F150 Ecoboost Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2,923 Posts
Was hoping for an update on these as well. Did these ever make it to production?

Reactions: Codycat91

·
Registered
2,923 Posts
I guess these are a non-starter?.. (n)

·
Registered
2,923 Posts
Intercoolers are becoming dime a dozen. Unless you can hit <$500-600 USD the competition gets pretty fierce beyond that. Plus for 11-14 the used market is only going to start increasing as time goes on. What's lacking are some decent, no frills, simple to install hot pipes. And nobody makes a set of cold intake side pipes that fit ......

Reactions: BRoell

·
Registered
2,923 Posts
I'd have to imagine they are a super tight fit. The stock pipes don't leave much room in there at it is. Sorry for your troubles, but appreciate the update. Keep us updated on how they perform once you get them on.

·
Registered
2,923 Posts
I would believe they flow better if you were flowing enough volume, but I am sus that these engines in stock form flow more volume than the stock tubes can handle. Maybe I am wrong.

The thing is, when you increase power on these trucks, its done through more boost. You are flowing the same volume through the tubes, just at a higher pressure to achieve more density. The cubic feet per minute is not changing since you did not change the volumetric efficiency of the motor, so the tubes should not be under additional "stress".
I agree with this, however to me it seems there are a few restrictions in the pipe where the cross-section area appears lower than the housing on the turbo. If this is the case then a larger pipe diameter should improve spooling lag? The time it takes to reach the same density should be lower since it can move the same amount of air faster. No?

Bicycle part Automotive exterior Bumper Nickel Auto part
Bicycle part Composite material Nickel Bumper Gas

Reactions: snakebitten

·
Registered
2,923 Posts
what's the secret on getting them to fit? Apparently the cold side won't fit with a stock intercooler and bov.
Have you tried removing the top intercooler bracket so you can push the intercooler towards the radiator? If that doesn't work, I'd pull the intercooler and get the pipes bolted down on the turbos first, then mess with the IC connections.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts