F150 Ecoboost Forum banner
1 - 20 of 75 Posts

·
Vendor
1,040 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2011 & 2012-2013 F150 EcoBoost aFe Magnum Force Stage 2 Intake Install, Dyno Numbers

Here are the Dyno numbers and install instructions from our AFE Stage 2 Ecoboost install. Just like our Airaid install and dyno runs, the truck was in 3rd gear and we are running 91 octane (our fuel in AZ is absolute junk, so it may not even be 91). All of these runs were done on the same day within a couple hours of each other. We installed the AFE intake and did a run with stock tuning and surprisingly didn't see much peak power or torque gains. However, once we added tuning the combination of parts really work up our project truck.

Here are some pics of the install (16 More Here)

AFECAIInstall1.JPG AFECAIInstall8.JPG
AFECAIInstall15.JPG AFE Intake Completed Install 2.JPG

Here is the dyno run that made the most power (SCT Handheld and AFE Stage 2 Intake)

aFeStage2intakeandSCTPerformanceTuneDyno.JPG

Here is the Dyno from the AFE Stage 2 and the Edge Color Touch Screen (View Combo Packages)

aFeStage2intakeandEdgeRaceTuneDyno.JPG

More Dyno runs and info - (view our entire blog post)

On the 2nd dyno run I posted our Boost gauge on the dyno was acting up, the boost was 17 PSI not the 5 it reads.

At the end of the day I had my choice of intakes airaid or Afe and tuners, SCT or Edge. I left the Afe Stage 2 intake and the Edge color touch screen on our 2011 F150. I like the monitoring and the look of the edge tuner and I think the AFE looks great installed. After these 2 items were left on the truck I took an 80 mile roush trip (Mostly Highway) and got 21.5 MPG. Cruise was set at 70 MPH most of the way. Im not sure how that compares with other intakes and tunes but I an very happy with 500 Flywheel Torque and 21+ MPG. Let me know if you guys have any questions about these products.

F150 Ecoboost MPG real world.JPG

·
Vendor
1,040 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Also we tested this intake with the optional AFE lid/ cover. We lost 20 RWTQ! The AFE Stage 2 intake is not loud at all, so I don't see needing this lid. If you add the lid you have completely enclosed the air box, so really you are back to a stock box with really nice filters. We have a comparison video of the the intake with and without the lid we will post next week.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Bill
Nice set up. I am looking at this same set up for my 2013 F150 EB. I have used the Edge tuner on my last two F150s. Have you changed out the exhaust yet and if so what did you use?
Thanks.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I am curious, does the AFE Stage 2 intake affect the Air/Fuel Ratio calculation by the ECU due to only monitoring air flow in one of the intake tubes?

Here are the Dyno numbers and install instructions from our AFE Stage 2 Ecoboost install. Just like our Airaid install and dyno runs, the truck was in 3rd gear and we are running 91 octane (our fuel in AZ is absolute junk, so it may not even be 91). All of these runs were done on the same day within a couple hours of each other. We installed the AFE intake and did a run with stock tuning and surprisingly didn't see much peak power or torque gains. However, once we added tuning the combination of parts really work up our project truck.

Here are some pics of the install (16 More Here)

View attachment 327 View attachment 328
View attachment 329 View attachment 330

Here is the dyno run that made the most power (SCT Handheld and AFE Stage 2 Intake)

View attachment 331

Here is the Dyno from the AFE Stage 2 and the Edge Color Touch Screen (View Combo Packages)

View attachment 332

More Dyno runs and info - (view our entire blog post)

On the 2nd dyno run I posted our Boost gauge on the dyno was acting up, the boost was 17 PSI not the 5 it reads.

At the end of the day I had my choice of intakes airaid or Afe and tuners, SCT or Edge. I left the Afe Stage 2 intake and the Edge color touch screen on our 2011 F150. I like the monitoring and the look of the edge tuner and I think the AFE looks great installed. After these 2 items were left on the truck I took an 80 mile roush trip (Mostly Highway) and got 21.5 MPG. Cruise was set at 70 MPH most of the way. Im not sure how that compares with other intakes and tunes but I an very happy with 500 Flywheel Torque and 21+ MPG. Let me know if you guys have any questions about these products.

View attachment 333

·
Vendor
1,040 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Our dyno shop had the same question. He couldn't believe that it was only reading 1 side. The air fuel that was rear in the tail pipe during the runs was very healthy and he said he had no reason to be worried. That was even after we put down 463 RWTQ.

