F150 Ecoboost Forum banner

321 - 340 of 343 Posts

·
Vendor
7,053 Posts
Changed the oil yesterday with more fancy stuff. 10,000 miles now on the engine, thank you RMB and BoostKing. This will be the first sample from the new setup that I send in to Blackstone.

Never followed up on the misfires... all fixed with new plugs and coils. Weird as it sounds, the misfires actually disappeared when I changed the air intake, a few days before I swapped the coils.
Truck looks really good man!

·
Registered
362 Posts
Discussion Starter #323
10,000 already?

Or is it just me being old?

Seems like just a few months ago you STARTED it for the first time

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
No comment on the age, but I agree with the already. Lol.

It was up and running in mid January, so 10k in 7 months. Projects to 17k per year which is muuuch higher than I want ideally. For the first long while I was driving it anywhere and everywhere to shake it down, plus a few long-ish road trips, and job site visits. Its actually a very relevant topic for me. I'm currently deciding between a vehicle allowance or company vessel and still unsure. Why pay money for an engine and customizing my truck to not use it, but then do I want to need a rebuild in just a few years? Cams and maybe g25s are already in the back of my mind for down the road...

But I also have to consider the risks of driving in such a densely populated area. I just had my 2nd fender bender since the re-do, and 1 previously before the old motor blew. None my fault but it still hurts when its a vehicle I like. Company truck I just say gimme a new one. My apologies, I'm a bit long winded

·
Registered
362 Posts
Discussion Starter #325
So... I'm trying to decide what direction to go from here. RPG is fabricating my front coilover brackets and I'm hoping to finish the front end within the next 2 weeks. Initially I figured I'd run pre-runner style with stock fenders, bumper, and hood for a while, and just cross my fingers on the paint not getting chewed up. The plan to procrastinate might be comprimised, and I need to at least plan out my future purchases. I don't think I want to put money into a new stock front bumper and pads, then deal with paint match, just to swap it a few months or weeks down the line.

If I get a stock or tube bumper for the Raptor, it will be too wide until I swap fenders to match. If I get a tube bumper or Raptor-style replica for the F150, it will be too narrow when I swap fenders.

Option 1 is stock hood and grill, with fiberglass fenders. The problems with these are they look like chit imo and I've read a lot of bad reviews on fitment. They don't look too bad from some angles, until you get to the blue one from stage 3 site. Fugly! And body lines are way off. I don't like the overall shape or lines, and I don't like the humps up from the hood level. It also doesn't have the SVT vents, front marker lights, or the turn signal bevel thing (my favorite part of the Raptors).
https://www.stage3motorsports.com/F1F-005-2009-2014-F150-Fiberwerx-Flared-One-Piece-Front-Fenders-Pair.html

Option 2 is find stock Raptor hood, fenders, valence. Downside is weight, cost, probably needs repaint, harder to find now, un-original, and possibly poser-ish. And for whatever reason I like my FX4 grill.
Option 2.1 is fiberglass Raptor replicas. Lighter weight, more available, fitment is supposed to be very good, more costly.
Option 2.2 is fiberglass +2" Raptor fenders. My boss has them and they look BADass. But I don't know if I want to run 37s. And I definitely HAVE to do something with the bedsides at that point. With stock Raptor width fronts I might be able to keep the stock rear flatties.

Option 3 is call the fiberglass manufacturers and see if they can make Raptor replicas that match up with the F150 hood line. From what I've read and seen, the Raptor hood and fenders are slightly more rounded. The center of the Raptor fender would be about 1/8" higher than the F150 hood. This would let me keep the F150 hood and Fx4 grill which would be pimpin.
Option 3.1 is try to find a 3rd party shop that can modify the fiberglass Raptor fenders to fit the stock hood.

Anybody got any old tube bumpers or anything laying around?
Anybody got any other options or ideas for me?

Please chime in with input!

·
Registered
362 Posts
Discussion Starter #326
Here's a picture of the fitment mis-match between the Raptor hood and F150 front fenders. I want the opposite combo.

