F150 Ecoboost Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2012 F150 Eco boost, I'm pretty anal about taking care of it, I use only non ethanol premium unleaded gas, I change oil every 5000 miles with Amsoil synthetic. A week ago, I was passing a car and was at full throttle, when all of a sudden, BOOM, big noise from the front, blue smoke coming out the back, and coolant coming out everywhere. Had it towed to the Ford dealer, come to find out a rod came apart inside,and put a hole in both sides of the block. It ha 43,000 miles on it, and THANK GOD for the 5 year, 60000 warranty. They ordered a new long block, turbo, and anything else the oil might have come in contact with. The service manger said they have never seen anything like this happen with an ecoboost, has anyone else had issues like this?

·
Premium Member
3,967 Posts
I have a 2012 F150 Eco boost, I'm pretty anal about taking care of it, I use only non ethanol premium unleaded gas, I change oil every 5000 miles with Amsoil synthetic. A week ago, I was passing a car and was at full throttle, when all of a sudden, BOOM, big noise from the front, blue smoke coming out the back, and coolant coming out everywhere. Had it towed to the Ford dealer, come to find out a rod came apart inside,and put a hole in both sides of the block. It ha 43,000 miles on it, and THANK GOD for the 5 year, 60000 warranty. They ordered a new long block, turbo, and anything else the oil might have come in contact with. The service manger said they have never seen anything like this happen with an ecoboost, has anyone else had issues like this?
Were you running a custom tune and programmer at the time?

·
Registered
725 Posts
The service manger said they have never seen anything like this happen with an ecoboost, has anyone else had issues like this?
That is either a mighty uninformed dealership, has excellent rose colored glasses - or he lies. While it happens to a small fraction of the engines, it is not unheard of. Look around the forum a little bit and you will see some recent photos of the exact same thing.

·
Registered
427 Posts
Ess ess eye :confused: Funny after one certain tuned one comes apart , someone posts rather quickly of a stock one letting go. Seen it more than a few times here. Hope you get it fixed quickly.

·
Registered
12 Posts
My 2012 blew also, completely different situation, but same result. KABOOM! It happens man. Warranty is a beautiful thing

·
Registered
20 Posts
I have an 11 and mine blew @61K... it's very common and Ford is doing everything they can to hide it so they won't have to put out a recall on 11 12 and up to mid 13 ecoboost engines. I fought with Ford for three months to get mine fixed.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,266 Posts
That is either a mighty uninformed dealership, has excellent rose colored glasses - or he lies. While it happens to a small fraction of the engines, it is not unheard of. Look around the forum a little bit and you will see some recent photos of the exact same thing.
Just because you've heard of it doesn't mean everybody in the world has. It's not part of the dealerships job to look around all the forums to see how every truck posted about is having problems.
i don't think it's totally unreasonable that a dealership that could be in a small town may not have heard of a totally stock truck throwing a rod with such few miles.

·
Premium Member
3,223 Posts
In my big dealership of 4 mechanics and a service manager said that he hasn't had any problems with any of the Ecoboost, just one that overheated and it was A police cruser and had hardly no water in radiator, the troopers said it was their fault. So this isn't such a widespread problem. With the numbers nearing 1 million way less than 1% is not something you cry wolf with. I'm sorry for the OP, like bigsmitty above said "things just happen". That's why we have a warranty for. Good Luck OP at least you'll have a new engine :):)

·
Registered
1 Posts
It happened to me....

Well I have just about the similar issue going on where it looks like a rod has failed and it has blown a hole through the block. I have the Ford ESP plan, and it has now been about three weeks as the decide if they will fix it or not. I am at 93,000 miles on the ESP 100,000 plan. It seems though ever week they want more pictures. Today I had to give the go ahead for them to tear down the engine down, if ESP covers it should not be a problem, if not I owe ford about $1400.00. I just hope this brings some finial resolution to my problem. I also was passing a car at about 3/4 throttle and it gave out. I also have had my oil changed diligent by the oil computer. I am though very frustrated at this point.

Lord Vader

·
Registered
2019 f150 3.5 ecoboost crew cab 4x4 heavy tow package fx4 6.5' bed highly modified
6,602 Posts
Well I have just about the similar issue going on where it looks like a rod has failed and it has blown a hole through the block. I have the Ford ESP plan, and it has now been about three weeks as the decide if they will fix it or not. I am at 93,000 miles on the ESP 100,000 plan. It seems though ever week they want more pictures. Today I had to give the go ahead for them to tear down the engine down, if ESP covers it should not be a problem, if not I owe ford about $1400.00. I just hope this brings some finial resolution to my problem. I also was passing a car at about 3/4 throttle and it gave out. I also have had my oil changed diligent by the oil computer. I am though very frustrated at this point.

Lord Vader

There is no reason you should not get a new engine under warranty, it may take a while but there is no reason you wouldn't. Were you all stock?
A friend of mine had his go at 75k ish miles and also had the Ford ESP plan, it took at least a month and same as you lots of pictures but in the end they replaced his engine.
I would just keep on them.

Reactions: TraciInTexas

·
Registered
12 Posts
I have a 2013 F150 platinum 4x4. 72K on the motor and the truck was sitting at idle (talking to a buddy) as I left his place, a 1/4 mile driveway to the main road/highway. Pulled on the road, attempting to get up to speed then...
KA-BOOM.. It was violent! Long story short, finally got it to Ford and basically told me "you're on your own" 12K over driveline warranty. I've never owned anything but a Ford Truck.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I have a 2013 F150 platinum 4x4. 72K on the motor and the truck was sitting at idle (talking to a buddy) as I left his place, a 1/4 mile driveway to the main road/highway. Pulled on the road, attempting to get up to speed then...
KA-BOOM.. It was violent! Long story short, finally got it to Ford and basically told me "you're on your own" 12K over driveline warranty. I've never owned anything but a Ford Truck.
Oh... Then the Ford Dealer said I owed them $199 for determining the engine was blown! Quoted me $15,500 to replace.
I'm like all of you guys. You pay $30 - $80k on a truck, you MUST religiously charge oil. I sure did. It ended up costing me about $8,000. Bought a good low mileage motor (same 3.5) and had it swapped.

·
Premium Member
2022 Powergrid KingRanch in Sparkle White
14,688 Posts
A perfect example of why I will consider my pocketbook vulnerable the moment any of my 3.5's are beyond warranty.

And for that same reason, my strategy is to either :

1. Acquire another truck
2. Invest in extended warranty that can be reasonably trusted
3. Be READY to replace the oem motor with another. And preferably one with a built block.

I know I sound like a broken record player but these crappy pistons can last longer than the factory warranty, yet let go at anytime. As one inmate here discovered recently, he had piston skirt pieces laying in his oil pan and his truck was still running fine. That's a ticking time bomb, and I bet there's more of them than most suspect.

I LOVE this drive train. So don't misunderstand. But I enjoy it with eyes wide open.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
155 Posts
A perfect example of why I will consider my pocketbook vulnerable the moment any of my 3.5's are beyond warranty.

And for that same reason, my strategy is to either :

1. Acquire another truck
2. Invest in extended warranty that can be reasonably trusted
3. Be READY to replace the oem motor with another. And preferably one with a built block.

I know I sound like a broken record player but these crappy pistons can last longer than the factory warranty, yet let go at anytime. As one inmate here discovered recently, he had piston skirt pieces laying in his oil pan and his truck was still running fine. That's a ticking time bomb, and I bet there's more of them than most suspect.

I LOVE this drive train. So don't misunderstand. But I enjoy it with eyes wide open.

it seems these low mile blown engine threads are coming up a lot lately on these 3.5's. I have 163k on mine and haven't had any issues, but i'm starting to get concerned. I know there is a thread on here with numerous trucks well above the 200k mark w/ general maintenance and no issues, makes me wonder if the one who don't daily drive these engines or put a lot of miles on them are making them more suspect to major issues.

·
Premium Member
14,688 Posts
it seems these low mile blown engine threads are coming up a lot lately on these 3.5's. I have 163k on mine and haven't had any issues, but i'm starting to get concerned. I know there is a thread on here with numerous trucks well above the 200k mark w/ general maintenance and no issues, makes me wonder if the one who don't daily drive these engines or put a lot of miles on them are making them more suspect to major issues.
Personally, if I had a high(er) mileage truck, such as yours, I'd actually be LESS concerned about this very specific issue.
What I mean by that is the suspect piston would have likely revealed itself before 150,000. Or put another way, 150,000 miles is a rather powerful indication that you didn't get a fragile piston in your batch of 6.
Certainly not all pistons are subject to failing, but statistically enough of them do that Ford replaces longblocks under warranty, and some even beyond. (according to the social media world)

Don't confuse me with some expert though. Lol
I'm just parroting what an engine builder would say if he was sharing his opinion on the components found in an oem 3.5. In fact, I believe it was stated that many of the 3.5's that are reported with rod failure were likely to have actually been piston failure that led to the rod failure.

What's irritating to me is to also hear that a good strong forged piston would be incredibly inexpensive for Ford, considering the economy of scale on this motor. As a truck buyer, I would never even be aware that the improvement cost an additional $50 bucks. (or even as little as $18.00 at $3.00 per cylinder)

·
Registered
155 Posts
Personally, if I had a high(er) mileage truck, such as yours, I'd actually be LESS concerned about this very specific issue.
What I mean by that is the suspect piston would have likely revealed itself before 150,000. Or put another way, 150,000 miles is a rather powerful indication that you didn't get a fragile piston in your batch of 6.
Certainly not all pistons are subject to failing, but statistically enough of them do that Ford replaces longblocks under warranty, and some even beyond. (according to the social media world)

Don't confuse me with some expert though. Lol
I'm just parroting what an engine builder would say if he was sharing his opinion on the components found in an oem 3.5. In fact, I believe it was stated that many of the 3.5's that are reported with rod failure were likely to have actually been piston failure that led to the rod failure.

What's irritating to me is to also hear that a good strong forged piston would be incredibly inexpensive for Ford, considering the economy of scale on this motor. As a truck buyer, I would never even be aware that the improvement cost an additional $50 bucks. (or even as little as $18.00 at $3.00 per cylinder)

from what i've gathered on this forum and others is, if something was going to happen, it would have happened pre 100k mark. But that still doesn't make me not think about it every time I got WOT....LOL... b/c i know anything can happen at any time, but good maintenance and keeping up with services makes me feel better. I just hope i don't have to deal with it.

·
Premium Member
14,688 Posts
from what i've gathered on this forum and others is, if something was going to happen, it would have happened pre 100k mark. But that still doesn't make me not think about it every time I got WOT....LOL... b/c i know anything can happen at any time, but good maintenance and keeping up with services makes me feel better. I just hope i don't have to deal with it.
I know what you mean. But all the vigilance and extreme efforts of maintenence will do nothing to prevent a defective piston from losing its skirt.

It's a quality control issue. One that could be easily overcome by simply erring with a better piston than required! Ford, GM, Chrysler..... Heck ANY modern manufacturer and their engineering prowess has the know how to overbuild where it's cost effective to.

I'd take almost any design risk over the bottom end. From what I understand is Ford designed a great block, crank, and rod, relatively speaking. It deserves a better piston to finish the ensemble.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.