F150 Ecoboost Forum banner

41 - 60 of 75 Posts

·
Registered
112 Posts
Depends on the tuner. We use 5 Star tuning for alot of our ecoboost tunes. Id put his tunes up against any dyno tune, but some others leave alot on the table.
I know what you are saying. 5 star, livernois ect have put alot of time into perfecting their tunes and I know that I would be satisfied. But the tuner here is good at what he does. Direct injection especially. He has put alot of big numbers out of his shop. Mine would be the first ecoboost so there would be a learning curve. I also like that if there is a problem he would get me back on and make adjustments. But its easier just to call and order a tune. Decisions, decisions. ;)

·
Premium Member
2,425 Posts
I went with Livernois, rather than a dyno tune, due to my lack of available time to get it dyno'ed and it was about $600 cheaper to get a custom tune from a company than do it myself. 5 star and Livernois both make VERY nice tunes. Those were the 2 I was stuck deciding between.

·
Registered
112 Posts
I went with Livernois, rather than a dyno tune, due to my lack of available time to get it dyno'ed and it was about $600 cheaper to get a custom tune from a company than do it myself. 5 star and Livernois both make VERY nice tunes. Those were the 2 I was stuck deciding between.
Did you already have the programmer or did you purchase it from livernois as well?

·
Premium Member
2,425 Posts
Purchased the programmer along with 4 custom tunes and the Airaid intake. Stage3 offers similar packaging deals with SCT. SCT allows many different tuning options, such as 5 star. Livernois incorporates the AIW module, which only allows LMS tunes.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Yeah I have the SCT now. Just looking for a tune to go with the mods that I have. Don't get me wrong SCTs tunes make really good power. But I think the other's have the tunes dialed in to go with the mods. Waiting to hear back from livernois and 5 stat. Still on the fence on which one to go with. I think that I'll goto the dyno for tuning when I put the meth injection on it.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Purchased the programmer along with 4 custom tunes and the Airaid intake. Stage3 offers similar packaging deals with SCT. SCT allows many different tuning options, such as 5 star. Livernois incorporates the AIW module, which only allows LMS tunes.
I just noticed that you said Livernois uses AIM. Does that mean that I can't get a email tune from Livernois for my SCT?
I see on their site they offer SCT email tunes for Taurus SHO,Flex,Lincoln ect. But I don't see F150. I sent an email asking but haven't heard anything back yet.

·
Premium Member
2,425 Posts
5 star is a very well made tune. I would have no issues getting the 5 star if I had an SCT already. I'm 100% for 5 star. My choice of LMS had nothing todo with any negatives regarding 5 star tuning.

As far as I know, the F150 ecoboost tune is only available with the AIW tuning system.
Don't hesitate to go with either!

·
Registered
105 Posts
Another company that does custom tunes that I have recently been looking into is ecoinjection. They did diesel trucks for awhile and have started doing the eco's now. Not too bad priced in the custom tunes either.

·
Registered
1,029 Posts
Our dyno shop had the same question. He couldn't believe that it was only reading 1 side. The air fuel that was rear in the tail pipe during the runs was very healthy and he said he had no reason to be worried. That was even after we put down 463 RWTQ.
that is not a mass airflow senser. it is strictly an intake air temp senser....

·
Registered
16 Posts
Bill, I have a 2012 ecoboost with a banks auto mind programmer, thinking of going with the banks monster exhaust then a afe stage 2 intake. do you think a down y cat-less pipe, like mak and stainless steel puts out will work? or do you suggest just using the cat back exhaust only. thanks.

·
Registered
16 Posts
The down pipes will mount up to the banks exhaust, they give good power, but remember that they are not emissions legal.
OK, what about just going with the solo mach x duals, instead of the banks exhaust? Is the banks auto mind programer any good?

·
Vendor
1,523 Posts
OK, what about just going with the solo mach x duals, instead of the banks exhaust? Is the banks auto mind programer any good?

The AutoMind isn't "bad" by any means, it's limited in comparison to an SCT device that can support custom tuning. If you are just going to do an intake and cat-back kit, then you'd probably be fine with whatever Banks "canned" tuning comes on the AutoMind, but if you are serious about grabbing downpipes, then you'd pretty much have to grab an SCT tuner with a custom tune to keep from hurting your motor, throwing a CEL, and to get proper power.

Now, I'm not saying chuck your AutoMind out of the window. It's just a limited device in the gas world, and if you're willing to stay within those limits, you'll be fine. If you want push beyond that, however, you'll need something more robust.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Wow, ok thanks for your advise. Hmm decision, decisions

·
Registered
20 Posts
I see on the Livernois site the have a package deal. Is it worth while or is it better to mix & match.
If you feel it is better to mix & match, would you please provide suggestions?
Tuner?
CAI?
Down Pipes?
Mid Pipes?
Exhaust or Cat-back?
Resonators? I'm not even sure whst this is...lol.

I am very new & this is all a bit overwhelming. I know I am asking a lot, but any help is appreciated.

·
Vendor
1,523 Posts
I see on the Livernois site the have a package deal. Is it worth while or is it better to mix & match.
If you feel it is better to mix & match, would you please provide suggestions?
I don't know how Livernois puts their packages together, so I can't really say. I do know that our F150 EcoBoost Packages save you money over buying parts individually.
Pretty much any SCT device is what I'd recommend. That way you can choose from a wide variety of different tuners if you didn't want to go with our own custom tuning from 5-Star.

Maximum power is the aFe Stage 2 kits, assuming you're doing any tuning. If you're not planning on doing any tuning, then it really doesn't matter, frankly.

Down Pipes?
Downpipes, again, are entirely up to you and it really depends on your end power goals and how much noise you're willing to deal with. Solo's downpipes seem to be a hit as of late, though I would recommend staying catted just to keep sound in check.

Exhaust or Cat-back?
There are a ton of cat-back options for these trucks. My personal favorite (so far) is the Solo Mach-X kit. We have a thread going of exhaust testing that we're updating on the regular.

Resonators? I'm not even sure whst this is...lol.
A resonator is just a type of smallish muffler that quiets down your exhaust even more than it already is. Some aftermarket cat-back kits are actually just "resonator-back" kits to help keep drone down.

I am very new & this is all a bit overwhelming. I know I am asking a lot, but any help is appreciated.
We've all been there once. No biggie. :cool:

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
Also we tested this intake with the optional AFE lid/ cover. We lost 20 RWTQ! The AFE Stage 2 intake is not loud at all, so I don't see needing this lid. If you add the lid you have completely enclosed the air box, so really you are back to a stock box with really nice filters. We have a comparison video of the the intake with and without the lid we will post next week.

By adding this lid, it doesn't make it completely sealed like you mentioned bc there is a cut out in the fender area straight into air box.

I will bring this up because I just ordered this cover yesterday.

I will see what it does with my current setup.
I'm looking to install this for three reasons.
1) less sucking sound. I'm actually getting tired of all the sucking noise and want to hear more of just the Turbo whistle that my dps produced.
2)wouldn't this be more of a cai by pulling cooler air out from under fender area like it's setup. Instead of hot motor air.
3) in real bad raining conditions it may be possible to pull in moisture without the lid. Imo maybe not.

I actually thought going into this that it may actually help with cover, bc it will function more as A true cai.
After seeing yall lost 20tq, I'm not too excited like I was. have yall done any further testing on this lid?

Curious to hear from anyone running this lid and what yall think about this.

Thanks!

MPT tuned....Kings of the Street!

·
Registered
36 Posts
I have the lid. I ran without it first. Like you said, I was tired of the sucking sound. I had enough of that with my snorkel in my jeep. I like the lid. I still get the loud turbo sound with no sucking noise. I don't even notice the drop in power that people are seeing on the dyno. I haven't towed anything yet either though. I am happy I purchased the lid.

41 - 60 of 75 Posts