F150 Ecoboost Forum banner
521 - 540 of 557 Posts

·
Registered
729 Posts
Discussion Starter · #521 ·
Do you have the ability to monitor oil pressure?
No sir, not at the moment. I emailed SCT a while back to inquire about external sensors that would be compatible with the Livewire TS device. I'll have to search for their exact response, but I recall it wasn't very helpful. I know the devices have wire inputs for external sensors and monitors, just wanted a hot tip on which would work best for my situation

Have you guys tried a different tuning Strategy? Something doesn’t seem to be happy at all.
I don't believe so. @Boostking Is this a viable option?

When the new motor was installed and ready to fire up, I found the PCM was fried and had to fork out somewhere around $2k+ for a refurbished one. New PCM came with a new strategy code, so maybe there's something to it. I recall it felt sluggish/ laggy and 'off' once it ran and drove. I attributed it to the decreased compression ratio, new turbos, too-stiff WG springs, and the build changes in general

·
Premium Member
4,383 Posts
Your Vehicle: 2014 Ford Truck F 150 4WD V6-3.5L Turbo

Engine

Oil Pressure Test

NOTICE: Inspect the engine for installation of an aftermarket oil filter. Review oil and filter maintenance history to make sure that the vehicle has not gone beyond the standard Ford recommended oil change intervals. Check the engine oil level and check the oil for contamination. If the oil is contaminated, engine damage can occur. The source of the contamination must be identified and repaired as necessary.

Disconnect and remove the Engine Oil Pressure (EOP) switch from the engine. Refer to the appropriate system in Engine for the procedure.
Connect the Oil Pressure Gauge to the oil pressure port.
Run the engine until normal operating temperature is reached.
With the engine at idle record the gauge reading.
The oil pressure should be within specifications; refer to the specifications in the appropriate engine system.
If the pressure is not within specification, GO to Pinpoint Test A. See: Pinpoint Tests

Oil pressure Minimum 30 psi @ 1,500 rpm with engine at normal operating temperature

Normal Operation
Oil is drawn into the oil pump through the oil pump screen and pickup tube in the sump of the oil pan. Oil is pumped through the oil filter and then enters the main gallery where it is distributed to the crankshaft main journals, piston oil coolers and to both cylinder heads. From the main journals, the oil is routed through cross-drilled passages in the crankshaft to lubricate the connecting rod bearings. Controlled leakage through the crankshaft main bearings and connecting rod bearings is slung radially outward to cool and lubricate the cylinder walls as well as the entire connecting rod, piston and piston ring assembly. The cylinder heads are fed from a drilling into the supply passage feeding the main gallery. Main gallery pressure is sent through Variable Camshaft Timing (VCT) circuit and reduced as it enters the cylinder head galleries through fixed serviceable orifices, located at the upper part of the feed passages. It is this reduced pressure in the cylinder head galleries which feed the camshaft journals, rocker arm shafts or hydraulic lash adjusters and the primary and/or secondary timing chain tensioners. The camshaft lobe, roller followers, rocker arms and valve tappets are lubricated by splash created through valve train operation.

·
Premium Member
899 Posts
No sir, not at the moment. I emailed SCT a while back to inquire about external sensors that would be compatible with the Livewire TS device. I'll have to search for their exact response, but I recall it wasn't very helpful. I know the devices have wire inputs for external sensors and monitors, just wanted a hot tip on which would work best for my situation

I don't believe so. @Boostking Is this a viable option?

When the new motor was installed and ready to fire up, I found the PCM was fried and had to fork out somewhere around $2k+ for a refurbished one. New PCM came with a new strategy code, so maybe there's something to it. I recall it felt sluggish/ laggy and 'off' once it ran and drove. I attributed it to the decreased compression ratio, new turbos, too-stiff WG springs, and the build changes in general
While I try to avoid changing strategies, because sometimes it causes issues, sometimes its a valid troubleshooting step. I have tried the Tremor strategy in my truck as well as a few others in the past and not had a problem. However, when I can, most of the time, I stick with whatever Ford put in there to begin with.

Reactions: BRoell

·
Registered
729 Posts
Discussion Starter · #526 ·
If ya'll were in my position would you:
A- Put the VCT solenoids and valve covers back together and move on to troubleshoot other areas
B- Spray down the solenoids as best I can, then put back together
C- Order & install 4 new OEM solenoids
D- Dig in further like front timing cover, chain, tensioner, guides, phaser, etc
E- Push it off a cliff and eat the growing pile of change I've put into this thing (sarcasm, god I hope that nots the best solution)

·
Premium Member
4,383 Posts
If ya'll were in my position would you:
A- Put the VCT solenoids and valve covers back together and move on to troubleshoot other areas
B- Spray down the solenoids as best I can, then put back together
C- Order & install 4 new OEM solenoids
D- Dig in further like front timing cover, chain, tensioner, guides, phaser, etc
E- Push it off a cliff and eat the growing pile of change I've put into this thing (sarcasm, god I hope that nots the best solution)
A
Then you can get it running and at least check oil pressure. I would be wanting to verify oil pressure before throwing any parts at it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
729 Posts
Discussion Starter · #529 ·
Reading on the Raptor forums and they’re discussing FSA 21B10, a pcm reprogramming related to phasers. Apparently Ford is stating if the new programming is installed on their trucks by the end of year, can phaser related warranty is extended.

What would they be changing in the tune that prolongs phaser life? I assume something with the variable pressure oil pump, and wouldn’t relate to me?

·
Registered
729 Posts
Discussion Starter · #533 ·
Here’s a new video showing how all my efforts made the truck worse (heeeere’s your sign…)

Odd but the clacking sounds worse on my ears and phone speakers than my computer speakers

·
Registered
729 Posts
Discussion Starter · #536 ·
Oil pressure sensor and a way to gauge are at the top of my list. Finding a way to datalog it would be a huge win.
When I'm back from hunting I hope to compression and leak-down test as well

·
Registered
729 Posts
Discussion Starter · #538 ·
More emails and a phone call with SCT and it still seems like I'm on my own. Venturing into uncharted territory as far as they're aware. Seems odd to me that nobody has tried to hook an oil pressure sensor up to a Livewire TS device before. So unfortunately it looks like I have to gamble with some money and hope it works out.

So far it seems like grouping the following 2 items would work for me. Screw in the sensor, plug in the device cable, wire the sensor leads to the device leads... Plus an adapter or way to tie the sensor into the oil system.
Any input, ideas, or red flags PLEASE speak now!

Last question, for now... Where's the best spot to tie-in the sensor?
-Pre-oil filter
-Post filter, but pre-cooler
-post filter and cooler, before returning to engine

·
Registered
729 Posts
Discussion Starter · #539 ·
Back from hunting.

Ordered the sensor and SCT lead, should both arrive by early next week. My filter relocation adapter plate has threaded ports I can use to install the sensor. Sent an email to Improved Racing to see which portion of the oil circuit is being measured, pre- or post filter and cooler loop.

Now I'm deciding how important a physical gauge is to me. Do I really want to dish out $2-300 for an Autometer gauge to throw in the vent location, or just use the Livewire TS to display it? I reckon I'll wait to see if the device displays correctly before spending the extra money... Could buy other gauges like oil/ water temp, or other parts, or half of some HO turbos...

·
Registered
729 Posts
Discussion Starter · #540 ·
Just seen on FRF a member finished install and dyno tuning some CRP Stage 5's on a gen2 Raptor. Looks like peak tq starts around 3750 rpm

91 tune- 520 rwhp, 574 wtq
E85 tune- 630 rwhp, 638 wtq

521 - 540 of 557 Posts