F150 Ecoboost Forum banner

61 - 75 of 75 Posts

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
Thanks for the reply. Looks like i will like it. The main thing im after is the sucking sound got to go. Ot was cool at first but not so much now.

If I happen to notice a power decrease, no problem I can just take it off for the races. ..

I'm thinking on the street the loss isn't going to be as big as it was on the dyno. On the street there Is going to be moving cooler air to be sucked in.

MPT tuned....Kings of the Street!

·
Vendor
1,523 Posts
I actually thought going into this that it may actually help with cover, bc it will function more as A true cai.
After seeing yall lost 20tq, I'm not too excited like I was. have yall done any further testing on this lid?
We only tested lid on versus lid off using Edge's canned tuning, so if you have a custom tune, your results may not be quite as severe.

As far as the lid turning the kit into a "true" cold air kit: my theory is that yes, the air you're pulling in is cooler, but you're pulling in less of it at a lower velocity through the OEM box's air scoop. Without the lid, the filters are yanking in air in a much larger arc to give you an overall larger charge air volume at a much faster air velocity. The thing is CAI design is a balance of flow volume, temperature control, and air velocity. Throwing the lid into the mix upsets that balance to some extent. How much is the real question.

Honestly, given that you're custom tuned and have a ton of other modifications, I doubt you'd lose a ton of power. You could contact MPT and see if they need to do anything different with their tuning. If they say no, then the difference is probably not significant.

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
We only tested lid on versus lid off using Edge's canned tuning, so if you have a custom tune, your results may not be quite as severe.

As far as the lid turning the kit into a "true" cold air kit: my theory is that yes, the air you're pulling in is cooler, but you're pulling in less of it at a lower velocity through the OEM box's air scoop. Without the lid, the filters are yanking in air in a much larger arc to give you an overall larger charge air volume at a much faster air velocity. The thing is CAI design is a balance of flow volume, temperature control, and air velocity. Throwing the lid into the mix upsets that balance to some extent. How much is the real question.

Honestly, given that you're custom tuned and have a ton of other modifications, I doubt you'd lose a ton of power. You could contact MPT and see if they need to do anything different with their tuning. If they say no, then the difference is probably not significant.
Great thanks for the advice! I will do that.

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
Well cover has been on since yesterday. I haven't noticed any negatives!

Matter of fact is feels better. I can't prove it but it feels more responsive. I'll report back after a few weeks. It also sounds 100x better.

I also talked to Mike with MPT, he said the cover makes no difference on or off. It's the same.

Also no tune changes needed.

Mike runs the cover on his which is currently the faster ecoboost f150 in the country! That makes me feel good about it. If it had any negative impact I don't think they would run it.

·
Premium Member
1,872 Posts
While they are a great company with fair pricing,they still have not answered many question's ..Like why is the base dyno number so high for one..There is just no way in hell that a ecoboost truck will make 357rwhp stock even if it was done on a dyno on the north pole ??? I for one wonder if the reason they can not explain it it is because either they are showing someone elses video,which is fine,or if the dyno numbers came from the dyno being feed the incorrect info by mistake on the first pull..

Either that the truck had a tune first and added the intake next,or if it has other mods not listed already which would explain the truth...because other wise they are saying that they added 80hp with the tune and the Intake which makes more sense,but that tuner alone is normally worth about 50rwhp...

·
Vendor
1,523 Posts
While they are a great company with fair pricing,they still have not answered many question's ..Like why is the base dyno number so high for one..There is just no way in hell that a ecoboost truck will make 357rwhp stock even if it was done on a dyno on the north pole ??? I for one wonder if the reason they can not explain it it is because either they are showing someone elses video,which is fine,or if the dyno numbers came from the dyno being feed the incorrect info by mistake on the first pull..

Either that the truck had a tune first and added the intake next,or if it has other mods not listed already which would explain the truth...because other wise they are saying that they added 80hp with the tune and the Intake which makes more sense,but that tuner alone is normally worth about 50rwhp...
We showed up at Extreme Performance, put the truck on the dyno, did a 3rd gear pull in tow/haul mode. These were our base numbers with absolutely nothing on the truck. Feel free to take a look at the dyno graph below. It has all the atmospheric information and dyno specifics right on it.

Regardless of the numbers, there can be huge variability between trucks and the dyno itself. What you need to be looking for is the gain that specific modifications can make as either a percentage or portion of the base power figures, and not the power figures themselves.

What I'm saying is this: our horsepower numbers are skewed high, but it wasn't because we had anything done on it. It was likely the way we ran it, combined with whatever margin of error there was in the dyno, and regardless of the fact, we only did these runs to give a reasonable example of what kind of gains you could actually get out of those mods out here in real life.

Secondly, if we really wanted to lie, wouldn't we want lower base numbers so that we can then sell you all this stuff? I'm not exactly sure what you think we have to gain by exaggerating horsepower.

Thirdly, I'm a little bit insulted at being called a liar. Not to toot my own horn or anything, but I feel like I provide honest and straightforward answers on here without pressuring anyone into making a purchase. I was there for those installs and runs, I know what I saw (I'm walking around in the unedited, raw video). I questioned the horsepower a bit way back when, but dyno results are not an exact science and a lot of different factors play a role in what end up with besides factory-quoted numbers.

Fourthly, I'm not even really sure how relevant any of these dynos are anymore, given that custom tuning is much more reliable, prevalent, and more effective. Not to mention, Edge has done tuning and firmware updates that probably changed figures, as well.

Look, if you're still bothered by the dyno results or anything else about us at Stage 3, you're more than welcome to give us call, shoot us email, PM me or Bill, or start a thread in our vendors section, and we'll do our best to address your concerns.

·
Premium Member
1,872 Posts
I understand the dyno is a tool,and it doesn't matter what the base line is,and its all about the gain,and it is really more about avg Numbers not the peak that some worry so much about...Its just the fact that you had the base listed as being the stock Hp numbers...but the simple fact reminds there is no way it should of put down those numbers on a stock truck period if the dyno was set up correctly....I am not calling your honesty into question,otherwise i would of said THAT OUTRIGHT.You guys seem to offer a fair price,and good customer service which i do not always seen in other company's,and I hope you continue to grow,but like i said something is wrong with the results if the base line is that far off...It for one doesn't show what the correct peak numbers are,and the gain may also be incorrect which is common when the dyno has the wrong setup figures imputed into it when its set up....

Either way its not like you guys would gain from this because you didnt make either one of the products,or did the dyno on the truck....It also imop would not make a difference to you since you sell many different products from different company's all for the same reason...So I am not trying to say that you some how decided to dyno the truck incorrectly thinking that you would gain from it...I am just pointing out that unless there is a freak of a truck out there thats got 50-70 more hp than any other ecoboost motor built,something was just not set up correctly....Meaning the numbers are not correct,bottom line....So if someone wanted a truck with 380rwhp and purchased that setup thinking its what they were getting in truth they may be far from it,and that is the main reason for pointing this out......

·
Premium Member
1,872 Posts
Like I said I think from what I have read,and seen your a great bunch of guys at stage 3,and I am thankful for company's with good customer service,and go out of there way to be helpful...Other wise I or anyone in my family would not do business with you...thks..

·
Vendor
1,523 Posts
I am just pointing out that unless there is a freak of a truck out there thats got 50-70 more hp than any other ecoboost motor built,something was just not set up correctly....Meaning the numbers are not correct,bottom line....
I'm not sure where you're getting that "50-70 hp" number, given that Full-Race did a pull where they got 320 horsepower and 349lb-ft out of a four-wheel drive truck, but like I said, dynos can be skewed pretty significantly due to ambient conditions, individual vehicles, and the specifics of the dyno, and I still think our numbers are high for whatever reason. I will say that Dynojets tend to read a little higher than Mustang Dynos, but again, it's irrelevant if you're only looking at the gains made on a specific truck for a specific set of mods, which brings us to:

So if someone wanted a truck with 380rwhp and purchased that setup thinking its what they were getting in truth they may be far from it,and that is the main reason for pointing this out......
No one should ever read a dyno comparison like that, and if that's the interpretation that either you or another customer got, then I apologize. For any set of runs, the only thing you should be taking away from them is the percentage gains between a base run and a modified/tuned run.

Basically, you can't have the expectation that you'll get x power or y torque out of z mod, just because Stage 3 (or anyone else) did it. You have to look at it as "Stage 3 (or anyone else) got 357 horsepower and 385 torque as a baseline, and after their mods, they got 379 horsepower and 463 lb-ft. I can reasonably expect an 8% gain in horsepower and an 18% gain in torque from those same mods on my own truck (assuming same drivetrain/tire size/etc)." That's why the raw numbers don't really matter all that much, because even if the results are skewed, they're skewed both ways. Does that make more sense?

If not, seriously, shoot us an email, give us call, PM myself or Bill. I'm pretty good about responding to PMs when I'm in the office. We can get more nitty-gritty if you still have issues.

·
Premium Member
1,872 Posts
I am going to order some stuff from you guys,as you have shown me that you are a first class operation...and I also want to thank you for the sponsorship of the Nascar fantasy games...

·
Registered
2,175 Posts
I am going to order some stuff from you guys,as you have shown me that you are a first class operation...and I also want to thank you for the sponsorship of the Nascar fantasy games...
Stage 3 has been great to me... fantastic operation, great support on this forum and a genuine interest in making the customer happy.... can't go wrong with this vendor.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

·
Vendor
1,523 Posts
Stage 3 has been great to me... fantastic operation, great support on this forum and a genuine interest in making the customer happy.... can't go wrong with this vendor.
Thanks guys! Remember to call us directly or shoot me a PM before you order, and we'll try to work out a deal.

aboostedf150, I know your build is kind of monstrous and complex, so we'll do our best to triple-check fitments and address any concerns you have before you order.

·
Registered
2013 Platinum
336 Posts
I am curious, does the AFE Stage 2 intake affect the Air/Fuel Ratio calculation by the ECU due to only monitoring air flow in one of the intake tubes?
I have an AFE and have always wondered this as well! With the sensor only measuring one tube does that effect anything, any ever find a real answer to this? I’m guessing because it’s pre turbo it’s not a big deal?

61 - 75 of 75 Posts