F150 Ecoboost Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone! Quick question. I am going to swap in a larger throttle body, CAI, Charge pipe, BOVs and get a 91 octane tune on my 2012 Ecoboost.
Question is: Will these upgrades throw any engine codes?? and has anyone else done these upgrades and can tell me what to expect?? (Power, torque and drivability)

·
Registered
4,249 Posts
There is debate on whether the larger throttle body even does anything. The general consensus is no. The reason why most probably don’t think its a benefit is because, when you make more power on a turbo’d truck, you are simply compressing the air more. The actual volume flowing through the TB is not changing, just the density is increasing via compression so, assuming the TB was large enough for the stock truck, it should be large enough for a modded one as well.

On an NA engine, to increase power, you are increasing volume since the pressure in front of the throttle body doesn’t change. Its always roughly ambient pressure. Going from 400 to 500 hp on a V8 means you’re flowing 25% more volume through the TB and so you need a larger TB to swallow extra the volume. So its a popular mod on NA or supercharged(twin screw or roots style, a centri is like a turbo) V8's since the TB can be too small.

And yes, the TB could potentially cause issues. The PCM has a set of parameters in it to help it determine the angle the TB needs to be open to provide proper boost/airflow to the manifold. By putting the TB on there, you would be throwing those parameters off. In other words, the PCM expects the TB to do one thing at a certain angle but the larger TB would be doing another.

CAI, charge pipes and BOV's will likely result in zero power without a maxxed out tune. The PCM is load based and so it will limit airflow into the motor to arrive at the desired air load regardless of what mods you put on it. Only if you are maxing out your turbos could you expect a CAI to help much.

·
Registered
4,249 Posts
Order of mods should be:

Tune
Intercooler
Downpipes(turbo adapters if you feel like battling that while you are in there)
Turbos
CAI

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
My next upgrade is going to be the intercooler! And after that it’s exhaust/downpipe time. Thanks for the input though! I actually have 5/6 things in. I’m waiting on the new spark plugs to come in. I, hopefully with weather permitting and work schedule permitting, am putting everything on my truck come Sunday. I’m excited just to do the work and have more durable and useful parts on my FX4. I want it to run just as good as she looks. Feel free to tag photos of your trucks if you want! I always admire a good looking F150. If I didn’t have my baby I’d want a 2015 (body style) King Ranch all color matched with the 3.5

·
Registered
2,120 Posts
Order of mods should be:

Tune
Intercooler
Downpipes(turbo adapters if you feel like battling that while you are in there)
Turbos
CAI
But for the 91 octane and tune appropriate, I would say the CAI is $$ you could spend on something else.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts