F150 Ecoboost Forum banner
481 - 500 of 565 Posts

·
Registered
733 Posts
Discussion Starter · #482 ·
Cylinder 6. Piston was lower so I could see the whole piston and cylinder walls...

·
Premium Member
2021 Powerboost Platinum FX4 Kodiak Brown
11,111 Posts
Yea, no matter how beautiful those glamor shots are for a brand new build, that Ecoboost combustion chamber is a violent room to be in. Not to mention how complex the real time parameters for fueling/timing/boost is on these things.

Great pictures!

Sent from my SM-G988U using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
4,509 Posts
Hard to tell from the pic, but it looks like you have some carbon tracking on the Cyl 5 plug. If it is, then any misfiring would make that plug look rich. the Pistons and Cylinder Walls look pretty good though!

·
Registered
733 Posts
Discussion Starter · #485 ·
Other angle of Cyl 5 plug. They seem pretty uniform between each other. Looks like a used a bit too much anti-seize last time I had them out

·
Registered
2012 f150 3.5 platinum 4x4
170 Posts
Meth will clear that right up!.
Ok well, to be fair it took 20k of running my wat/meth kit to clean up 130k miles of carbon, but it did clean my piston tops up!.

I too look inside my motor. ( at every plug change , 10-15k miles ).

Kinda cool to see the progression of things, and it's always wise to keep an eye on everything.

·
Moderstrator
3,749 Posts
I don't see anything overly alarming there. The porcelain on one plug appears to be cracked and the boot appears to have signs of arcing down in the plug well.

This said, though the carbon on those pistons isn't scary (I've seen way worse), it's a definite sign of being too rich. That can be anything from the tune to bad injectors.

Are you completely comfortable with your tune?

Reactions: BRoell

·
Registered
733 Posts
Discussion Starter · #490 ·
This cylinder looks like fuel issue. Post prior piston looked normal

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Fuel issue like too rich? I'll check out the passenger bank tonight and see how it looks.
Can you translate the 2nd part 'post prior piston'?

·
Registered
733 Posts
Discussion Starter · #491 ·
I don't see anything overly alarming there. The porcelain on one plug appears to be cracked and the boot appears to have signs of arcing down in the plug well.

This said, though the carbon on those pistons isn't scary (I've seen way worse), it's a definite sign of being too rich. That can be anything from the tune to bad injectors.

Are you completely comfortable with your tune?
I didn't even pay attention to the porcelain just the tips and straps, I'll look again for carbon tracking. I guess I'll get a new plug and boot ready.

I've only worked with @Boostking so far, so I'm confident in the tuner. The tune seems fine as far as AFR from what I can tell. I believe he's hesitant to keep pushing the tune because its responding a little funky. Brett recommended I search around for mechanical issues, which is why I started scoping.

-Smells faintly like burned oil from exhaust
-Excess oil in intake tubing and BOV
-Oil consumtion between oil change intervals
-Occasional 2 second phaser/ chain clacking on cold start
-Intake VCT response is laggy, does not hit the target numbers being commanded by the tune.

·
Registered
733 Posts
Discussion Starter · #495 ·
Blow off valve

bottom of charge pipe, just after intercooler and BOV

Top of BOV reference line, into PCV delete. Dry, no oil present; but it’s also been sitting for a while. Bottom of line where it connects to the BOV was dripping oil once disconnected

·
Registered
733 Posts
Discussion Starter · #496 ·
Top charge pipe fitting just before the throttle body. Has a nice sticky ‘pine tar’ coating on the inside

·
Registered
733 Posts
Discussion Starter · #498 ·
So a couple weekends ago I finished swapping the AC clutch and pulley and took a few more photos.

I think my next step is to remove valve covers to inspect VCT solenoids and scope around the timing chain and tensioner. I procrastinated a few weekends then it rained this past weekend. So maybe Wednesday I’ll start, and finish up this weekend.

Can I just deal with the small spillage from passenger side cover? Or do I have to drain all the engine oil?

·
Registered
13 FX2 SCREW
178 Posts
Drining the oil is not needed very little comes out when removing valve cover.

If its never been off i would get a spare and have it ready.
Mine was impossible to remove due to the gasket sticking, 130k mile 2013, ended up chipping a corner off. Sealed up fine after but the fact was i broke it.

481 - 500 of 565 Posts