·
Registered
151 Posts
thanks for some great info! I have a 2012 fx4 with the afe stage 2 and a 4" heartthrob exhaust, now I'm getting ready to buy a tuner. does the sct tune have the ability to take advantage of these mods? I just want a good tuner that gives me a tow/haul tune and a good perfomance tune that is reliable and able to return it to complete stock setting. Do you think the sct x3 would be a good fit? Going to buy one soon. Oh and living in oil rich Alberta,Canada you would think 93-94 octane would be readily available but not the case hard to find so I always run 91...

·
Vendor
1,040 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
SCT or Edge would be great options. If you are looking at a lower price the SCT Xcal 3 is great. If you can spend a little more the livewire has the exact same tunes, but you get the monitor as well. The edge CTS is also really popular with the ecoboost crowd. It may have to do with the back up camera option. Either one will get you good performance and towing tunes and both can be returned to stock. Below is the edge CTS installed in an ecoboost.

85200_edge_cts_evolution_touch_screen_installed-3_med.jpg

Attachments

·
Registered
151 Posts
Thanks Bill. I think for me SCT is the way to go. Now those dyno #'s were with there canned tune correct? and just an afe intake.... do you guys offer any custom tunes? just curious. Like I was saying I want a tune that takes full advantage of the exhaust and intake together. I don't need the back up camera option as my truck is loaded up. Thanks for all the info and dyno #'s makes it alot easier to make a decision. finger is getting itchy, I think i'm almost ready to pull the trigger on this.

Attachments

·
Registered
588 Posts
That is a nice video clip. It is impressive to see the bump in power with just a little more boost.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Yes,thanks for the clip! Those are some pretty high #'s for stock! I"ve seen lots of clips and chart's that don't boast near those #'s stock. Must have been a perfect day to tune. At any rate still nice to see!

·
Registered
112 Posts
I agree. I have the same setup SCT 91 canned tune and AFE Stage 2. My dyno results were far from those. My runs were done on a mustang dyno. I am told that the numbers are generally lower when compaired to a dynojet but there is quite a difference.

·
Registered
112 Posts
I just installed my AFE CAI so I haven't done any testing with it yet. And I ran 4th gear not 3rd. Could that be the difference? Or did I get a under powered truck? There I deffiently a difference with the tune. I guess it is hard to compare results from different dynos. It chirps the 20's shifting into 3rd so I think that I am getting hung up on #'s too much. Something that I did notice though. I made max torque at about 2650rpm. I am gonna guess that you are running a higher gear than 3.73.

Thanks for the info Bill. It makes for some interesting reading. I will put my dyno results on later if anyone wants to see them.

·
Registered
16 Posts
For those who have the edge cts. howd you mount it? i cant find any mounts on the edge website

·
Vendor
1,040 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Edge does offer a mount for the 2009+ F150s, its a littel hard to find on thier site. Ill see if we can get it listed on our site today. Ive heard the factory boost numbers do vary a little, My guess would be that the numbers vary because of the way each person reads boost (So some have a tuner, some have a cheap ebay boost gauge, some have a nice autometer gauges and some use the dyno gauge).

·
Registered
112 Posts
OK here is one run on the Mustang Dyno with only SCT 91 Octane tune. The guy said the Mustang Dyno runs 12%-15% less than a Dynojet Dyno. I have since added an AFE stage 2 and i have a 4" AFE exhaust on its way. I am going back to the mustang dyno for a custom tune once all of the parts are on. Then I will do another pull on a different dyno just to see the difference.

Bill I wonder if a tune was done with just the AFE stage 2 CAI(no exhaust) if the gains would be closer to what AFE claims. IMG_0180.JPG

·
Registered
151 Posts
OK here is one run on the Mustang Dyno with only SCT 91 Octane tune. The guy said the Mustang Dyno runs 12%-15% less than a Dynojet Dyno. I have since added an AFE stage 2 and i have a 4" AFE exhaust on its way. I am going back to the mustang dyno for a custom tune once all of the parts are on. Then I will do another pull on a different dyno just to see the difference.

Bill I wonder if a tune was done with just the AFE stage 2 CAI(no exhaust) if the gains would be closer to what AFE claims. View attachment 582
I can't make out the results....could you type the results in? I am getting a custom tune done on monday. I will let you know what happens. I use 91 octane as well. I also have a 4" exhaust and the stage 2 afe CAI on it. I am very curious to see what happens. At least I will know for sure what my truck will do.

·
Registered
112 Posts
I Didn't realize how blurry it turned out. It is 290hp and 379tq then add 12% if you compare to dyno jet. I think 324hp and 408tq. Making 408tq at just over 2600rpm

·
Registered
327 Posts
I have been looking at this aFe intake for a while. It is nice too see what it would do if I were to get it for my truck, with I think is a must now. That is a healthy boost to MPG, HP and Torque there. Thanks for the post :)

1 - 20 of 75 Posts