1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Mileage 62-66k
Preowned
2012 3.5 EcoBoost platinum

Video was taken before I installed a K&N cold air intake and replaced an o2 sensor. This sound pretty much occurs at any speed (except high acceleration) and usually occurs after driving for more than 10 minutes or so. I took the truck into the dealership because it is still under warranty and they told me they “couldn’t hear the noise and checked the turbos and everything seemed to be fine”. After installing my intake, I notice the sound to be much more “mechanical” and metal sounding. My original guess was the wastegate, but this is the first turbo vehicle I have owned besides an rspec genesis, which never had any issues..so I’m not very knowledgeable on them.

Ive only found one video online of this same noise and the answers they gave to the fix were quite wishy/washy so this is my final resort. Any ideas/suggestions/things I should check, it would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I’ve researched that and based on the sounds and idle noises etc, it doesn’t quite seem like that. I’ve found one post throughout all forums, videos on YouTube and I’m starting to think the actuator needs to be adjusted. I have the sound of constant air flow coming in and then it’s dumping it (causing that sound).

·
Registered
3,966 Posts
I’ve researched that and based on the sounds and idle noises etc, it doesn’t quite seem like that. I’ve found one post throughout all forums, videos on YouTube and I’m starting to think the actuator needs to be adjusted. I have the sound of constant air flow coming in and then it’s dumping it (causing that sound).
Seeing that the check engine light is on, why not start with diagnosing that?
It does sound like it's wastegate flutter... it could be a bad wastegate solenoid, or possibly a leaky BOV.
Check what's causing the check engine light to be lit, and go from there.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Based on my knowledge, experience, and research that sounds very indicative of the dreaded timing chain issue that year of the 3.5L ecoboost was plagued with. Sorry brother but you might have to take that in to a shop and have all the timing chain phasers replaced.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Seeing that the check engine light is on, why not start with diagnosing that?
It does sound like it's wastegate flutter... it could be a bad wastegate solenoid, or possibly a leaky BOV.
Check what's causing the check engine light to be lit, and go from there.
The light was on because of an o2 sensor which I replaced and cleared the codes. No other codes have been thrown since then.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts