F150 Ecoboost Forum banner

381 - 400 of 478 Posts

·
Registered
629 Posts
Discussion Starter · #381 ·
I thought you were already top-mount turbos?

Or was it just Slepnir and not both of you?

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
No sir, not I. To my knowledge the forum members going the top mount options are FullRaceGeoff, Sleipnir, and Biglipps66. Then ChrisH and the old pTown:eek:.

I have the FR GT/ OEM+ turbos installed. I believe my motor build is almost identical to Blown F-150 as far as internals, compression ratio, and head work. He's got a resonator. He's already done the return fueling and a few more bolt-ons like the tubes and coolant tank. And he has the 2018 turbos which flow more. (I'm very curious as to how much more)

I'm also in the same boat as he, and maybe you(?), with the bigger turbos decision. I think I may do cams as a max step for this truck and keep stock location turbos. Possibly upgrade to different stock location turbos in the future, but proooooobably no top mounts....

·
Premium Member
9,089 Posts
Maybe me?
I don't even want to discuss turbos. And fortunately, I don't have to make that decision yet.

Honestly, Ryan will give me a huge eye roll if I aim too low with the longblock as it is now. It's built for taking a woopin and the heads have a valvetrain meant to move air and spend some R's. But my favorite truck on this forum happens to be a Gen1 with oem location turbos. Lol

And since I'm Gen2, I'd easily (relatively speaking) fetch sea level increases over that truck and with easier fueling. So.... 550 without working it and getting long life?

Anyways, don't mean to step on your build thread.

I forgot you were GT's. I don't know why I thought you were pumping more air than that. Yea, I bet Ryan's set up does have you pondering what next.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
629 Posts
Discussion Starter · #383 ·
You mean that blue turd?! lol ;)
I think you should go small EFRs or G25-550's, just cus I know you're dying for my opinion.

But ya I'm watching Ryan's and thinking what the turbos would do at sea level. I've been looking for a healthy 500whp and and flat 5-550 torque curve on 91 pump. I may have my sights too high for these GT's...

·
Premium Member
3,936 Posts
You mean that blue turd?! lol ;)
I think you should go small EFRs or G25-550's, just cus I know you're dying for my opinion.

But ya I'm watching Ryan's and thinking what the turbos would do at sea level. I've been looking for a healthy 500whp and and flat 5-550 torque curve on 91 pump. I may have my sights too high for these GT's...
I expect to have some numbers for you this Summer. I'm genuinely curios of the effects elevation has on our trucks. So, I have plans to run at a Dyno that is roughly at 1500ft and one at 600ft of Elevation. The goal is really to see how much the SAE standard compensates along with the ability for the turbos to push more air at lower heights and how that factors into the number you get from a Dyno. To be as consistent as possible, I'll run the same tune and fuel. The two dynos are the same Dynojet model as I ran on last time I was on Local.

I'm not sure how accessible E85 is for you, but I personally think you can hit your goals on E30-E50 with your current set up.

·
Registered
6,078 Posts

·
Registered
629 Posts
Discussion Starter · #387 ·
I expect to have some numbers for you this Summer. I'm genuinely curios of the effects elevation has on our trucks. So, I have plans to run at a Dyno that is roughly at 1500ft and one at 600ft of Elevation. The goal is really to see how much the SAE standard compensates along with the ability for the turbos to push more air at lower heights and how that factors into the number you get from a Dyno. To be as consistent as possible, I'll run the same tune and fuel. The two dynos are the same Dynojet model as I ran on last time I was on Local.

I'm not sure how accessible E85 is for you, but I personally think you can hit your goals on E30-E50 with your current set up.
That's a lot of science! The consistency should give great feedback on the capabilities and limits of yours turbos and setup as you said.
I've been patiently trying to get to the point of maxing these turbos on the 91 I have locally. There's E85 pretty close by, so then I want to get to E30. I think that's the max the stock fuel lines can handle? Then return system and in-tank setup and try full E85. So far I'm locked up on an undefined ETC TQ SRC code, and looking for ways to move past it.

Figured I'd wait until the 91 tune was completely dialed in before I hit a dyno, then proceed with fueling. But now I might look for one sooner just for giggles and comparisons. I want to know my conversion factor for airflow to whp, so far I just ghetto-dyno based on guesses from datalogs. Your recent post were enlightening, but I assume we'd be different because of elevation. I'm almost at sea level, less than 500' most of the time.

What dyno jet model are you using so I can call around locally?

·
Premium Member
3,936 Posts
That's a lot of science! The consistency should give great feedback on the capabilities and limits of yours turbos and setup as you said.
I've been patiently trying to get to the point of maxing these turbos on the 91 I have locally. There's E85 pretty close by, so then I want to get to E30. I think that's the max the stock fuel lines can handle? Then return system and in-tank setup and try full E85. So far I'm locked up on an undefined ETC TQ SRC code, and looking for ways to move past it.

Figured I'd wait until the 91 tune was completely dialed in before I hit a dyno, then proceed with fueling. But now I might look for one sooner just for giggles and comparisons. I want to know my conversion factor for airflow to whp, so far I just ghetto-dyno based on guesses from datalogs. Your recent post were enlightening, but I assume we'd be different because of elevation. I'm almost at sea level, less than 500' most of the time.

What dyno jet model are you using so I can call around locally?
It might be worth it for you to strap it down. If nothing else, it will give you a baseline for future plans.

The Dynojet is the 224x, luckily it seems to be one of the most common.

The airflow you just posted was just a touch higher than I saw with my GT's and full bolt ons at less than 500ft above sealevel. I think I was around 18.5psi at the time peak. What do you see for timing advance?

·
Registered
629 Posts
Discussion Starter · #391 ·
It might be worth it for you to strap it down. If nothing else, it will give you a baseline for future plans.

The Dynojet is the 224x, luckily it seems to be one of the most common.

The airflow you just posted was just a touch higher than I saw with my GT's and full bolt ons at less than 500ft above sealevel. I think I was around 18.5psi at the time peak. What do you see for timing advance?
Spark or ignition? I need to research more on what I'm supposed to be looking for and what I want to see

·
Premium Member
3,936 Posts
The PID/DMR should be called SPARK ADVANCE. It will let you know how many advance degrees of timing your running. The higher the number, the better

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
629 Posts
Discussion Starter · #393 ·
This is why I asked about intake timing. Here's a random 3rd gear log. When I hit the undefined limit it starts to cut out.
first yellow line is throttle input, 0-100%
blue-green line is RPM, from 2k-6250
second yellow line is ETC TQ SRC, 0-18
purple is variable valve timing intake bank

·
Registered
629 Posts
Discussion Starter · #394 ·
Here's spark advance v2 from the same pull.
Added boost in orange- averages 18psi, gearshift spikes to 21 in this log.

·
Registered
629 Posts
Discussion Starter · #395 ·
And one more because the wastegates go haywire at the same time. Not sure if they're responding to the funk and struggling to maintain, or if they're the causing the funk. I suspected a leak in the wastegate lines but the way it jumps AFTER the limit code, I think its a response. And I've checked all the lines and fittings many times.

·
Premium Member
3,936 Posts
And one more because the wastegates go haywire at the same time. Not sure if they're responding to the funk and struggling to maintain, or if they're the causing the funk. I suspected a leak in the wastegate lines but the way it jumps AFTER the limit code, I think its a response. And I've checked all the lines and fittings many times.
View attachment 165388
Have you tried the 5psi springs? Only reason why I ask, is that even with the 5psi springs and having them too tight (3 turns of preload) leads to erratic Wastegate oscillation.

I have a second set of 5psi springs that I can send to you.

I do see what your saying about it being a possible symptom or response that is really caused by something else.

I may have missed it, but what code do you get after this happens?

·
Registered
629 Posts
Discussion Starter · #397 ·
Have you tried the 5psi springs? Only reason why I ask, is that even with the 5psi springs and having them too tight (3 turns of preload) leads to erratic Wastegate oscillation.

I have a second set of 5psi springs that I can send to you.

I do see what your saying about it being a possible symptom or response that is really caused by something else.

I may have missed it, but what code do you get after this happens?

I haven't tried 5# WG springs, I believe I have 7# installed now with 3 turns of preload.
I have brand new stock wastegates I could try, pretty sure those are 5#.

ETC TQ SRC code 18

·
Premium Member
3,936 Posts
I’ll dig into the code. I know we are running different turbos and such, but I’m only running 2 turns on 5psi spring and still making decent PSI at a good WGDC.

I would give the stickers a shot at 3 turns. They are a little bit “lighter” than the 5psi turbo smart springs.

·
Registered
6,078 Posts
What are you talking about turning the waste gates?

Broell, you'e running turbo smart wastegates? I have the stock ones that come on the turbos. I didn't know oyu had a built motor, maybe I forgot.

I have never looked at the WGDC graph. I only look at peak number to see what percentage it is seeing.

·
Registered
629 Posts
Discussion Starter · #400 ·
What are you talking about turning the waste gates?

Broell, you'e running turbo smart wastegates? I have the stock ones that come on the turbos. I didn't know oyu had a built motor, maybe I forgot.

I have never looked at the WGDC graph. I only look at peak number to see what percentage it is seeing.
Setting the preload on the wastegate. You fully close the wastegate flap and make contact with the little nut that goes on the WG shaft, then tighten the nut a certain number of turns for a set distance of preload.

Yes I currently have TurboSmart WGs, TS BOV, FR GT turbos, CAI, catted downpipes, exhaust, hot pipes, intercooler, radiator, separated trans cooler, oil cooler... need to steal Ryan's template and do a complete list

I just observe everything I've been told to log and draw my own conclusion, but they're less educated than I'd like.

381 - 400 of 478 Posts