F150 Ecoboost Forum banner

1 - 20 of 342 Posts

·
Registered
361 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I wanted to start a thread to share my plans, progress, and work done. TBH its a bit intimidating after seeing the trucks some of you are working with and me being so late to the game. I'm hoping I can post some helpful links and pictures along the way. I'll list my overall plans, work log thus far, catch up on the few things I've done, then any new advancements. Purchased April 2017 with 142k miles. I plan on keeping and enjoying the truck for as long as possible.

Here's the truck as it sits today. 154k miles
Front View.jpg

Plans...

Exterior-
-Raptor take-off shocks and hardware. I've been through Pinero61 's write up among others, and I have a decent connection on parts.
-I'm not sure which direction I'll go with fenders.
-LED bulb upgrades. The main reason is the reverse lights for the backup cam at night, but added mirror signals and others will work their way in. Left signal short strokes occasionally.
-PDR on the passenger rear of cab. Polish and possible touch up of cab and rim.
-Sand, polish, and coat or paint headlights.
-Paint correction and coatings on pretty much all surfaces.
-Replace a few seals on the bakflip bed cover.
-Windshield cowling seals are deteriorating and need replacement. Same status with the cab seams in the rear upper corners.

Interior-
-Mount tuner/ gauge.
-15% tint front windows, 20% over the factory for all the rear. I like the ceramic for IR reduction as it gets hot in the summers, but the tint on my dads truck has slightly browned.
-Windshield eventually, 2 small chips.
-LED all the things, soft white color.
-Sound proofing done correctly.
-Stereo upgrades. Probably nice amplified speakers, single 8/10 or maybe a couple JL 6.5s, crossover/ equalizer, and integrate with the stock head unit.
-Weather techs.
-Door hinges.
-Coat leather surfaces and probably some plastics.
-Repair sunroof.

Performance-
-Currently discussing options with rBrown
-Upgrade turbos. Wastegates/ BOVs?
-Downpipes- catted full race or aFe?
-Cat Back- MBRP 4"?
-Intercooler- Full Race, aFe, Wagner?
-Hot and cold piping. FR or aFe?
-FR catch can.

Maintenance-
-Fix remote-start feature, it never worked after the dealer flushed the trans.
-Change front and rear differential, and transfer case fluids.
-Change power steering and brake fluids.
-Change cabin filters and fix seat heater.
-I've heard but haven't researched a Raptor trans mount.
-Grease driveshaft

·
Registered
361 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
A week after i purchased it the sunroof stuck open and wouldn't close. Dealership advised they would replace the whole sunroof assembly for around $800. Or you can remove the track assembly and replace all the moving parts for about $120.

This is the kit I used from sunroofdoctor on eBay.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/2000-2014-Ford-F150-F250-F350-F450-Expedition-Sunroof-Repair-Kit/131946974301?_trkparms=aid=222007&algo=SIM.M BE%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D20160908110712%26meid%3D75e944 d34b0446e8afb3da9f40f2a441%26pid%3D100677%26rk%3D1 %26rkt%3D30%26mehot%3Dpp%26sd%3D272607401581%26itm %3D131946974301&_trksid=p2385738.c100677.m4598

http://stores.ebay.com/The-Sunroof-Doctor?_trksid=p2047675.l2563

This is the video I followed.
youtu.be/TGeQOpPlOGE

It was a bit time consuming but not too difficult. I recall the biggest concern was not creasing the headliner when removing. I made a mistake somewhere along the lines because it will tilt up but not slide open. I wanted to research if the motor had to be reset and relearn the cycle before taking it apart again. I'm assuming I got distracted and missed a step, and put it together at the wrong point in the window track cycle.

·
Registered
2,784 Posts
A word of advice: watch the For Sale forum on here and the big F150 site. You'll find some smoking deals once in a while and you can knock big dents in your wish list while knocking much smaller dents in your savings account.

Like getting a slightly used Full Race intercooler for 50% of retail. Or downpipes. Or a tuner. And so on...

·
Registered
361 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Auto-Start feature??
Remote-start feature rather, my apologies. When I picked it up from the dealership it would no longer function, the horn would double beep instead of start. I went back and asked about it the next day and was told its probably some valet feature, apparently a button or switch or jumper fuse somewhere. I speculated that since somebody from their establishment made the change, shouldn't somebody there know how to change it back? Their interior expert was off that day so they recommended I go talk to 'Billy' at a private car alarm place they work with... It fell of the radar and I need to follow up.

·
Registered
361 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
As soon as the sunroof was repaired I gave it a light detail. I like shiny cars and the zen of labor especially when you get to see results so quickly, I frequently lurk on r/autodetailing.

Wash w/ soap and APC, Ferrex, re-wash, clay bar w/ ONR, D300 on 5" mf cut pads, M205 on megs polishing pad, and ultimate paste wax...
Beading big.jpg

Here's some bonus 50/50 pics of my mother-in-laws suburban after just a few passes with 5"mf cut pads and megs D166...
Sub 1- D166.jpg Sub 2- D166.jpg Sub 3- D166.jpg

·
Registered
361 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Next I changed and flushed the coolant, changed the oil, replaced the battery with an optima red top, and installed some cheap front coil spacers.

Here's an older video I took to record the phaser rattle (also exhaust manifold leak). Partially shows the truck levelled with the stock rims and normal tires.

·
Registered
361 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I then had the dealership flush the trans since they have the flushing equipment. Brought it home and changed all the plugs with some sp-534's, gaps as close as I could to .030 (Seems now that smaller might have been better). Replaced coils for cylinders 1 and 5 as they fell apart when removing. Installed SCT Livewire TS+ and used for gauges only. I wanted to see if I could notice a difference in spool times and boost pressure, before and after replacing the manifolds.

Here's a video of the exhaust leak from the cab...

·
Registered
361 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
As I needed to replace the exhaust manifold anyways, why not upgrade while I'm in there...
View attachment 139121 View attachment 139129 View attachment 139137
CRP manifolds 1.jpg CRP manifolds 2.jpg CRP Manifolds 3.jpg

And since the manifolds and turbos were removed anyways, why not throw on some ported adapters...
SPD adapter 1.jpg SPD adapter 2.jpg SPD adapter 3.jpg
View attachment 139145 View attachment 139153 View attachment 139161

I noticed a huge difference after this pair was installed! Not sure how much of that was due to fixing the boost leak vs. better flow, but it felt like it responded and built pressure more quickly and so much more effortless/ smooth feeling.

·
Registered
361 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
Next steps... I wanted some running boards but every option was expensive, found some used ones on craigslist I think I paid about $80. I don't think this is the best looking option but they work and the wife and kids were happy.
Damage1.jpg

Bought my bosses rims from his 2017 fx4 for a pretty good price and had them mounted with Nitto G2's 275/65r20. Prior to installing I gave them a good cleaning, light polishing, and a couple coats of Optimum Gloss Coat. They were flawless and I'll explain the damage in the next post...

Old-
Stock 2.jpg

New-
Damage2.jpg

·
Registered
361 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
Got side swiped on the back half of the passenger side, guy decided he wanted to share my lane with me on the freeway. It was Christmas Eve so I guess he felt like giving me some free scratches, paint transfers, and dents. His shorter Tacoma lifted my rear wheel off the ground and kicked us sideways about 45 degrees, and scared the snot out of my kids and wife. Based on the impact feeling I figured the damage was going to be wayyyy worse then it ended up.

View attachment 141258 View attachment 141266 Damage3.jpg Damage4.jpg

·
Premium Member
1,107 Posts
Glad you are all ok. The attachment isn't working.

·
Registered
361 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
Me too, thanks!

Here's where things get fun...

(Repost) About 2 months ago I had hesitation/ shuddering when getting on the freeway with no flashing or steady CEL. Removed 5* 91 perf tune and continued to monitor. Next day same issue but this time P0303 Misfire Cyl 3. Plugs were fresh and properly gapped so i switched plugs between cylinders 2 and 3 and cleared the code. Still ran poorly, threw code again, still cyl 3. I then swapped coils between cylinders 2 and 3 and cleared codes again, then drove home for lunch and returned to work. No codes thrown but was pretty much constantly stuttering anytime there was any amount of boost. Parked it after lunch and then after work there was a ticking/ tapping sound on startup, still no codes thrown. Sound seems to come from pass. side top end/ under intake manifold. Minor tapping felt through pass. valve cover near VCT plugs, intake manifold as a whole, and most pronounced in the high-press fuel lines and pump(cavitating/ pulsing feeling). Best guess is a bent valve or 6...

·
Registered
361 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
Dealer said drop it off and they would diagnose exactly whats wrong with it. They cut open the oil filter and found metal in the paper element, determined I need a new engine and digging further into the issue wasn't worth the time or effort. Dealer 2 said, "That's a BS diagnosis, get it here and we'll diagnose exactly whats wrong with it." 5 days later, same conclusion.. not worth digging into and need a new motor. Brought it home, pulled valve covers and found no visible damage, sound got slightly louder when started without passenger valve cover.

Passenger side valvetrain:
Passenger Valvecover.jpg
Valve- Pass Front.jpg
Valve- Pass Rear.jpg

Driver's side:
Drivers Valvetrain.jpg

Attachments

·
Registered
361 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
I see scuffs/ sloppy machine marks on the drivers exhaust cam. I'm thinking its from the factory for the purposes of balancing?? I don't see the same on the passenger side.

I also noticed what looks like a chip out of the coating on the camshaft. Before I pulled this side and saw the chip, I figured the roughness was casting marks. What am I looking at?

View attachment 142970 Drivers side wear.JPG

·
Registered
361 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Pulled the valve covers over the weekend, per request. This week/ weekend I'm planning to drain fluids and start ripping everything out to prep for motor removal. Need to order a trick little folding engine stand that was recommended to me, and pick up the cherry picker I'm borrowing.

·
Vendor
7,053 Posts
Pulled the valve covers over the weekend, per request. This week/ weekend I'm planning to drain fluids and start ripping everything out to prep for motor removal. Need to order a trick little folding engine stand that was recommended to me, and pick up the cherry picker I'm borrowing.

Awesome video. Very cool!!

1 - 20 of 342 Posts
About this Discussion
341 Replies
22 Participants
Blown F-150
F150 Ecoboost Forum
F150Ecoboost.net is the best Ford F150 Ecoboost Forum with discussions on 2011+ F150 Ecoboost Trucks. Discuss performance mods, towing questions, wheels, tires, lift kits, and much more!
Full Forum Listing