F150 Ecoboost Forum banner

1 - 20 of 104 Posts

·
Vendor
897 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Seems like we get more ecoboost cold air intake options everyday. And thanks to the Maf issue between 2011 and 2012 each company (That makes a full intake) has 2 options. AFE tops the list with Stage 1 and Stage 2 for 2011 and 2012-13. Here is a run down of the options:

AFE Ecoboost Intakes:

Stage 1 from AFE (8 HP and 13 Ft Lbs)

[h=1]2011 F150 EcoBoost 3.5l aFe Cold Air Intake System [/h]
[h=1]2012-2013 F150 EcoBoost 3.5l aFe Cold Air Intake System[/h]
54-12061-1a_400.jpg

Stage 2 from AFE (32 HP and 54 Ft Lbs) Our Top Seller :D. The AFE stage 2 has gotten a bad rap because of the air intake noise, AFE now offers the Stage 2 Lid to help cancel out that noise.

[h=1]2011 F150 3.5L EcoBoost aFe Stage 2 Cold Air Intake[/h]
[h=1]2012-2013 F150 3.5L EcoBoost AFE Stage 2 Cold Air Intake[/h]
54_12182_400.jpg
54-12188D1600_400.jpg

Ecoboost intake from K&N (11 HP and 17 Ft Lbs)

[h=1]2011 Ford F150 3.5L EcoBoost K&N 63 Series Cold Air Intake[/h]

2011_2012_ford_f150_3_5l_ecoboost_k_n_63_series_cold_air_intake_k_n_63_2583.jpg

Bully Dog Ecoboost Intake ( 25HP and 9 Ft Lbs) These are Bully dogs numbers and Yes, they seem incorrect.

[h=1]2011 F-150 3.5L EcoBoost Bully Dog RFI Cold Air Intake System[/h]

bud51202.jpg

Airaid Ecoboost Intake ( 20HP and 39 Ft Lbs)

[h=1]2011-2013 F150 AirAid Cold Air Intake (3.5L Ecoboost)[/h]

I can only attach 5 pics per post. So Airaid didnt get a picture. Any of these intake will work with a programmer. Like I said above our top seller is the AFE Stage 2 intake. We have a package with the AFE stage 2 and the edge tuners. If you guys are looking for an intake, give us a call or send us a PM and we will get you the best price.

·
Registered
589 Posts
I really Like the AFE Stage 2 intake! What is the big rip on the sound without the lid? This is the first I have heard of it getting beat up on for noise.

·
Vendor
897 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
A couple customers thought it was too loud. I think if you have run cold air intakes before you know what to expect. Some of us are used to running open filters on big V8s, so we know what to expect. AFE must have had a couple complaints as well if they spent the time to build the lid. Either way, its still our top seller and I dont see that changing anytime soon. Are you running a tuner with the Stage 2 intake?

·
Registered
589 Posts
LOL I haven't purchased the AFE yet working that into the truck on the next phase along with tuner, exhaust, down pipe, and maybe methanol spray . First phase was long term body &bed protection and tire upgrade (I.E. 3M Protection Wrap, Front & Rear Mud flaps, Arctic tolerant Spray in Bed liner, E rated tires, etc).
But the AFE Stage Two is the brand and model I am going with. I am not worried about it being too loud as that comes with all CAI. I had one on my old V8 and nothing was better than Full throttle and the sounds of the CAI.

·
Vendor
897 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
So call me when you are ready to do Phase 2 and we will get you a package deal on the AFE, tuner, down pipe and exhaust.

·
Registered
589 Posts
Will do thanks! I am sure the shipping to Alaska will kill me but we have grown use to not being apart of the US when it comes to that LOL! :D

·
Registered
1,529 Posts
Quick question,

If I went with the AFE stage 2 as my only modification will my Fuel Economy be negatively affected? I want to stay away from a tune until the factory warranty is up. I will be using this truck to Tow a long heavy Camper and just want it to breathe a little better. I have put an exhaust on every vehicle I have ever owned, but I am getting to the age where I appreciate a nice quiet ride.

Thanks,

SPPD

·
Vendor
897 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The AFE (Or any intake) can gain you miles per gallon, but you must be driving for MPG. Some of our customers want to see how much power they got, drive around with it to the floor and then call about their mileage going down. I would expect to see 1-2 MPG improvement with the intake. Probably only 1 if you are towing. I agree about the exhaust, I haven't added an exhaust to mine either.

·
Registered
860 Posts
I've up'ed the amount of attachments per post (images) to 25 per post. You should be able to go back in and edit the message and add the rest of the photos. Thanks for all posting all the different options!

·
Vendor
897 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
We will be testing the AirAid intake and the AFE Stage 2 intake on the dyno tomorrow with the Edge and SCT tuners. We will post results Friday.

·
Vendor
897 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Just got off the dyno with the AFE stage 2 intake, AirAid intake, SCT Tuner and Edge Tuner. It was a long day and we have a ton of info, installed pictures, dyno sheets and our own comments about each product. We will sort through all the info and start posting dyno sheets tomorrow. By the way, We get this question alot, we saw 14.8 Lbs of boost on the stock ecoboost cold air intake and stock tuning.

·
Registered
1 Posts
recently purchased a 2013 FX4 3.5L Ecoboost, and was looking at getting the AFE Magnum FORCE Intake System and ACH Force XP Cat-Back Exhaust System. with the truck being so new having a hard time finding pictures of these installed on the truck. mostly trying to find any issues/tips with installation.

·
Vendor
897 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Here are some pics of my AFE Stage 2 installed.

AFE Intake Completed Install 1.JPG

AFE Intake Completed Install 2.JPG

We will also be writing install instructions with pics later today. I will post that also. The only issue that we had was it takes 2 people to hold the tubes and filters together while someone tightens the clamps.

·
Registered
3 Posts
With the AFE Stage 2 intake, I noticed the MAF sensor is only monitoring one intake tube. Do you think this will cause any issues with fuel/air mixture, due to the ECU only registering half of the actual air intake?

·
Vendor
897 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
With the AFE Stage 2 intake, I noticed the MAF sensor is only monitoring one intake tube. Do you think this will cause any issues with fuel/air mixture, due to the ECU only registering half of the actual air intake?

My dyno shop asked the same thing. He was really interested in that. Ill get the AFE Dyno sheets posted soon. Our air/ fuel was really good, even with the tuner on the race setting. We made over 500 Flywheel Ft Lbs and never ran lean.

·
Vendor
897 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Did you run the truck with the stock air box and the stage 2 back to back with no other changes?
No we did not. We did test stock, and then install the airaid intake and do back to back runs. The airaid made little to no power by itself. We later did an AFE only run and found about the same thing. They were not back to back runs but the Cylinder head temps and outside temps were the same. The runs were done about 1.5 hours apart. Ill post the AFE dyno info soon.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Might be a stupid question, but I just picked up my Ecoboost truck this past Friday. I am looking at the AFE stage 2 Cold Air Intake, I see you sell a CAI/tuner package, my question is it required to reprogram after installing the AFE stage 2?

·
Vendor
897 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Might be a stupid question, but I just picked up my Ecoboost truck this past Friday. I am looking at the AFE stage 2 Cold Air Intake, I see you sell a CAI/tuner package, my question is it required to reprogram after installing the AFE stage 2?
Absolutely not a stupid question. You can install the AFE stage 2 with no PCM tuning required. We found on our 2011 project truck that the intakes without the tuners didnt make much power. This isnt to say you wont pick up some unmeasurables, like throttle response, MPG etc. Also be careful on the 2013, I think Edge is the only company that has a tune that works on the 2013. The 13 computers are a little touchy. I have the 2013 AFE Stage 2s in stock and can get it shipped today if you want one.

·
Vendor
897 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
1 - 20 of 104 Posts
About this Discussion
103 Replies
39 Participants
[email protected]
F150 Ecoboost Forum
F150Ecoboost.net is the best Ford F150 Ecoboost Forum with discussions on 2011+ F150 Ecoboost Trucks. Discuss performance mods, towing questions, wheels, tires, lift kits, and much more!
Full Forum Listing