F150 Ecoboost Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all, new to the forum. I have a 2011 with a groaning sound under normal acceleration, but when I put the pedal down it sounds fine, and then when I let off the throttle at all I get a farting noise. All started after the dealership replaced my engine and manifolds. I'm leaning towards bad blow off valves, but wondering if anyone else has a better idea. I did bring it into ford and had their "master mechanic" go for a ride with me and he was no help. He claimed it was all due to my cold air intake but that's deffinately not it because I swapped the stock air box back in and nothing changed. Any ideas would help. Thanks.

·
Registered
98 Posts
I get this same noise I believe. It's a slight groan, like if an air horn was muffled and running out of air but quieter.

Only happens under normal acceleration and I've only noticed it during the first few minutes of driving. It seems that once it's warmed up, it goes away.

I know this isn't any help but hopefully someone responds and we both learn the issue.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
103 Posts
When I had my 2011 in the shop for the turbo coolant lines, they replaced the manifold gasket since I had high mileage 158k. I remember the mechanic telling me that when the manifolds warp and the gaskets start to go bad or start to leak they can create like a frogish/duck call sound when cold. I wonder if the manifolds didn't get torqued correctly when it was put back together?

·
Registered
98 Posts
When I had my 2011 in the shop for the turbo coolant lines, they replaced the manifold gasket since I had high mileage 158k. I remember the mechanic telling me that when the manifolds warp and the gaskets start to go bad or start to leak they can create like a frogish/duck call sound when cold. I wonder if the manifolds didn't get torqued correctly when it was put back together?
Possibly,

In my own experience, I've seen them leak but once a manifold leaks it soon burns out the gasket leading to a failure that worsens.

In my case, it's symptoms are consistent and haven't worsened. I doubt think it's a manifold issue but I've been wrong a couple times...

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It happens on my truck all day every day. Cold doesnt make a difference. And on a cold start in the morning you can hear it groaning for a minute right away. But otherwise I only hear it under boost, unless I put it wide open then I dont hear it until I let off.

·
Registered
98 Posts
It happens on my truck all day every day. Cold doesnt make a difference. And on a cold start in the morning you can hear it groaning for a minute right away. But otherwise I only hear it under boost, unless I put it wide open then I dont hear it until I let off.
Hopefully we get someone whose fixed this lol

·
Registered
561 Posts
I'd be checking my BOV for a hole in the diaphragm. It's a known issue, there are threads on it here. Doesn't take long to remove and inspect it. It's a dealership part if you go OEM replacement.

·
Registered
98 Posts
I'd be checking my BOV for a hole in the diaphragm. It's a known issue, there are threads on it here. Doesn't take long to remove and inspect it. It's a dealership part if you go OEM replacement.
Thanks for the info! I'll check it out!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts