F150 Ecoboost Forum banner

301 - 321 of 332 Posts

·
Registered
355 Posts
Discussion Starter #301
I figured I'd check up on them, but couldn't think of anything specific to check for. I think I recall you had an issue with hidden rust spots and a weird weather seal? I was planning to read through a couple threads this morning in between phone calls.

I'll definitely make sure I get a good look underneath when they remove it. Great advice thank you very much.

·
Registered
355 Posts
Discussion Starter #302
New windshield is in, no issues. Checked under the seal and its all good, no rust or chips.

Didn't get to install the downpipes as planned. Laid tile all weekends instead. Covering for people at work so I got out late, but still tried to knock them out last night. The coating looks amazing. I got the old one pulled and realized I will in fact have to lower the trans cross member. It was getting dark so I'll wrap it up today. Goofing around and mocking up the pipes, it seems the exhaust bolts are too short or I'm missing an adapter or something. In the last pic below you can see the bolts are bottomed out on the shaft body, but there's still a 1/2-3/4" gap. Anybody experienced anything similar or have any insights?

FR Downpipes.jpg

FR Downpipes- Y Pipe.jpg

FR Downpipes- Passenger.jpg

FR Downpipes- Drivers.jpg

FR Downpipes- Exhaust Fitting.jpg

·
Premium Member
2,088 Posts
New windshield is in, no issues. Checked under the seal and its all good, no rust or chips.

Didn't get to install the downpipes as planned. Laid tile all weekends instead. Covering for people at work so I got out late, but still tried to knock them out last night. The coating looks amazing. I got the old one pulled and realized I will in fact have to lower the trans cross member. It was getting dark so I'll wrap it up today. Goofing around and mocking up the pipes, it seems the exhaust bolts are too short or I'm missing an adapter or something. In the last pic below you can see the bolts are bottomed out on the shaft body, but there's still a 1/2-3/4" gap. Anybody experienced anything similar or have any insights?

View attachment 158884

View attachment 158886

View attachment 158888

View attachment 158890

View attachment 158892
Yup, I had the same thing. I did end up having the perfect set of shorter bolts in my stash. You could probably hit up a Fastenal or any hardware place and pick up a couple of nice stainless bolts with built-in washers.

·
Registered
355 Posts
Discussion Starter #304
Downpipes installed. I just got some high grade stainless bolts and washers from Ace across the street. Noticed 1 small puff of leakage where the drivers side hits the y-pipe. Figured I'd give everything a few heat cycles and put a wrench back on it shortly.

When driving next to a wall or the like and on the gas, the tone is a bit deeper with some rasp eliminated compared to stock. Slightly more turbo whistling, I think I hear it last through a little wider RPM range. I need to buy a replacement FR intake soon to see if we get any more whistle or turbo noise.

35% pump is next, possibly tonight, but its tile time again. Then log and tweak as needed.

·
Registered
355 Posts
Discussion Starter #305
A lil over 8,000 miles on the new motor, and the only real, consistent concern I've really had is... smog. But what a great option compared to alternatives.

The time has come. I took it to a random local shop and his only gripe was the catch can and the lack of an EO#. I explained its a sealed system that's probably causing a better combustion event and cleaner emissions. Didn't work, lol. But instead of failing me he allowed me time to find the EO# and return. I plan to remove the catch can and put on the engine cover and take it back in.

In other news, installed the 35% pump a bit ago. Slight power bumps to the tune to account for it and no issues, hopefully a few more bumps to go. The truck is getting more and more fun to drive. Feels much lighter, more effortless to move, and athletic.

PS- How many CEL free miles need to be driven before scanning so the smog computer is happy?

·
Registered
4,992 Posts
A lil over 8,000 miles on the new motor, and the only real, consistent concern I've really had is... smog. But what a great option compared to alternatives.

The time has come. I took it to a random local shop and his only gripe was the catch can and the lack of an EO#. I explained its a sealed system that's probably causing a better combustion event and cleaner emissions. Didn't work, lol. But instead of failing me he allowed me time to find the EO# and return. I plan to remove the catch can and put on the engine cover and take it back in.

In other news, installed the 35% pump a bit ago. Slight power bumps to the tune to account for it and no issues, hopefully a few more bumps to go. The truck is getting more and more fun to drive. Feels much lighter, more effortless to move, and athletic.

PS- How many CEL free miles need to be driven before scanning so the smog computer is happy?
I'm not sure about the newer trucks but with my old 12th gen how I could tell if the Cycles were cleared/complete is I would turn the key to on and keep my eye on the CEL, if it just stayed solid the whole time you're good to go but if it flashed, (I believe it was eight times/flashes) after a few seconds that means it's not ready.
I never had an issue when using that method

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,836 Posts

When I was doing smogs here in California. You would need 50 or 60 miles with no light. But that was a while ago. Today’s vehicles are probably different.

·
Registered
355 Posts
Discussion Starter #309
Two quick updates

1- After installing the downpipes I threw codes for the O2 sensor about every 50 miles. I have since installed the SPD 02 defoulers, the CEL hasn't returned yet. Been 350 miles so far.

2- After some back and forths and a few hurdles, I have officially passed smog lol. Time to go back to normal and start working on tunes. I think next on my list is install the Raptor front end. Windshield and window tints are quickly moving up in priority.

Time to catch up on a few other threads...

·
Premium Member
482 Posts
Two quick updates

1- After installing the downpipes I threw codes for the O2 sensor about every 50 miles. I have since installed the SPD 02 defoulers, the CEL hasn't returned yet. Been 350 miles so far.

2- After some back and forths and a few hurdles, I have officially passed smog lol. Time to go back to normal and start working on tunes. I think next on my list is install the Raptor front end. Windshield and window tints are quickly moving up in priority.

Time to catch up on a few other threads...
I've heard great things about those SPD defoulers. Thankfully my county doesn't require any type of emissions testing here.

Super excited to see a detailed install of the raptor front end because I might be doing all that myself and have a good weekend project. Tint is on mine and my wife's list too. August is a couple weeks away and so is the heat

·
Registered
355 Posts
Discussion Starter #311
I've heard great things about those SPD defoulers. Thankfully my county doesn't require any type of emissions testing here.

Super excited to see a detailed install of the raptor front end because I might be doing all that myself and have a good weekend project. Tint is on mine and my wife's list too. August is a couple weeks away and so is the heat
Did you just sign me up for a detailed install write up?? :p

I need to pay RPG so they can make the bucket extension, so it'll be a week or 2 at least. The owner(super awesome dude) clued me in on a few more minor snags I'll have to deal with, so I'll document it all for ya.

·
Premium Member
482 Posts
Did you just sign me up for a detailed install write up?? :p

I need to pay RPG so they can make the bucket extension, so it'll be a week or 2 at least. The owner(super awesome dude) clued me in on a few more minor snags I'll have to deal with, so I'll document it all for ya.
There's a strong possibility I may have

That would be much appreciated sir. The more I know about doing it the right way the better

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
355 Posts
Discussion Starter #313
Score! Fresh delivery with the correct parts...

FR Intake New.jpg

I believe next is replacement ignition coils, then the raptor front end. I'm experiencing what I believe are intermittent misfires when under high load.

·
Premium Member
4,505 Posts
Score! Fresh delivery with the correct parts...

View attachment 159510

I believe next is replacement ignition coils, then the raptor front end. I'm experiencing what I believe are intermittent misfires when under high load.
Am I confused or is that similar to what BlownF150 was describing before he replaced his wiring harness?

(Although I wouldn't wish that on anyone, chasing misfires is more frustrating than fixing them)

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
355 Posts
Discussion Starter #315
Am I confused or is that similar to what BlownF150 was describing before he replaced his wiring harness?

(Although I wouldn't wish that on anyone, chasing misfires is more frustrating than fixing them)

It may be very similar. I've been meaning to PM him and ask for more details. I do recall he had more pronounced problems as the tune was dialed up. But his was rpm dependent and so far mine seems fairly sporadic.

I figure its a good time for coils anyways so that's a good spot to start and see if there is improvement. I've only replaced a few since owning it, afaik some could be factory original. I've got my fingers crossed

·
Premium Member
4,505 Posts
Ahhh.
Sounds far less familiar with the specifics.

Yea, plugs, boots, coils first.
Hope you get it sorted

·
Premium Member
2,088 Posts
It may be very similar. I've been meaning to PM him and ask for more details. I do recall he had more pronounced problems as the tune was dialed up. But his was rpm dependent and so far mine seems fairly sporadic.

I figure its a good time for coils anyways so that's a good spot to start and see if there is improvement. I've only replaced a few since owning it, afaik some could be factory original. I've got my fingers crossed
Start with coils if you've got some fresh plugs in, trust me.

·
Registered
355 Posts
Discussion Starter #320
Changed the oil yesterday with more fancy stuff. 10,000 miles now on the engine, thank you RMB and BoostKing. This will be the first sample from the new setup that I send in to Blackstone.

Never followed up on the misfires... all fixed with new plugs and coils. Weird as it sounds, the misfires actually disappeared when I changed the air intake, a few days before I swapped the coils.

·
Premium Member
2,088 Posts
Changed the oil yesterday with more fancy stuff. 10,000 miles now on the engine, thank you RMB and BoostKing. This will be the first sample from the new setup that I send in to Blackstone.

Never followed up on the misfires... all fixed with new plugs and coils. Weird as it sounds, the misfires actually disappeared when I changed the air intake, a few days before I swapped the coils.
Glad it’s sorted out

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

301 - 321 of 332 Posts
About this Discussion
331 Replies
22 Participants
BRoell
F150 Ecoboost Forum
F150Ecoboost.net is the best Ford F150 Ecoboost Forum with discussions on 2011+ F150 Ecoboost Trucks. Discuss performance mods, towing questions, wheels, tires, lift kits, and much more!
Full Forum Listing