F150 Ecoboost Forum banner
501 - 520 of 557 Posts

·
Registered
729 Posts
Discussion Starter · #501 ·
Drining the oil is not needed very little comes out when removing valve cover.

If its never been off i would get a spare and have it ready.
Mine was impossible to remove due to the gasket sticking, 130k mile 2013, ended up chipping a corner off. Sealed up fine after but the fact was i broke it.
That’s another reason I’ve been procrastinating. I don’t want to break the painted valve covers

·
Registered
729 Posts
Discussion Starter · #502 ·
Looks pretty good overall. Nothing out of the ordinary from what I can see

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Nothing looks bad yet but I’m still worried what I’ll find. Main issue is VCT response to the tune, and funky noises which sound to me like VCT/ chain. I posted this in another thread the other day

·
Premium Member
4,383 Posts
In the top vid, it does sound like there is something VCT related causing a noise, but hard to tell. Do you have a XDI pump?

In the bottom vid, it sounds normal to me, other than the wind noise, which I assume is the fan.

·
Registered
729 Posts
Discussion Starter · #505 ·
In the top vid, it does sound like there is something VCT related causing a noise, but hard to tell. Do you have a XDI pump?

In the bottom vid, it sounds normal to me, other than the wind noise, which I assume is the fan.
XDI 35% pump installed

Bottom video- yes its just fan noise. Engine sounds normal and consistent, just loud. Valves and stiffer springs, no engine cover, no hpfp cover all have to contribute.
Everything sounds fine until WOT high revs exhaust gets a little ricey. I'm curious if its due to the intake valve timing and overlap, or just the lack of resonator.

But the top video there's that resonant clacking that intensifies until I let off the throttle. I can only replicate the sound in park revving at 2.5% throttle and about 1250 rpm.
It happens naturally only occasionally, usually when gently braking to a stop like parking or stop light. But it was enough to make me goof around and find that sliver of rattle-zone

·
Registered
1,874 Posts
Nothing looks bad yet but I’m still worried what I’ll find. Main issue is VCT response to the tune, and funky noises which sound to me like VCT/ chain. I posted this in another thread the other day
That does sound like VCT knock. As in the solenoid is not receiving adequate oil pressure.

Can you view VVT Intake bank 1? What’s the reading when you do the same RPM fluctuation?

·
Registered
729 Posts
Discussion Starter · #507 ·
Could the stiffer hpfp spring affect VCT outputs? It's among my numerous google search tabs...
"At some point, the force of stronger valve springs will overpower the VVT lube circuit and the cam position will wobble into dangerous territory with damaged valves and pistons the result"

"can stiffer high pressure fuel pump spring affect variable cam timing"
"can stiffer valve springs affect variable cam timing"
"crankcase pressure causing variable timing issues"
"excess oil pressure causing variable timing issues"
"ford VCT solenoid troubleshooting"
"ford VCT phaser troubleshooting"
"ford timing chain tensioner and cam timing"
"excess crankcase pressure and turbo leaks"
"excess oil from blow off valve"

·
Registered
729 Posts
Discussion Starter · #508 ·
That does sound like VCT knock. As in the solenoid is not receiving adequate oil pressure.

Can you view VVT Intake bank 1? What’s the reading when you do the same RPM fluctuation?
Which could affect VCT output at high rpm right? I'm racking my brain and wishing I knew more. Why I've also been googling "sct livewire ts+ external oil pressure sensor"

Pretty sure VVT Intake Bank 1 is being logged and what alerted the tuner, and what I used to graph my target vs actual.
And I'm pretty sure I do have a log of me producing this noise. Buried somewhere, I'll see if I can find it.

·
Registered
1,874 Posts
Which could affect VCT output at high rpm right? I'm racking my brain and wishing I knew more. Why I've also been googling "sct livewire ts+ external oil pressure sensor"

Pretty sure VVT Intake Bank 1 is being logged and what alerted the tuner, and what I used to graph my target vs actual.
And I'm pretty sure I do have a log of me producing this noise. Buried somewhere, I'll see if I can find it.
Correct. Oil pressure has a big effect on VCTs and timing chain.

Listening again, that’s 100% VCT knock. I’m curious if the screens on the solenoids are blocked up.

·
Registered
729 Posts
Discussion Starter · #516 ·
My parts only have 20k miles on them and no discoloration that would indicate any overheating. No metal bits found in the screens. So shouldn’t be a fatigued spring issue, but maybe a sticking valve?

When we first saw the timing issue I reached out to R Brown, and was advised the current oil might cause sludging. Was recommended to flush oil and swap from LE to Amsoil. I ran 2 amsoil flushes, but maybe there’s some funk still in there internally.

So do I take these solenoids apart and clean them out?
Do I just buy new ones?
Can I cycle them myself like the video below?
Or will I damage something, and I should send to RMB to test on his fancy machine?
Should I sneak into the Ford dealers tech area and bug a knowledgeable tech to test them and ask questions?

·
Premium Member
4,383 Posts
I’m seriously stumped. Unless you got a crap oil pump, I don’t know what else could possibly cause this. Everything looks good from across the inter webs.

Can you get a camera down to see how many teeth the chain tensioner is using?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

501 - 520 of 557 Posts