F150 Ecoboost Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Vendor
897 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, our truck is now sitting pretty and rocking pretty close to 500 lb-ft of torque at the crank. Instead of calling it a day, we decided to see how much more we could squeeze out of the 3.5L EcoBoost V6 under the hood of our truck with a little help from an aFe intercooler charge pipe and a BBK 73mm throttle body. No one could really give us a firm answer on fitments -- especially for the throttle body -- and we were a little concerned going in. Turns out we worry too much, and our truck got a nice bump in both horsepower and torque while still leaving some room for even more upgrades.

Dyno number in the video below:

·
Registered
589 Posts
That's a sweet set up and project is really coming along nicely! Have you noticed any real world improvements with the new charged pipe and increased throttle body?

·
Vendor
897 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Real world driving, I notice nothing on the bottom end. I do notice a power increase driving on the highway, when I get on it and it downshifts it really goes. We will add some exhaust soon and that should really open it up.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Got a question.... Does anybody besides Ford know how much boost and horsepower the Ecoboost 3.5 can safely manage? Bumping the boost up seems like it's going to be hard on the block, crank, connecting rods and pistons at some point. How much is too much?

·
Registered
589 Posts
Real world driving, I notice nothing on the bottom end. I do notice a power increase driving on the highway, when I get on it and it downshifts it really goes. We will add some exhaust soon and that should really open it up.
Humm that is interesting on the power band being up top and nothing real down low. That is not to say its not there and like I experienced on my old 08 f-150 when I installed tq headers I couldn't notice any gains anywhere until I took it towing and holy good grief where it use to have to down shift when hitting one of the steep hills it pulled it 5mph faster and never down shifted. Wonder if that will be the case.

·
Registered
182 Posts
I would have liked to see just the charge pipe alone. I think the TB moved the power band up. It would be more beneficial to see one at a time and then overlay the graphs so it was clear where the gains are made overall. I am on the fence about the charge pipe but have not found a clear enough dyno of it w/ a tune vs a tune prior to the Charge pipe.

·
Vendor
897 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yeah, we probably should have done separate dynos. Its just so easy to replace both items at one time.

·
Registered
182 Posts
I'm so close to pulling the trigger, I've seen it vs stock and gained 10HP....which is not enough for me to spend 250.00. But I'd like to see with a tune alone vs it on the same tune and no pipe because if it closer to 20ft lbs.....and 15HP on a tune, I would probably pull the trigger. Your dyno is the closest to what I am looking for minus the TB. I examined the dyno's for comparison and it appears like I suspected the curves moved to the right but seems to have lost some power down low.

·
Vendor
897 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I'm so close to pulling the trigger, I've seen it vs stock and gained 10HP....which is not enough for me to spend 250.00. But I'd like to see with a tune alone vs it on the same tune and no pipe because if it closer to 20ft lbs.....and 15HP on a tune, I would probably pull the trigger. Your dyno is the closest to what I am looking for minus the TB. I examined the dyno's for comparison and it appears like I suspected the curves moved to the right but seems to have lost some power down low.

Yeah I think without the exhaust upgraded the TB is just to large for our application.

·
Registered
182 Posts
I see where you will be Dyno'ing some exhaust shortly...any chance you might swap out the TB's on two of the runs?

·
Registered
329 Posts
You guys are demoing the exact parts that I have been looking at for my truck. It is awesome to know that they will be a great addition when I get them (Wife has given me the OK to start getting them).

·
Premium Member
2,427 Posts
Bill, how much louder does the o/r y-pipe make the exhaust? A little off topic but I know you have the most part to part experience around here.

·
Registered
1,529 Posts
The project truck is really taking shape! Nice work.

SPPD

·
Registered
329 Posts
Are you guys going to use the aFe Mach Force 4" exhaust with your build? If not, what exhaust will you use?

·
Vendor
897 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
We are working on exhaust options right now. We may have a new system to show you guys very soon.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Bill I have the TB spacer installed . If i get the new TB will the bolt up work

·
Registered
92 Posts
Ok. to you which one which one would you use. They look about the same power wise.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
About this Discussion
25 Replies
13 Participants
Bigred12m
F150 Ecoboost Forum
F150Ecoboost.net is the best Ford F150 Ecoboost Forum with discussions on 2011+ F150 Ecoboost Trucks. Discuss performance mods, towing questions, wheels, tires, lift kits, and much more!
Full Forum Listing