·
Premium Member
2,100 Posts
Depends on funds and how much time you have. You could pick a nice tube bumper that will fit your current set up and then mod it when you change the front clip.
Just a thought.

·
Premium Member
490 Posts
I would honestly do the suspension up front first with no glass. Then when youre ready to buy a raptor rear end you could buy all the body panels at once. Glass bedsides because they dont need to be perfect and then maybe Raptor +2 fronts if you wanted to do 37's. If not do stockers. Who cares if it looks like a raptor? It hauls way faster than one!

·
Registered
362 Posts
Discussion Starter #329
RPG brackets are finished and in hand, need to make some time to get the front end done!!

Since my brakes were already warped and apparently not working optimally, I ordered the Z36 kit for all 4 corners yesterday. Also LED bulbs for the interior and a few for the exterior. Been on my to-buy list forrreevvvver but I always forget. Same with the door detents, I think its about time I finally order em.

Trying to decide what to do next. Maybe windshield and window tints then sound deadening. My stock system is not working well with the new TOOL album 🤙

·
Registered
362 Posts
Discussion Starter #332
Got the windshield tinted last weekend and everything looks good, Madico NC75 I think. Windows will be get 20% all around shortly. But I need to fix my AC before I roll around with windows up for a few days. Just need to vacuum pump it and charge, never got around to it...:sleep:

Brakes come in tomorrow with the rest of the LEDs. Changed out the interior lights but didn't like the color, so I'm waiting for replacements to try.

Also ordered up some sound deadening materials. KnoKnoise Kolossus sheets for door skins, some speaker tweaker pads for the backwave, extruded butyl rope, some ABS to seal up the doors. Need to find some MLV locally and that should be it for a while for the doors.
Planning to start by making the existing system sound as good as possible, and pave the road for an audiophile system at a later date. Been eyeballing all the panels to see what size woofers I can fit without getting too crazy.

·
Registered
362 Posts
Discussion Starter #333
1/2 way through the LEDs I decided to take a few pictures. Cargo lights, 3rd brake light, brake lights and signals, and license plate bulbs. Broke the flip down mirror/ vanity light bulb, gotta figure out how to remove it still

·
Registered
362 Posts
Discussion Starter #335
Forgot to post the after pic. It does look much better, cleaner. Now its time to get into Forscan, been avoiding it for a long time but I assume it won't be that difficult.

·
Registered
362 Posts
Discussion Starter #336
Last few days I've been tinkering with sound deadening the front door. Taking my time as I've never gone this overkill before. About 50% coverage on the outer door skin with CLD, some butyl rope in a few cracks, then I glued a rubber speaker tweaker pad behind the 5x7. I'll probably add some open cell or melamine foam in there at some point, not sure how much or where yet. Been reviewing Snake Tunes thread, among many others, for ideas and inspiration. Wish I could hear it!!

Made some templates out of 1/4" mdf to seal the large openings, only mis-aligned 1 hole. I'll transfer to 1/8" ABS when its delivered and throw some foam gasket around them. The panels screw into some stainless M5 nutserts that I installed.

Next I'll add some CLD tiles to the inner door skin and plastic door panel. Then cut a peice of mass loaded vinyl and closed cell foam to hang on the inner door skin

Last pic is a cardboard template for future planning, with overall and cutout diameters for a 8" mid-woofer driver. Looks like 8.5" overall diameter is about the limit of what'll fit, without too much work. You can see I adhered the pad upside down, I failed to notice until it was too late.

·
Premium Member
4,524 Posts
Wish you could hear it? Lol

Me too.

But honestly, I'd have to guess that it would be rather anti-climatic, especially after reading that build thread. I say that because only a couple of people that have asked to hear it have NOT been underwhelmed. :)

Don't get me wrong. Everyone agrees that it sounds fantastic, because it actually does. But most people automatically expect to be overwhelmed in a much different way than what it was designed to be.

I'm pretty sure it's an expectation of sound pressure, rather than sound quality. In fact, after a song or 2, almost everyone requests the same "turn it up" or "how loud can it get?"

I have a lot of amps and channels, of course, but none of them are really that high powered. Instead, just very clean and well tuned for the driver per channel. The real value in this setup is the "quietness" of the environment of a rolling vehicle, and the result allowing for "normal listening level" sound stage.

No listening fatigue. Not even after many hours of listening. And it IS exactly what I asked Christopher Pate to build for me.

My only complaint is that he has gone much further in his A-pillar design development and now has what appears to the eye to be arrangements that would build a deeper field of sound. I might, at some point, get him to upgrade my enclosures and re-tune just to see?

Anyways, I'm a huge fan of your efforts to sound deaden your trucks interior. It's a lot of work, not to mention the cost of materials. But it's an underappreciated factor in both the feel of luxury and the quality of sound.

Take your time! You are only going to do this once.

·
Registered
362 Posts
Discussion Starter #338 (Edited)

Tiiiiiime is on my siiide.... reminds me of the Denzel flick that was on a few weeks ago. Pretty interesting movie.

I'll be using lots of time, because I don't have $5k+ to spend on install and another $5k on equipment. That's mostly why I want to listen in real life, so I don't have too high of hopes for my build. Trying to research what the pros know from experience, and DIY my way as close to a professional install as possible. I've always loved my tunes and I just want to hear ALL of the sound the way it was meant to be heard. I've been fairly distortion free, but never had a set up that actually produced a clean stage before.

As you mentioned I want to get rid of the NVH so I can hear more of the music for a start. Like having a solid six pack, but hidden under a layer of 'insulation'. I want to cut the fat so I can see what I'm actually working with, if you will.

·
Premium Member
4,524 Posts
In my opinion, with the amazing array of quality components available, AND if your budget allows for it, it would actually be difficult to fail if it is setup properly. (But it is entirely possible to buy quality components and end up with a result that isn't putting out its full potential)

1. Sound deadening
2. Quality components
3. Installing properly
4. Tuning

Step 1 and 4 have way more to do with getting your money's worth than most folks might think. In fact, I'd rather spend considerably less on #2 and do a good job on 1&4 than just throw a bunch high end hardware at it.

Probably not saying anything you don't already know.

·
Vendor
7,053 Posts
Wish you could hear it? Lol

Me too.

But honestly, I'd have to guess that it would be rather anti-climatic, especially after reading that build thread. I say that because only a couple of people that have asked to hear it have NOT been underwhelmed. :)

Don't get me wrong. Everyone agrees that it sounds fantastic, because it actually does. But most people automatically expect to be overwhelmed in a much different way than what it was designed to be.

I'm pretty sure it's an expectation of sound pressure, rather than sound quality. In fact, after a song or 2, almost everyone requests the same "turn it up" or "how loud can it get?"

I have a lot of amps and channels, of course, but none of them are really that high powered. Instead, just very clean and well tuned for the driver per channel. The real value in this setup is the "quietness" of the environment of a rolling vehicle, and the result allowing for "normal listening level" sound stage.

No listening fatigue. Not even after many hours of listening. And it IS exactly what I asked Christopher Pate to build for me.

My only complaint is that he has gone much further in his A-pillar design development and now has what appears to the eye to be arrangements that would build a deeper field of sound. I might, at some point, get him to upgrade my enclosures and re-tune just to see?

Anyways, I'm a huge fan of your efforts to sound deaden your trucks interior. It's a lot of work, not to mention the cost of materials. But it's an underappreciated factor in both the feel of luxury and the quality of sound.

the most crystal clear perfect sound quality i have ever heard in a vehicle hands down. more impressive than you can describe in words, one would need to hear your system to fully capture the true elegance of the sound.

Family First

321 - 340 of 343 Posts
About this Discussion
342 Replies
22 Participants
sleipnir
F150 Ecoboost Forum
F150Ecoboost.net is the best Ford F150 Ecoboost Forum with discussions on 2011+ F150 Ecoboost Trucks. Discuss performance mods, towing questions, wheels, tires, lift kits, and much more!
Full Forum Listing