F150 Ecoboost Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
537 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
There were two little plastic bags with Ford Parts in my glove box. I was told one was a plastic cap to put in place of the open end of the rearview camera wiring if I were to remove the tailgate.

The other is a, well a, it looks like some sort of a relay. Can anyone tell me what it is for? My guess is an extra trailer towing relay, but then I am guessing.

·
Registered
24 Posts
I found that the relays were for charging the battery in a trailer when towing. Don't know why they leave it out. if you look in owners manual for that spot you'll see the relay and fuse are missing so thats where i put them. they use to leave the break one out thats how i figured it out hope this helps

·
Registered
1,529 Posts
That makes a whole lot of sense! I was wondering why I was getting to the campground with almost dead batteries on my TT. I saw the bag of relays in my door pocket and figured they were just spares. I will have to go put them in today.

SPPD

Reactions: Wayne

·
Registered
943 Posts
I've been wondering what the spare parts were for since November when I got my truck. Went out and checked and sure enough the spots that were mentioned were empty. Like SPPD said, "I was wondering why I had nearly dead batteries when I got to the campground". Mine are now installed. Thanks guys for bringing this to my attention. I don't understand why our dealers or salesmen didn''t tell us about this or, why Ford didn't install them on a Max Tow Truck. I hope everybody here that has trailer with a battery reads this and gets the fuse and relay installed. Thanks again to the F150 Ecoboost Forum.

·
Registered
1,529 Posts
I've been wondering what the spare parts were for since November when I got my truck. Went out and checked and sure enough the spots that were mentioned were empty. Like SPPD said, "I was wondering why I had nearly dead batteries when I got to the campground". Mine are now installed. Thanks guys for bringing this to my attention. I don't understand why our dealers or salesmen didn''t tell us about this or, why Ford didn't install them on a Max Tow Truck. I hope everybody here that has trailer with a battery reads this and gets the fuse and relay installed. Thanks again to the F150 Ecoboost Forum.
I agree 100%

My dealer knew from the first time we went in that we were buying the Eco to tow our travel trailer. He even referenced our TT several times during his pitch. But then again he had never heard of the Max Trailer Tow Package before either. Thanks to the members here for figuring this out!

SPPD

·
Registered
943 Posts
The next time I stop into my dealer we will have a discussion about this. If our trailer battery would have gone dead on one of our long pulls we, could have lost everything in the refrigerator. I can guarntee you my Bride would not have been a Happy Camper. Even though the fridge runs on propane you have to have 12 volts to run the controls. Ford dropped the ball on this.

·
Registered
537 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
OK, now lets not place the blame on the Sales Person. He did his job, he showed you the truck, shared the information he knew, served as the middle man between you and the sales desk.

This is why we all get owners manuals with the truck, the options vary to wide for the sales person to stay on top of every little detail. And you also spend only so much time together for him/her to educate you on the basics.

This forum and others like it serve to teach us more than most in the profession will ever know about their product. And I will say right up front that this forum is the absolute best I have found on our trucks. And you know what makes it the best.....Well, you do!!!! All of you!!

·
Registered
1,529 Posts
OK, now lets not place the blame on the Sales Person. He did his job, he showed you the truck, shared the information he knew, served as the middle man between you and the sales desk.

This is why we all get owners manuals with the truck, the options vary to wide for the sales person to stay on top of every little detail. And you also spend only so much time together for him/her to educate you on the basics.

This forum and others like it serve to teach us more than most in the profession will ever know about their product. And I will say right up front that this forum is the absolute best I have found on our trucks. And you know what makes it the best.....Well, you do!!!! All of you!!
I agree with you except the owners manual did not say if you plan to pull a trailer with a battery you must insert the fuse and relay in your door pocket. I cannot for the life of me figure out why they would leave these out, especially on a truck that has the Max Tow package. I am not mad, but just curious why they would do this. SPPD

·
Registered
943 Posts
I'm not angry either. I feel an obligation to educate my salesman and the owner of the dealership about this. Maybe no other new owner will have to find out about this like we did.

Reactions: jonrjen and SPPD

·
Registered
537 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Back many years ago Ford would put the relays for the trailer brakes in the glove box along with the pigtail used to hook up a brake controller. With the number of Superduty trucks I purchased over the years I had a few sale people tell me that the pigtail was there, but only one mentioned that the relay had to be put in for the trailer brake to work.

I guess this is the difference between a seasoned, educated, dedicated, professional sales person and a sales person. And I agree that if you can further the knowledge of a salesman then do so. It may help the next customer down the line just as this post seems to have opened many eyes.

·
Registered
122 Posts
I can only GUESS that it might have something to do with the fact that Ford doesn't want you towing until you have rolled over 1k miles. Or maybe they did just drop the ball. Either way, as a salesperson of this product I appreciate learning new things about everything I sell. I am not a seasoned vet but with tools like this site and wanting to learn I plan on being one. So thanks for contributing and always keeping things positive. To EVERYONE!

Reactions: Wayne

·
Registered
943 Posts
See there we already educated one.:) Just kidding Iownandsell. You sound like a salesperson I would like to deal with but, don't think it would economical feasible to drive from Michigan to Colorado to buy a vehicle.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Thanks Wayne! And the money I would save you would pay for that one-way plane ticket and all the fuel to get back! Lol!

·
Registered
943 Posts
The next time I stop into my dealer we will have a discussion about this. If our trailer battery would have gone dead on one of our long pulls we, could have lost everything in the refrigerator. I can guarntee you my Bride would not have been a Happy Camper. Even though the fridge runs on propane you have to have 12 volts to run the controls. Ford dropped the ball on this.
Finally got a chance to stop by my dealer today. My salesman at first didn't believe me but, after I showed him the owners manual and the fuse box where the relay and fuse went he thanked me. I assured him that I wasn't mad but, thought all the sales people should be aware of what the parts are for. He was impressed and did not know about the radio being able to be turned on without the key, and the ability to show your transmission position by flipping the plus or minus symbol on the gear shift lever. Oh, the wonderful things we learn on this forum. My salesman was not aware nor did he think the dealership had received any notices about the intercooler problem.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Finally got a chance to stop by my dealer today. My salesman at first didn't believe me but, after I showed him the owners manual and the fuse box where the relay and fuse went he thanked me. I assured him that I wasn't mad but, thought all the sales people should be aware of what the parts are for. He was impressed and did not know about the radio being able to be turned on without the key, and the ability to show your transmission position by flipping the plus or minus symbol on the gear shift lever. Oh, the wonderful things we learn on this forum. My salesman was not aware nor did he think the dealership had received any notices about the intercooler problem.
I have not heard about the radio thing? How do you make it play with the key? I did a search and didn't find anything, check so other sites and people were talking about wiring your radio direct to the battery, I assume this is not what you are doing.

·
Registered
1,529 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Question guys. do i need to install the fuse and relay if I'm only pulling a 12 foot cargo trailer? sorry im kinda new to this whole thing. and thanks for helping me figure out what the extra pieces where for. never had good turnouts in the past when i ended up with extra pieces.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts