F150 Ecoboost Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Vendor
897 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
We tested the 11-13 Ecoboost F150 airaid intake on our 2011 F150 Ecoboost project truck yesterday. The testing was done at Extreme Performance Tuning in Phoenix, AZ (Thanks to Chris and Marty for all the time spent on this).The intake installed very very quickly and fitment was great. It looks really nice with the huge filter they include. We tested the airaid with the EDGE CTS Tuner and the SCT Tuner.

Installing the airaid intake (For 7 more installing pics - click here):

AiraidInstall7.JPG

AiraidInstall9.JPG

AiraidInstall8.JPG

Dyno Run with Edge CTS Tuner and AidAid Installed (For 3 more dyno runs - Click Here)

Bills EcoBoost Edge  Airaid Dyno Run.JPG

Overall the airaid is a good choice for easy install and great power gains with a tuner. Feel free to ask questions, thats why we did this to get you guys info.

Info About our Dyno Runs:
The truck had to be dynoed in 3rd gear.
The conditions (ie. weather etc) are on each dyno
The truck has no exhaust upgrades, completely stock.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Did you do a totally stock run and then a run with JUST the Airaid? Curious of the gain, if any from JUST the Airaid. Did you do a run with a tuner but no Airaid compared to the same tune with the Airaid? Again to see the Airaid's gain alone?

·
Registered
1,529 Posts
Did you do a totally stock run and then a run with JUST the Airaid? Curious of the gain, if any from JUST the Airaid. Did you do a run with a tuner but no Airaid compared to the same tune with the Airaid? Again to see the Airaid's gain alone?
X2 I am looking for info on gains with just an intake, no tune.

SPPD

·
Registered
139 Posts
Gians with out a tune would be minimal, What you would feel would be quicker throttle repsonce and possibly a difference in MPG and same kind of goes with exhausts. Its not until you combine the 3 that you really see some improvements. A better breathing motor is happier feels peepier..

Attachments

·
Registered
868 Posts
SPPD i saw some dyno charts somewhere along the way and testing with just a CAI showed 2 HP for one and 5 HP for another which to me doesnt justify a couple hundred dollar investment but when the CAI is coupled with a tuner the gains increase drastically
i have played with CAI and exhausts on many vehicles and had limited gains until you start playing with the factory fuel map and timing curves then things really start to happen
i have yet to see a very difinitive dyno chart for any of these bolt ons and i truely believe the gains that we see with all this advertisment is the boost of power when the tuner changes our 12 psi factory setting to 17 psi.
the intake and exhaust is just helping to cut down on air restriction because the turbo is trying to move about 25% more air through it.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I put the [email protected] CAI system in my 2012 EB last week and there was a definite difference in power. I drive the thruway everyday and since I installed the CAI I actually get about 2 miles more per gallon at 70 mph. I'll take that.

·
Vendor
897 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
There isnt much difference in the intake noise. If you have the windows up in the truck you cant hear it at all. If you are looking for intake noise the AFE Stage 2 is probably the loudest, however, I have the AFE and rarely hear the intake noise. With the windows down I can tell a difference.

·
Registered
4,658 Posts
Bill, would it be possible to see a graph comparing the Stock, the Airaid & Edge Tune and the Airaid & SCT Tune?

I find the graph can sometimes be more revealing than just the peak HP/TQ numbers.

TIA

·
Vendor
897 Posts
Discussion Starter #12

·
Registered
4,658 Posts
Bill, I was reviewing and if I went with the SCT Tuner first, would it be able to detect/adjust for a CAI and/or and exhaust later? In other words, a selectable option that I could add at a later date, and just start with the tuner?

·
Vendor
897 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
yes, you can start with a tuner without the cold air intake. The intake would be next, then the exhaust when you are ready.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Did we ever see stock vs airaid only numbers? There's nothing you can really do with a tune for the CAI on this speed density system unless you are knowledgeable about the VE modeling. Most if not all of the aftermarket tunes will just increase boost levels or remover limiters, so you will see sizeable gains with the tune. I came across this thread trying to find out if the F150 EcoBoost reacts differently to CAIs. They are worthless on the SHO engines, maybe at most 0.1 seconds faster in the 1/4 on a good day when its not ingesting hot air.

·
Vendor
1,442 Posts
Did we ever see stock vs airaid only numbers? There's nothing you can really do with a tune for the CAI on this speed density system unless you are knowledgeable about the VE modeling. Most if not all of the aftermarket tunes will just increase boost levels or remover limiters, so you will see sizeable gains with the tune. I came across this thread trying to find out if the F150 EcoBoost reacts differently to CAIs. They are worthless on the SHO engines, maybe at most 0.1 seconds faster in the 1/4 on a good day when its not ingesting hot air.
I think we did a run, but I don't remember what the numbers were off the top of my head (it was almost four years ago now). I think 10ish peak hp was the most we saw from an intake alone, which doesn't mean a lot with the dyno margin of error and the power these trucks put down stock.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
About this Discussion
15 Replies
9 Participants
[email protected]
F150 Ecoboost Forum
F150Ecoboost.net is the best Ford F150 Ecoboost Forum with discussions on 2011+ F150 Ecoboost Trucks. Discuss performance mods, towing questions, wheels, tires, lift kits, and much more!
Full Forum Listing