F150 Ecoboost Forum banner

21 - 36 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
4,262 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
I used the GX to move my trailer around the other day. Being able to run the thing in 4Hi with the center diff unlocked is so awesome for the tight maneuvering. Barely have to touch the gas.

So far its been averaging between 18-19 mpg and drives exceptionally nice, especially for a BOF solid axle suv. I can't really say much bad about it other than the V8 not having the grunt like the Ecoboost, but then what does? The throttle tuning is also very economy minded, it will hold higher gears and you really gotta work the throttle to make it downshift. Some guys run a PedalCommander but the tuning issue is not the throttle curve itself but the tranmissions tuning. Not sure its worth the $ for a pedal commander.

I am really on the fence about mods. For some reason the tuning aftermarket on Toyotas is almost non-existent. You can't even adjust the tire size in the PCM. Instead, they have some half assed wiring harness that plugs into the back of your cluster to adjust the speedometer, but the ODO and MPG gauges would still be off. This means if I went to a larger AT tire all that stuff will be messed up for the rest of eternity unless HP Tuners comes through and expands their Toyota compatibility.

The lift is less of a hassle, but I don't know if I want a lift with stock sized tires. I may go and do Eibach Sport shocks or Bilstein 5100's at stock height or maybe just a front level. The other option would be to run Icon coilovers at stock height as well. I can run those anywhere from 0-3.5", so if the time comes to lift it I can do that with just some rear springs and adjusting the coils

·
Registered
130 Posts
I can’t say I’ve seen too many mod’d from the Lexus side, but many in the 4Runner community keep stock sized tires with up to a 2” lift... the thought process is that this maintains your factory clearance and travel without interference.

Key here, stock “size” those roady tires might look a bit out of place with much lift...

Also pulling the running boards is a popular first mod... but better find ya some mud flaps if you like that pristine paint!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4,262 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
I can’t say I’ve seen too many mod’d from the Lexus side, but many in the 4Runner community keep stock sized tires with up to a 2” lift... the thought process is that this maintains your factory clearance and travel without interference.

Key here, stock “size” those roady tires might look a bit out of place with much lift...

Also pulling the running boards is a popular first mod... but better find ya some mud flaps if you like that pristine paint!

The 4Runners tires are almost an inch taller which probably helps. The GX already looks a little doofy stock, so im sure any sort of lift will make it look worse.

·
Registered
4,262 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
Just did the rear diff oil yesterday. Toyota was nice enough to provide drain plugs in both diffs as well as the transmission and transfer case.

Took about 15 minutes.

·
Registered
4,262 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
Tried to do the front diff oil today, but apparently Lexus of Wichita had the Incredible Hulk come in to tighten it last time at 42k miles. My 1/2” impact driver nor a 3/8” wrench with 2’ extension got it to budge. Its a 10mm allen/hex so i gave up before i put my full weight on it for fear of rounding out.

Gunna pbblast it and hit it with a torch.

Lexus apparently uses a different plug in the IS/GS350 front diff that uses a 14mm nut, so I ordered that for whenever i get this out.

·
Registered
4,262 Posts
Discussion Starter #26 (Edited)
Did the transfer case oil today. That was easy enough at least.

The 460 t-case uses some fancy fluid. 75W. Just 75W. Toyota sells it for $60+ a quart but i found some made by Ravenol out of Germany for like $18 a liter. Still a little pricey but at least not $60.

·
Registered
4,262 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
Alright, well, I got the new diff plug on Monday. Since my last post on 4/8 I had been hitting the drain plug at least once a day with PB Blaster. I also hit it with a torch twice today before attempting to pull it.

Nope. Rounded that sucker out. The Lexus dealer who had done it before had already damaged it and my 10mm hex just didnt have the bite.

Any suggestions? I could weld a nut to it, or maybe strip the black oxide off my10mm hex and weld that. I am a little afraid to weld on the car though and blow out various electronics. Does anyone know of any extractors that may work?

·
Premium Member
2,769 Posts
Alright, well, I got the new diff plug on Monday. Since my last post on 4/8 I had been hitting the drain plug at least once a day with PB Blaster. I also hit it with a torch twice today before attempting to pull it.

Nope. Rounded that sucker out. The Lexus dealer who had done it before had already damaged it and my 10mm hex just didnt have the bite.

Any suggestions? I could weld a nut to it, or maybe strip the black oxide off my10mm hex and weld that. I am a little afraid to weld on the car though and blow out various electronics. Does anyone know of any extractors that may work?
Just disconnect your battery (both negative and Positive) and weld a nut onto it. Even the heat from welding can sometime help to loosen it up.

·
Registered
4,262 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
Just disconnect your battery (both negative and Positive) and weld a nut onto it. Even the heat from welding can sometime help to loosen it up.
I think what I might do is cut the hole into a square that fits a 1/2" drive directly using my dremel. If that doesn't work, ill have to weld.

Someone suggested that I could hammed a Torx in there, but worried it will have the same issue as the hex.

·
Registered
4,262 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
Looks like i have a slow leak in the right rear tire. Every few days the TPMS light comes on.

·
Registered
4,262 Posts
Discussion Starter #34
Nothing big to report. Just that I really like this thing so far. I really don't drive my truck at all anymore unless I am bringing the dogs for a walk and they are gunna get muddy.

I do wish there were some tuning options because the only thing I don't love is a the soggy low end and economy minded shifting. And by soggy I mean relative to the 4.7L Toyota V8 that was in the first gen Sequoia's and 2003-2009 GX470. They just felt way stouter down low than this 4.6.

·
Premium Member
857 Posts
Coming from a Tacoma you could try Tacoma World or Ih8mud to see if someone tunes them. I thought OVT but they moved from older platforms to focus on their new tuning software and turbo kits for the 3.5 Tacoma. Which turns out they’re using stock ecoboost turbos and the Garrett power max.

·
Registered
4,262 Posts
Discussion Starter #36
I used the GX as a tow rig for the first time today. I’ve moved my travel trailer around the yard with it a few times but nothing on the open road. We are building a deck so I borrowed my cousins 24’ trailer to pick up the materials:

The guys at the yard loaded the stuff super far back so the trailer was a bit squirrelly but, luckily, it was a 5 mile drive on back roads so i just took my time.

21 - 36 of 36 Posts