Ecoboost Forum with discussions on 2011+ F150 Ecoboost Trucks. Discuss performance mods, towing questions, wheels, tires, lift kits, and much more!
Full Forum Listing