F150 Ecoboost Forum banner

281 - 300 of 332 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,505 Posts
Those are likely rebuildable?

Pricing is often difficult to defend on a lot of the high-end suspension stuff in the motorcycle/car/truck world.

But you almost always get 2 features that are otherwise unobtainable....

1. Adjustable damping. (factory Raptor is not) An incredible luxury if you actually take advantage of it. You literally tune your suspension, no differently than tuning your engine or switching between "modes".

2. Rebuildable. You do not throw these out if/when they drop below optimum performance. It might be inconvenient, of course, but you can spend a few $hundred and return that 3-4k investment back to factory fresh!

Wouldn't it be nice if you could do the same under the hood? Lol

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
355 Posts
Discussion Starter #282
Those are likely rebuildable?

Pricing is often difficult to defend on a lot of the high-end suspension stuff in the motorcycle/car/truck world.

But you almost always get 2 features that are otherwise unobtainable....

1. Adjustable damping. (factory Raptor is not) An incredible luxury if you actually take advantage of it. You literally tune your suspension, no differently than tuning your engine or switching between "modes".

2. Rebuildable. You do not throw these out if/when they drop below optimum performance. It might be inconvenient, of course, but you can spend a few $hundred and return that 3-4k investment back to factory fresh!

Wouldn't it be nice if you could do the same under the hood? Lol

Don't get me thinking about pricing, especially don't get me going on the justifications of spending the money lol... but I think I got a smoking deal. And I my budget isn't even at the pricing range of your setup.

These are stock Gen 2 Raptor shocks, so they are Fox 3.0's and rebuildable and I think tuneable(with valving & springs?), but no reservoirs or DSC stuff. They're going to take a little more effort to make them work over the gen 1's. But I think they're nicer, more available, and slightly cheaper. I have a few more parts to stockpile before I'm ready for everything.

And you kinda can do the same under the hood right? Pull it out, change this, polish that, slap it back in. At least in earlier days.

·
Premium Member
4,505 Posts
Don't get me thinking about pricing, especially don't get me going on the justifications of spending the money lol... but I think I got a smoking deal. And I my budget isn't even at the pricing range of your setup.

These are stock Gen 2 Raptor shocks, so they are Fox 3.0's and rebuildable and I think tuneable(with valving & springs?), but no reservoirs or DSC stuff. They're going to take a little more effort to make them work over the gen 1's. But I think they're nicer, more available, and slightly cheaper. I have a few more parts to stockpile before I'm ready for everything.

And you kinda can do the same under the hood right? Pull it out, change this, polish that, slap it back in. At least in earlier days.
I don't know what it takes to get them installed on your truck, but yes, they are quality dampers. It's really good stuff and yea I'm betting you can get them valved for exactly what you want them to do.

If you are going to be street only, just be honest with them about it and have them tame soften them up appropriately. Raptors aren't valved stiffly at all. You could even argue they are very "compliant". But they have considerably more leverage on the dampers. (up front anyways)
Longer travel and a longer fulcrum. So the same shock put on our trucks would theoretically be stiffer.

The good news is that no matter what, if they haven't leaked and are in good shape, they will be a considerable upgrade regardless.

Looking forward to the feedback.

There's probably a few guys that have used Raptor take-offs and have pioneered for you. Maybe you can research and see what to expect?

·
Premium Member
482 Posts
If you're putting gen 2 raptor shocks on you'll need upper and lower control arms for sure. At least that's what I've been told when trying to piece together raptor front shocks. The rears are plug and play

·
Registered
355 Posts
Discussion Starter #285
If you're putting gen 2 raptor shocks on you'll need upper and lower control arms for sure. At least that's what I've been told when trying to piece together raptor front shocks. The rears are plug and play
I've been through the whole 'Official Raptor Suspension Swap' (https://www.f150ecoboost.net/forum/21-f150-ecoboost-suspension/8103-official-raptor-suspension-thread.html) and a bunch of long threads on FRF. To install Gen1 Raptor take-offs you just need the shocks, upper arms, lower arms, CV's, tie rods, and sway bar end links. Rears bolt in with no issue. But its all harder to find at the moment, and what I did find wasn't cheap.

To install Gen 2 Raptor parts you need all the same parts (only from a Gen2), plus you have to modify the coil bucket. The Gen 2 shocks are longer overall so you have to extend the top mounting point. Also it seems like you have to replace the Gen2 front springs with Gen1 springs to avoid clearance issues with the upper arms and CV's. I haven't confirmed yet if moving the mounting point eliminates the clearance issues. We'll find out...

BTW I have an extra set of gen2 front shocks if you need down the road.

·
Registered
355 Posts
Discussion Starter #286
I don't know what it takes to get them installed on your truck, but yes, they are quality dampers. It's really good stuff and yea I'm betting you can get them valved for exactly what you want them to do.

If you are going to be street only, just be honest with them about it and have them tame soften them up appropriately. Raptors aren't valved stiffly at all. You could even argue they are very "compliant". But they have considerably more leverage on the dampers. (up front anyways)
Longer travel and a longer fulcrum. So the same shock put on our trucks would theoretically be stiffer.

The good news is that no matter what, if they haven't leaked and are in good shape, they will be a considerable upgrade regardless.

Looking forward to the feedback.

There's probably a few guys that have used Raptor take-offs and have pioneered for you. Maybe you can research and see what to expect?

I've seen plenty of Gen 1 parts swapped onto F150s, and read plenty about Gen 2 parts on Gen 1 Raptors. I haven't actually seen or read of any Gen 2 Raptor take-offs on our platform, but I haven't looked too hard TBH.

I am anticipating (read: dying for!) an improved ride. And since the newer trucks are lighter, I'm assuming the valving will be even softer. So with my heavier truck we'll see how it feels then play with springs and valving.

·
Premium Member
4,505 Posts
Those Raptor lowers are beautiful just to look at.

·
Premium Member
482 Posts
I've been through the whole 'Official Raptor Suspension Swap' (https://www.f150ecoboost.net/forum/21-f150-ecoboost-suspension/8103-official-raptor-suspension-thread.html) and a bunch of long threads on FRF. To install Gen1 Raptor take-offs you just need the shocks, upper arms, lower arms, CV's, tie rods, and sway bar end links. Rears bolt in with no issue. But its all harder to find at the moment, and what I did find wasn't cheap.

To install Gen 2 Raptor parts you need all the same parts (only from a Gen2), plus you have to modify the coil bucket. The Gen 2 shocks are longer overall so you have to extend the top mounting point. Also it seems like you have to replace the Gen2 front springs with Gen1 springs to avoid clearance issues with the upper arms and CV's. I haven't confirmed yet if moving the mounting point eliminates the clearance issues. We'll find out...

BTW I have an extra set of gen2 front shocks if you need down the road.
And bring on the leverage... almost ready

View attachment 158162
I can definitely respect a man that does his home work 😁 seems like we're just a few pages away from seeing a full swap completed

·
Premium Member
482 Posts
How much was the full raptor suspension? I was thinking of doing a camburg long travel but your way might be a lot cheaper 😄

·
Premium Member
4,505 Posts
Teaser!

Well if I had to guess....... Too big a box for a G-series snail. ;)

·
Premium Member
482 Posts
Are those what I think they are?!

Coated too?

·
Registered
355 Posts
Discussion Starter #294
How much was the full raptor suspension? I was thinking of doing a camburg long travel but your way might be a lot cheaper 😄
I was initially budgeting 1400 total for the gen 1 raptor stuff. I'm beyond that now.

Good condition gen 2 shocks are running around 6-800 for a set of 4. I scored a set with some SVC adjustable collars which let you adjust your spring perch. Those are about $450+ new and I've seen some used around 275ish. The rest of the parts I paid I think $1100 in total. Might have been slightly too much but it was fairly local and they're fairly scarce.

Lower arms 5-700
Upper Arms 1-150
Tie Rods 100
CVs 2-250

Then the kit to modify the coil buckets is somewhere around $500
And I got Gen 1 front springs for $100. Gen 2's have a larger OD, and I read a few gen 1 raptor guys were having clearance issues with the CVs and/or upper arms when switching to gen 2 front coilovers. To get around that they swapped the old springs onto the new shock bodies. Not sure if I'll still need them once the buckets are extended.

I've seen some complete rear axles listed for a little over $2k if you wanted to do the back end too.
Stock rear springs are around for about $100. I'm staying stock FX4 springs for now to maintain the payload and avoid axle wrap. In the future I'll probably go with some +3 rear springs and a drop shackle.

·
Premium Member
482 Posts
Nailed it!

A box FULL of packing peanuts, and then these. This is as far as I've unpacked them so far, I had to see the coating.

View attachment 158440

Now I just need to find time to install them, this weekends shot.
Man those look a lot better coated 🙂 you did a much better decision than what we discussed! Plus Ryan is using my old dps for his truck

·
Vendor
7,050 Posts
Nailed it!

A box FULL of packing peanuts, and then these. This is as far as I've unpacked them so far, I had to see the coating.

View attachment 158440

Now I just need to find time to install them, this weekends shot.
Where did you buy them?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
355 Posts
Discussion Starter #299 (Edited)
UPDATE TIME
Been spending waaayyy too much money and even worse, still lagging on installing a bunch of parts! I'm hoping to resolve most of that by the end of this weekend. Itching to move onward and upwards with the tune. Putting a list up here to remind myself and lay it out. I'd love any input.

Major hang up has been my 3-bar map sensor, I've misplaced it and still can't find it. I don't want to spend $80 for a new one, only to find the original the next day. But I might just have to.

Coated catted FR downpipes
35% HPFP
3-Bar MAP Sensor
Install raptor trans mount
Reinstall fender liners
Brake light LEDs
Swap front raptor springs
Install raptor front setup
Clean up battery distribution blocks
Fix drivers wheel well wiring
Finish mounting Livewire device
Windshield replacement scheduled for tomorrow morning
Will schedule a windshield tint soon, never done it before. Its getting hot very quickly
Evacuate & recharge AC system, never done since the new motor. Its getting hot very quickly

Short 'To Buy List'
New FR intake for 2011
Replacement headlights, talking to a Craigslist guy about a set with HID conversion... ehhhh we'll see how it goes
FR cat back exhaust
Dyno time

Long Term List:
Brake kit, not sure which
HID Projector headlights
Raptor steering wheel
Interior LED's
Deaver or similar +3 rear springs and shackles
Spare set of 17" rims to help the new suspension and new tires
Might as well throw a FR throttle body on the list. I think its the only part they offer that I wouldn't have installed
Circle D torque converter
And way down the road, new turbos. Something of a larger variety.

·
Registered
4,427 Posts
I hope your windshield replacement goes better than mine. Make sure they put the black **** under the window on any damage to the metal and have a bottle of touch up for stuff outside the windshield coverage.

281 - 300 of 332 Posts
About this Discussion
331 Replies
22 Participants
BRoell
F150 Ecoboost Forum
F150Ecoboost.net is the best Ford F150 Ecoboost Forum with discussions on 2011+ F150 Ecoboost Trucks. Discuss performance mods, towing questions, wheels, tires, lift kits, and much more!
Full Forum Listing