F150 Ecoboost Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Discussion starter · #1 ·
We have been using 5star to custom tune our ecoboost trucks for some time now. We have had great success with Mike over at 5 Star and we are ready to take our ecoboost custom tuning offerings to the next level. We are now offering Free tunes for 6 months when you buy a qualifying part. So if you have a tune from us and you buy a part from us that requires additional tuning, we will send you the tune for free. Check out the ecoboost custom tuning page. This page also contains info on how to pull strategy from your ecoboost PCM.

F150 EcoBoost 5-Star Custom Tuning & Loyalty Tunes

Hi Bill,

Have you ever had an Ecoboost you could not tune? I have tried an SCT and a Edge tuner and neither one could connect to my EMU. I spent countless hours on the phone with customer support with both companies. They had me record data and send it to them. SCT even sent a data recorder! What they came back with was my truck transmission controller thinks its a 6.0 Powerstroke! At that point both companies bowed out gracefully saying they could not tune my truck. Any ideas? BTW its a 2011 FX2 with tow package.

Hi Bill,

Have you ever had an Ecoboost you could not tune? I have tried an SCT and a Edge tuner and neither one could connect to my EMU. I spent countless hours on the phone with customer support with both companies. They had me record data and send it to them. SCT even sent a data recorder! What they came back with was my truck transmission controller thinks its a 6.0 Powerstroke! At that point both companies bowed out gracefully saying they could not tune my truck. Any ideas? BTW its a 2011 FX2 with tow package.

Maybe you should go to your local dealer and get a new update of your PCM. There is an update recently for all vehicles including 2013s for emission & fuel economy. If there is an issue with re-tuning your PCM, then your dealership will discover it and have to fix it. Then you should be able to re-program your truck.

Maybe you should go to your local dealer and get a new update of your PCM. There is an update recently for all vehicles including 2013s for emission & fuel economy. If there is an issue with re-tuning your PCM, then your dealership will discover it and have to fix it. Then you should be able to re-program your truck.
Not the issue. Recently had the intercooler replaced under the TSB which included a reflash. Tried the Edge tuner again after the reflash and the same issue. Also had it done when I had issues with the SCT tuner before that. I need a tuner manufacturer to chime in. There is something with the trans controller in my PCM. Seems like a real good way for Ford to stop tuners. Just sayin.

Not the issue. Recently had the intercooler replaced under the TSB which included a reflash. Tried the Edge tuner again after the reflash and the same issue. Also had it done when I had issues with the SCT tuner before that. I need a tuner manufacturer to chime in. There is something with the trans controller in my PCM. Seems like a real good way for Ford to stop tuners. Just sayin.
Ask you dealer. Claim it was just an Edge Scanner (not tuner) that you wanted to monitor your engine and they claimed it was the wrong vehicle.

Also, you should verify your VIN# (including the PCM). That is how most tuners determine which vehicle they are working with.

BUT, this is an issue that you need your dealer to fix for you. Obviously there is something Ford can do IF they can "reflash" but no one else can.

Discussion starter · #7 ·
Hi Bill,

I have not had an eco that we can not tune yet. Did they have you pull strategy?

I have not had an eco that we can not tune yet. Did they have you pull strategy?
Yes many times. SCT even sent a "Sniffer" tuner to pull more data. That's when they found the transmission error. Edge had me send data back to them and they discovered the same thing. Each company said I could send them my ECM for bench test but that's out of the question.

Whats involved to change an ECM? I guess Ford would have to input VIN data, security data etc. I was thinking that could be a way around but at a much higher expense!!!

Out of curiosity, how does it run?

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk
It runs fine. The trans in D shifts smoothly. 6th gear 100 kph = approx 1700 rpm engine speed. Tow/Haul mode works very well in stop/go traffic. Almost like having a manual trans. All other transmission functions work fine. I have not driven another Ecoboost so I have nothing to compare it to.

It runs fine. The trans in D shifts smoothly. 6th gear 100 kph = approx 1700 rpm engine speed. Tow/Haul mode works very well in stop/go traffic. Almost like having a manual trans. All other transmission functions work fine. I have not driven another Ecoboost so I have nothing to compare it to.
That's cool, even if it thinks it's a diesel... :)

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Ford or anyone with a Ford VCM/IDS can fix that, It would involve an actual reflash not just an update. My recommendation would be to go to ford or any1 who has an IDS and request that they reflash the truck entirely by the vin number. More than likely when they did the intercooler the PCM was reflashed but not the TCM.

If they do that by the vin and the problem persists, then another issue exist.

Isn't it going to look strange showing up at a dealership asking to reflash the TCM. I can hear it now...Why do you want that sir? Oh I think I need it. or My tuner doesn't work. or maybe just "it shifts rough". What excuse would work? The truth isn't going to cut it!!!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.