F150 Ecoboost Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay I have a 2011 f150 4x4 eco boost platinum and it has been in two shops with no luck. Truck suddenly went into power saver mode and eventually died while driving sown the highway. Check engine light is on battery light is on. Stays in battery saver mode. All I get is code 0320 and all the sensors have been changed by two shops, new battery, new pcm programed to the truck as well as key fobs. Truck still only cranks over will not start. Don’t know where to look next. Any suggestions will help. Thanks

·
Premium Member
1,713 Posts
Do you have access to ForScan or IDS? That code will always have a secondary hidden code in the PCM. That will let you know what’s causing the problem. Standard readers cannot read hidden codes.

·
Premium Member
1,713 Posts
Pick up an ELM327 tool from Amazon. You can usually grab them for about 25-35$. Then download ForScan. Pretty much gives you a mini IDS besides the ability to reflash etc.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Does it have spark and fuel at the rail?
The last shop it was at they said they changed all the plugs and tested the coil packs and the high pressure fuel pump appears to be brand new. I’m old school so not how how to check for spark with no plug wires and I see a fuel rail from the pump but no where to test for fuel. Again I can do well on older stuff but have never work on this particular truck, it’s my brothers just trying to help him out since he is broke after paying two shops only to still have no wheels.

·
Registered
2012 Ford F-150 FX2 3.5 5.5 3.55
18 Posts
Pretty easy to diagnose (if you are in Austin Texas, let me know and i can help)

you only need 5 things to start an engine - air, fuel, spark, compression, timing.

with that code, obviously spark seems to be the place to start. Pull out all 6 spark plugs and turn the engine over and see if they spark. If they don’t (which is probably the case) get out a voltimeter and start testing continuity on wires and just keeping going backwords until you find where the power isn’t getting through.

Based on what you wrote, My guess is you have a frayed wire somewhere. Somewhere in between the battery and the spark plug, the electricity isn’t getting through (if you have no spark when you pull the park plug out)

now if you do have spark, then I’d go to check if you have fuel (does the fuel pump pressurize) and then you have to start looking at timing issues.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Here is a silly question. If there is no fuel is it possible for the truck to throw out that code. I ask because the gas gauge reads an 1/8 of a tank but I tap on the tank and it sounds empty and if I shake the truck I don’t hear anything sloshing around. Also I ran the Forscan and of course it gave me the 0320 code and several issues on the bcu saying low voltage. I have had the battery on trickle charge for a day now and still not charged. Its a new battery and I have only cranked the truck over a few times since the last full charge. I plan to run the scan again when it’s fully charged but now I’m having laptop issues.

·
Premium Member
1,713 Posts
If you hear the pump turn on then turn off - you are good. That means the low pressure pump hit its threshold. Now HPFP you can read the rail pressure using ForScan.

Don’t be afraid to use some of the engine troubleshooting procedures as well. Example being Key On Engine Off test. I believe it’s 3-4 tabs down from the top?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Okay I know it’s been a bit but we ended up taking the truck to the local Ford dealership and they had it for a few days and then called and admitted defeat. They basically say it’s got good fuel pressure and check all the sensors and wiring and it not getting spark and they don’t know why. Good things is they didn’t charge for all the hours they had worked on it but now what the heck is a man to do.

·
Premium Member
2021 Powerboost Platinum FX4 Kodiak Brown
9,857 Posts
That's kind of amazing. On several fronts.

They can't fix it
They can't figure out why no spark
They aren't going to charge you for their efforts

That's a rare combination from a dealership and the very product they sell and service.

Sent from my SM-G988U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
The dealership charged the diagnostic fee and parts but wrote off all labor hours. The only code it has had was the csp sensor code and that has need changed like 4 times now. Before we took it to the dealer the the truck would immediately go into battery saver mode and I managed to fix that by resetting the bcm with the forscan tool mentioned in previous posts but it still won’t start. The dealership thinks it’s the computer but they can’t be certain that will fix it and they can’t even get a new one. We have already put a refurbished one in so I think I might put the original one back in and see what happens.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts