F150 Ecoboost Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, this question has been asked alot, amd im a young truck enthusiast, at 25 ive only had a couple, but to be honest ive been a chevy guy a while and its time to put my old 1500 5.3 to rest. That said i have a good family friend with a 2011 f150 4x4 ecoboost with only 30,000 miles on it. The guys willing to sell it to me for 12k witch to me is a steal, but ive read so much bad **** goin on with these engines and this beimg one of the first year ecoboost made makes me concerned, have alot of you really had that many issues with these? Even with stellar maintence? I chamge my oil every 3000 miles, i always try to overkill it, cause i cam break anything haha. Im not afraid of the little stuff i can turn a wrench just fine. Its the big stuff that worries me.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Did you read the bad stuff on a Silverado forum? Also, what bad stuff did you read?

It's just like any other engine, plugs and good fluid changes will keep them running a long time. Don't believe the "derp...small turbo engines are for sure gonna blow...derrr". I've also heard "towing causes the turbos to get so hot it melts the bearings"...yeah, lots of misinformation from people who have no experience with these engines.

Even if it breaks, at that price, you could sell it and break even.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I know, i know u get the same **** with every car me and brother were just discussing that. But i agree with ya the price is to good to pass up with those miles, ive just heard the big obvious ones timing chains goin anywere from 50k to 150k on the motors, turbo issues really the popular stuff, i guess im really curious if this accually that common cause i seem to read about it everywhere. Truthfully when i wemt to look at the truck i was praying for a 5.0 in it i wouldnt be thinking twice for that price, but for me at 25 years old 12ks alot of money i wamma make sure im not gonna regret it you know.

·
Registered
81 Posts
The timing chains CAN go. There is another user on here that has over 300k, never replaced the set or anything major. Ford has sold hundreds of thousands of these engines, ya there will be issues since it's so much volume.
It more/less depends on how the previous owner maintained the truck. Did he dog it everywhere, change oil whenever he felt like it, etc. Why is he trying to get rid of it and for so little? Reg, super, or crew cab? 4x4? $12k is a decent price for a 4x4 crew cab, but if it's a 2wd XL regular cab, it's not really worth that. Know any specs with it or how this guy drove it?
I agree $12k isn't chump change. If it's maintained well, go for it.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
That makes total sence to me, and thats nice to here ive seen alot other people who have said theyve had no issues whats so ever. This truck surprisingly not that beat the guys got alot of service records with it, hes strikes me as kind of a fruitcake, deffently is a comfortable guy income wise, as the way he worded it to in his business he prefers to stay on a newer truck, for image or what ever. The deal was also deffently sweeten cause of business relations between him and my family. It is a 4x4 crew cab so answer ur question also we live in a very small town word is he really only uses it to pull a boston whaler 1 or 2 a year amd get the kids to the beach amd back with the surf boards.

·
Registered
4 Posts
If the chains would go, which I wouldn't even worry about them until 100,000 miles if it wasn't throwing codes, that's a heck of a price. I'm thinking I remember guys getting chains and all associated parts done for around $2500. Even with that added to the $12000 it's still a good deal. Like mentioned you may never need chains, I have 100,000 on my '13, no issues since I've had it, and with the records from the previous owner, no major issues there either.

·
Premium Member
4,893 Posts
Fantastic price on that low mileage truck regardless of the unknown future expectations.

Especially if it's been well cared for over those 30,000 miles.

I wouldn't even blink.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
380 Posts
Its a good deal for a well maintained truck. Be aware the 2011 and 2012 had an electric vacuum pump mounted behind the driver's side headlight that has a tendency to corrode and fail. not a deal breaker by any stretch, but something to listen for when looking the truck over. It will make a rattling sound when it runs.

·
Registered
110 Posts
I bought a 2011 about 2 1/2 years ago with 142k on the clock. The guy I bought it off had owned it since about the 25-30k mark and he never had any serious issues nor have other. The only problem I ran into was the turbo coolant line leaking and water pump. I hope to keep it to at least 200k maybe more if its still going strong with out a lot of problems. For that mileage and price i'd jump all over it, especially if it's been taken care off - what package is it Fx4, lariat - etc?

·
Registered
4,621 Posts
11/12 have the most issues. If you're not up on that, then no. But for 12k, that is hard to pass up. 12k and 30k miles sounds fishy, been in a wreck or something? Flip it for profit.

·
Registered
3 Posts
My 2011 3.5 has 125k on it now. cost abt $1k to fix the condensation issue right after warranty ran out. Had valves cleaned (BG)at 60k against Ford svc recommendations. Other than that, nothing unusual; tires, brakes, cooling flush...As of today, I'm happy, its been a great truck. If the tranny falls out tomorrow, maybe not so much. I'm suspicious abt the price of $12k, seems to good to be true. Somethings up there imho.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Its a good deal for a well maintained truck. Be aware the 2011 and 2012 had an electric vacuum pump mounted behind the driver's side headlight that has a tendency to corrode and fail. not a deal breaker by any stretch, but something to listen for when looking the truck over. It will make a rattling sound when it runs.
Supposedly that pump has an extended warranty for FREE replacement up to 150k... so says fordtechmakaluco

Also, have a 2011 with 146k... about to test out that brake booster replacement claim myself. My trucks been relatively trouble free, owned since new. Has warped pass side exhaust manifold, occasional start up rattle but I was late getting on the service often bandwagon and followed ford spec at the dealer until a couple years ago.

I’d buy that sucker in a heartbeat! Do look into the gen 1 CAC condensation problems and monitor accordingly. Plan to replace plugs every 30k or so and enjoy!!!

·
Registered
249 Posts
Heck for that price and mileage it is almost worth buying for parts for my 2011, lol. Was it in a flood? seems $4k to $5k
too cheap

·
Registered
6,697 Posts
Supposedly that pump has an extended warranty for FREE replacement up to 150k... so says fordtechmakaluco

Also, have a 2011 with 146k... about to test out that brake booster replacement claim myself. My trucks been relatively trouble free, owned since new. Has warped pass side exhaust manifold, occasional start up rattle but I was late getting on the service often bandwagon and followed ford spec at the dealer until a couple years ago.

I’d buy that sucker in a heartbeat! Do look into the gen 1 CAC condensation problems and monitor accordingly. Plan to replace plugs every 30k or so and enjoy!!!
They will replace the pump once for free up to the 150k miles.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts