F150 Ecoboost Forum banner

1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Guys, I'm new to the forum. So here's my issue, I am wondering if anyone has had the same issue and knows of a fix: It started about a week and a half ago during some very cold weather (-10 F) and the turbos were blowing off 5-6 times repeatedly under acceleration. I thought it might just be the cold weather and it still ran/accelerated fine so I was hoping it would work itself out, it did this just about every time I drove it from there on out. Against my better judgment I drove it to Canada this weekend for a fishing trip (about 400mi round trip) towing 2 snowmobiles. On the way back it seams that I have lost all boost and instead of a normal turbo whistle with a blowoff its turned to a constant whine (sounds almost like a supercharger but louder) and no blowoff. Acceleration is terrible, currently its parked at home till I figure it out. Anyone experienced this? any thoughts or fixes? Any help is much appreciated.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That's what I'm afraid of (although hoping not). I don't have a ton of extra money so i'm really hoping its either a small fix or to do the work myself

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yeah the light is on, have not been able to read the code yet though. Im going to try and avoid towing it to the shop until I know that's my last option so im going to try and figure out how to get the code read. I might call around and see if the auto stores will rent one?

·
Registered
274 Posts
How many miles? Are you tuned?

I'd guess turbos.. Sounds like a bearing has been smoked. Couple of things can cause this, no oil to the turbos (clogged oil line) or it could be a clogged cat which has put too much back pressure on the turbos (never completely figured it out but I'm pretty sure this is what caused my driver side turbo to fail).

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
:( i'm really hoping that isn't the case, but bracing myself for the worst. But I just got off the phone with my insurance agent (who is also my stepmom, and her brother runs the service shop at the local Subaru dealership) turns out I have 24/7 roadside towing. Going to have it towed up there tonight, they are going to diagnose it for me first thing in the morning. We'll see what happens from there. I will update then

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
Oh and kFirm, about 102,000 miles. No tune, totally stock. Had plans to change that down the road but I've had a lot of issues, starting to question if its worth it. 1 hour after I bought it it was shuttering, had to bring it back the next day for new plugs and wires. Then blew the center bearing in the drive shaft about a month ago, then blew the replacement, seams to be okay now. My speakers cut in and out and my backup camera quit working. I know its up there in miles but dang its only 5 years old

·
Registered
148 Posts
Check all of the vacuum lines that lead from under the plastic cover to the solenoids that are mounted on the turbos. You'll need to pull the front wheels to get good access to them. Also, make sure that the vacuum line found between the filter and turbo inlets is snug, put a hose clamp on it for good measure.

The computer controls the blow off events. An imbalance in the system tends to trigger false events. My experience with my own truck has shown that vacuum leaks will trigger this. Also, while you have the engine cover off, pull out the MAP sensor and clean it with an approved cleaner. This too will cause issues. There is also one in front of the throttle body that you can clean while you are at it.

At its worse, my truck would make a huge air rushing sound in the intake. This was from the BOV's being hung open by the computer. Cleaning the MAP sensors and checking all of the vacuum lines helped to remedy that. Ultimately I had to replace the solenoids at the turbos for a near permanent fix.

You may be under warranty yet if you're lucky. That would be the first place to go. But the turbos have been pretty good on these trucks. The timing chain and rods on the other hand haven't been so robust.

·
Registered
274 Posts
Check all of the vacuum lines that lead from under the plastic cover to the solenoids that are mounted on the turbos. You'll need to pull the front wheels to get good access to them. Also, make sure that the vacuum line found between the filter and turbo inlets is snug, put a hose clamp on it for good measure. The computer controls the blow off events. An imbalance in the system tends to trigger false events. My experience with my own truck has shown that vacuum leaks will trigger this. Also, while you have the engine cover off, pull out the MAP sensor and clean it with an approved cleaner. This too will cause issues. There is also one in front of the throttle body that you can clean while you are at it. At its worse, my truck would make a huge air rushing sound in the intake. This was from the BOV's being hung open by the computer. Cleaning the MAP sensors and checking all of the vacuum lines helped to remedy that. Ultimately I had to replace the solenoids at the turbos for a near permanent fix. You may be under warranty yet if you're lucky. That would be the first place to go. But the turbos have been pretty good on these trucks. The timing chain and rods on the other hand haven't been so robust.
These are all really great tips! And truthfully should all be looked at each time you open the hood (not for hours on end, just a basic glance). Thanks for posting

·
Registered
274 Posts
Oh and kFirm, about 102,000 miles. No tune, totally stock. Had plans to change that down the road but I've had a lot of issues, starting to question if its worth it. 1 hour after I bought it it was shuttering, had to bring it back the next day for new plugs and wires. Then blew the center bearing in the drive shaft about a month ago, then blew the replacement, seams to be okay now. My speakers cut in and out and my backup camera quit working. I know its up there in miles but dang its only 5 years old
I'm at 120k on a '12. And to be fair, they've been hard miles (no bs, at least 10k of them have been in 4x4). I too have had several issues similar to what you've experienced. And I have thought about going to a different truck but lately I've kinda had the attitude that any truck is going to have problems, it's just life.. My biggest grip would be 12mpg..again though, in fairness I have 35s, big turbos and I drive like an a-hole.

As far as the shutter goes, drilling the 1/16 hole has helped me a ton. I also change plugs every 10k but it's simple and easy imo.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I'm at 120k on a '12. And to be fair, they've been hard miles (no bs, at least 10k of them have been in 4x4). I too have had several issues similar to what you've experienced. And I have thought about going to a different truck but lately I've kinda had the attitude that any truck is going to have problems, it's just life.. My biggest grip would be 12mpg..again though, in fairness I have 35s, big turbos and I drive like an a-hole.

As far as the shutter goes, drilling the 1/16 hole has helped me a ton. I also change plugs every 10k but it's simple and easy imo.
How do you like that turbo setup? I'm toying with the idea of upgrading if they are in fact toast

·
Registered
274 Posts
How do you like that turbo setup? I'm toying with the idea of upgrading if they are in fact toast
I like it! LET in Houston did everything. I actually need to find some time to get back down there so Erick can spend some more time tuning it on the street and dyno. I'm also seriously considering adding meth..

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I like it! LET in Houston did everything. I actually need to find some time to get back down there so Erick can spend some more time tuning it on the street and dyno. I'm also seriously considering adding meth..
I was looking into them. I'm nowhere near Houston so having them tuning it is pretty much out of the question. I wordered if they have a tune they can load on a tuner that would work without additional tuning. I feel like i would have a weird setup going all stock except some big turbos and a tune

1 - 20 of 52 Posts