F150 Ecoboost Forum banner
541 - 557 of 557 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,383 Posts
I think the Stage 5's are a great fit. The issue we are going to have, are the injectors. Stock Injectors are capped around 550whp. I personally don't want to run the stockers at max duty cycle, they won't last.

·
Registered
729 Posts
Discussion Starter · #542 ·
I think the Stage 5's are a great fit. The issue we are going to have, are the injectors. Stock Injectors are capped around 550whp. I personally don't want to run the stockers at max duty cycle, they won't last.
Aren't you planning to go with CRP stage 5's with the bigger turbine wheel? Is it the same turbine housing just machined out?
Is there any graphs or data published yet?

·
Registered
729 Posts
Discussion Starter · #543 ·
I think I’m about ready to go…
Circuit component Automotive lighting Gas Font Cable

Need to get some wire to extend the length as needed, then add some quick connects and sheathing/ heat shielding. Then install in the truck. Hoping it works out

·
Premium Member
4,383 Posts
Aren't you planning to go with CRP stage 5's with the bigger turbine wheel? Is it the same turbine housing just machined out?
Is there any graphs or data published yet?
They are at the top of the list right now for sure. I am holding out hope (probably due to my usual optimism) that there will be another stock location option that has the proper AR for bigger turbos. I think the Stage 5’s would do whatever I wanted and more, but a proper built from scratch turbo would make me feel better than a machined out smaller turbo. The stage 5’s use the stock turbine housing, just milled out. So you are trying to flow more through the same size housing. More potential for back pressure IMO.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
729 Posts
Discussion Starter · #545 ·
Well the AEM Oil Pressure Sensor communicates properly with the Livewire TS+ device. I can then use the quick calculator in LiveLink and see correct oil pressure values along with other recorded parameters. Still need to get the formula to work and display correct readings on the device in real-time...

Also did a throttle body calibration.

Warmed up, parked, and holding around 1500 rpm I can see oil pressure jumps between 30-50psi with the general pressure around 40psi.
Slope Rectangle Font Plot Line

Slope Plot Rectangle Font Line

·
Registered
729 Posts
Discussion Starter · #547 ·
Still having the same issues at WOT high revs, as stated- at least now it appears unrelated to oil pressure....

3rd gear WOT pull-
5000- airflow starts to level off (probably just turbo limitations?)
5500- airflow dips, and boost rises 2-3psi
5600- intake vct jumps from -60 > 0 > -18
- exhaust jumps from +15 > 0 > +16
5800- spark advance goes from a flat +10, and choppy dips to 7.5
- knock tapers from 0 > -1.25

Rectangle Slope Plot Font Line

Rectangle Slope Font Plot Parallel

Rectangle Slope Plot Font Triangle

Ecoregion Rectangle Slope Plot Font

Rectangle Slope Plot Font Line

Rectangle Slope Font Plot Line

·
Registered
729 Posts
Discussion Starter · #549 ·
The above are the general data I usually look at first to try and see trends or patterns.
Poking around more it looks like the short term fuel trim starts to deviate before all the rest. Whats this even measuring? Stoich? So its going from just slightly fat at .95 > leaner but perfect combustion at 1.0? Am I guessing correctly?
Would that cause breakup or something funky to happen? Seems too miniscule to make a noticeable difference, and doesn't seem it would affect cam timing so drastically?
Rectangle Slope Plot Font Parallel

·
Registered
729 Posts
Discussion Starter · #550 ·
I think I might install some new VCT solenoids in and see what changes? Don't want to waste money throwing parts at it, but it sure seems phaser or solenoid related. And although not cheap, much cheaper than the whole timing kit. I think its a much higher probability than harness, PCM, or tune related.

Seen so many threads of gen 2's getting new phasers under warranty then the problem returning shortly after. So I have about zero faith that replacement OEM phasers will even last. (Bump @RMB_Ryan for more gen 1 kit info & progress)

Maybe take it to Ford and see if their fancy computers have an idea...

·
Premium Member
4,383 Posts
Based on everything I’m seeing, that seems to be a logical step.

I still have a this “feeling” that something is up with that new PCM and strat you got. But I got nothing to base this on, lol.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
729 Posts
Discussion Starter · #552 ·
Picked up 4 new solenoids yesterday. Got home and checked em over, 3 of the 4 were damaged. 2 had dents in the VCT screens, 1 had a dent with a sharp crease that looked cracked.
I went back and ordered 4 new ones to exchange. Went today to pick up the new 4, and only 1 of 4 was damaged.

So between the 8 solenoids from Ford, 4 look good and 4 had visible damage.

2 new grey solenoids, 2 new black solenoids in hand. I did some romping and logging on the way home. We'll see when I can pop the valve covers and hpfp off again and replace the VCT solenoids. And then we'll see if it makes any difference...

·
Registered
729 Posts
Discussion Starter · #553 ·
Scored a new set of rims a while back for a great deal. Finally got the tires ordered, delivered, and mounted.

Old setup
20” FX4 wheels +44 offset with 2” wheel spacers
275/65r20 Nitto TerraGrappler G2s
Wheel and tire combo about 95# each corner
Wheel Tire Car Vehicle Motor vehicle

New setup
Method MR701 wheels 17x9” 0mm offset
Wheel spacers removed, no longer needed
35x12.5r17 Toyo Open County AT3
Wheel and tire combo about 90# each corner
Wheel Car Tire Land vehicle Vehicle

·
Registered
729 Posts
Discussion Starter · #556 ·
5 people and a bunch of gear to AZ, couple days of circles, and back home to CA. No issues, truck ran flawless.
Need more lights for dark times in the dirt
Automotive parking light Tire Wheel Car Automotive side marker light

I built my own camper kit thing for hunting and camping trips. Worked flawlessly and made for speedy gun deployment and easy organization. Hopefully I’ll get around to finishing, padding, and carpeting it soon
Motor vehicle Automotive design Automotive tire Orange Toy

541 - 557 of 557 Posts