F150 Ecoboost Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Can anyone tell me roughly how many teeth show on a fresh chain job?

How worn is this?
View attachment 178403
Not exactly, but that tensioner looks to be extended pretty far in my experience. It also has rings that look like it’s settled in one place for long periods before. Idk, looks can be deceiving, but that appears to be less than new and either needs replacement or will need it very soon. While you’re in there upgrade to a Melling Hi-volume oil pump. Oil starvation is a contributing factor in these timing chain issues, and that extra volume really helps.

If you’re questioning whether or not this job has been done before, for future reference: any time I do major work on a vehicle, and this is what I consider a major job (6+ hours), I save the parts until the customer has come to pick up the vehicle, just in case they want to see them.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Not exactly, but that tensioner looks to be extended pretty far in my experience. It also has rings that look like it’s settled in one place for long periods before. Idk, looks can be deceiving, but that appears to be less than new and either needs replacement or will need it very soon. While you’re in there upgrade to a Melling Hi-volume oil pump. Oil starvation is a contributing factor in these timing chain issues, and that extra volume really helps.

If you’re questioning whether or not this job has been done before, for future reference: any time I do major work on a vehicle, and this is what I consider a major job (6+ hours), I save the parts until the customer has come to pick up the vehicle, just in case they want to see them.
Thanks for the reply. It's a replacement engine I purchased for my vehicle. Already cleaned valves, changed the chains, phasers, guides etc. I really considered the melling but did not use one. Engine has been dropped in. Buttoning everything up a few hours each day. Doing just the chain wouldn't be that bad, but an engine swap on these is very busy. Tight work areas. Here's a pic of the new and old chains hanging from a ratchet handle. Glad I swapped them out. There isn't any shiny part of the tensioner plunger sticking out with new components. Guides also had slight wear, I imagine that adds to plunger extension.
Automotive tire Building Wood Automotive lighting Tints and shades

·
Registered
28 Posts
Thanks for the reply. It's a replacement engine I purchased for my vehicle. Already cleaned valves, changed the chains, phasers, guides etc. I really considered the melling but did not use one. Engine has been dropped in. Buttoning everything up a few hours each day. Doing just the chain wouldn't be that bad, but an engine swap on these is very busy. Tight work areas. Here's a pic of the new and old chains hanging from a ratchet handle. Glad I swapped them out. There isn't any shiny part of the tensioner plunger sticking out with new components. Guides also had slight wear, I imagine that adds to plunger extension.
View attachment 178642
Good job! You’ll be thankful you did. How many miles were in the new engine, and how dirty were the valves?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts