F150 Ecoboost Forum banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I say drove a 2011 FX2 Ecoboost....I travel alot and have around 114,000km Or 70,851 miles and the motor threw the #2 rod. All the mileage is on the hiway and I drive the speed limit. Truck was serviced every 3,000 miles with hi grade synthetic oil for turbo engines. The motor blew when I was on holidays where I was driving at 61 MPH on cruise for the past 3.5 hrs. Ford will not help as its off warranty. So I warn all you Ecoboost people that you should take the extended warranty or sell the truck before warranty is up........These motors should be good for 320+ miles this one failed in less than a quarter of that...Connecting rod falure is normaly related to a casting problems! If this is the case once many of you reach this amount of mileage I would be concerned for your motors life.

·
Registered
860 Posts
Wow, that's terrible. I'm hoping this is just really bad luck and not something we'll see a lot of down the road. How much was the cost to fix it or did you just get rid of the truck?

·
Registered
191 Posts
I say drove a 2011 FX2 Ecoboost....I travel alot and have around 114,000km Or 70,851 miles and the motor threw the #2 rod. All the mileage is on the hiway and I drive the speed limit. Truck was serviced every 3,000 miles with hi grade synthetic oil for turbo engines. The motor blew when I was on holidays where I was driving at 61 MPH on cruise for the past 3.5 hrs. Ford will not help as its off warranty. So I warn all you Ecoboost people that you should take the extended warranty or sell the truck before warranty is up........These motors should be good for 320+ miles this one failed in less than a quarter of that...Connecting rod falure is normaly related to a casting problems! If this is the case once many of you reach this amount of mileage I would be concerned for your motors life.
My first question would be...have there been any modifications done to your engine such as tunes, intakes, exhaust etc? My big concern with these engines is people modding them with tunes that crank up the boost. Lots of boost needs a very strong bottom end and Ford has the boost cranked up pretty good from the factory. Next question is what is it going to cost you to fix it?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Thank you for your post.. I have a 2011 also although I have only 12,000 miles but have planned on selling before warranty just because it is a new design.. Love the power and have found if I do 63 mph I get my best mileage (3:73 axle [email protected]) best 1/2 ton truck for pulling a trailer...

·
Registered
589 Posts
That's some tough luck sorry to see that happen and Its odd your powertrain warranty didn't cover it thought it was standard 5yr/75k mile warranty. Could be different in USA than there in Canada... I am with you in the extended warranty is worth it for anyone planning to go the distance with these trucks... Recommend writing Ford direct for resolution on this issue.

·
Registered
35 Posts
It really sucks when stuff like this happens. I have been driving Ford vehicles since I was 13, and I have blown 2 m
Motors both were 351Windsors, the first one blew cause I was young and dumb and the second one blew cause I thought I learned enough from my younger mistakes. Lol. It doesnt really matter what motor you have, some times crap just happens and sometimes you push through over confidence.

·
Registered
89 Posts
That's some tough luck sorry to see that happen and Its odd your powertrain warranty didn't cover it thought it was standard 5yr/75k mile warranty. Could be different in USA than there in Canada... I am with you in the extended warranty is worth it for anyone planning to go the distance with these trucks... Recommend writing Ford direct for resolution on this issue.
I think it is 5yr/60,000...

·
Premium Member
413 Posts
I bought extended to 75K and just got a flyer from Ford for an extension policy on the wife's Edge. Will be calling Monday to see what the cost would be. It would cover something like this. Might bite for two more years since the plan is to trade about that time. Her NA 3.5 has 55k on it now.

·
Registered
589 Posts
I bought extended to 75K and just got a flyer from Ford for an extension policy on the wife's Edge. Will be calling Monday to see what the cost would be. It would cover something like this. Might bite for two more years since the plan is to trade about that time. Her NA 3.5 has 55k on it now.
Not a bad call mike! I did extended warranty on my truck and wife's 2013 explorer to 100k. We chew thru the miles quick and weather is rough on vehicles up here too..

·
Registered
11 Posts
I too bought an extended warranty which I never do but with all the electronics in this truck I bit the bullit and bought a 7yr 75,000, I sleep good.

·
Registered
589 Posts
Only problem for you guys is there's no glass coverage! Would be nice where you are!
Tell me about it!!! My windshield looks like it took a tour thru a war zone. Every year I replace it bc it gets so bad... I have 3M wrap on the front end and front sides to protect it from rocks...

·
Registered
2,076 Posts
Yeah, I buy extended warranty through USAA at end of factory warranty... Manuf. will end 2016 with around 30k miles logged, extended to 2021/75k is about 1200 bones. Well worth piece of mind.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have a 2011 Platinum Eco Boost, Ontario Canada. Not sure where to start with my list of problems, but after dealing with the "missing" under load issue all summer and 3 visits to dealer (eventually solved with new plugs at $350.00) my engine light came on last week and dealer calls with "bad news". Timing chain has stretched 5 points out and is a $4,000.00 repair. The truck is 2 1/4 years old and I have 118K (73,000 miles) on it. I laughed and suggested they get Ford involved. I am out of warranty but as a gesture of good will they would pay half. Notwithstanding the fact that I started taking the truck in for the misfires well within warranty. I cant even find a single case of a timing chain going on an ecoboost. I still think it is crazy that I spend $2k on this, I recently had to spend $800 on new back glass because I lost the rear window defogger, something about bad contacts on the glass. I love the truck but am totally fed up with all the money I have spent. Is it even possible for a chain to stretch after 118k?? I have always had a ticking sound coming from the engine at idle, I assumed a belt of some sort. I think the ticking has become worse in the past few months, even though 3 or 4 Ford mechanics have worked on it. Totally frustrated...

1 - 20 of 39 Posts
About this Discussion
38 Replies
23 Participants
FordService
F150 Ecoboost Forum
F150Ecoboost.net is the best Ford F150 Ecoboost Forum with discussions on 2011+ F150 Ecoboost Trucks. Discuss performance mods, towing questions, wheels, tires, lift kits, and much more!
Full Forum Listing