F150 Ecoboost Forum banner

21 - 40 of 68 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
Ouch. Definitely felt easier lifting the cab. Watch that mount bolt on driver side. Disconnect the steering shaft too. Good luck!

Late to the party but good work so far. I removed the intake manifold and hard plastic coolant lines underneath the manifold. With the manifold moved there was just enough space to squeeze an arm in between the firewall with a deep socket then a speed wrench, but it did filet my forearms a bit. I'm puling my motor out of the vehicle today, everything's disconnected and just waiting to pick. I chose to leave the front driveshaft, trans mount, and a few other things, we'll see how it works out.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
Had some little extra time tonight and started dissembling the damaged engine. I feel now, based on what I see as I open things, that this was caused by oil collected in the Intercooler getting sucked in and causing the hydro lock when I suddenly accelerated fast Into Highway. Will post pics later. The varnish on the valves is insane as well.

There was oil in the intercooler and pipes. Thought nothing of it being the oil till I started seeing more now.

·
Modinstrator
3,181 Posts
If you wouldn’t mind, show us the backs of the valves when you post the pics.

·
Registered
629 Posts
I feel now, based on what I see as I open things, that this was caused by oil collected in the Intercooler getting sucked in and causing the hydro lock when I suddenly accelerated fast Into Highway

There was oil in the intercooler and pipes. Thought nothing of it being the oil till I started seeing more now.
What makes you think that, the presence of the oil? Have you seen any damage that would support that?

Will post pics later. The varnish on the valves is insane as well.
Curious to compare to mine, just took photos a few days ago and posted in my build thread.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
At the moment it’s all theoretical based on observations thus far.
To my surprise, I had just gone for an oil change not long before incident. Come find that even after all this I still have a engine full oil level... Was my engine overfilled? Causing a shot of oil thru the vent pipe into the intake manifold? How is is possible?? I don’t know.

But how can i have a full engine oil level..???

Will post pics later today. Just extremely busy not sure how to do from my phone yet.

I feel now, based on what I see as I open things, that this was caused by oil collected in the Intercooler getting sucked in and causing the hydro lock when I suddenly accelerated fast Into Highway

What makes you think that, the presence of the oil? Have you seen any damage that would support that?

Will post pics later. The varnish on the valves is insane as well.
Curious to compare to mine, just took photos a few days ago and posted in my build thread.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
Pics. Just noticed the paper clip icon. Lol

Look at all that oil! Just dripping off the manifold seals. The intercooler Has oil inside as well. No signs of water mixed with oil.
Pipes have oil as well In the various spots it can rest. Like the couplers.

Attachments

Reactions: devin

·
Registered
2013 Screw XTR BCB Tuned
862 Posts
Holy crap that's a ton of oil in the intake and in the heads by the valves!!! Like whoa! :eek: Not good! I just had my intake off not that long ago, and it was drier than a popcorn fart! As for the valve cleaning, Google "Walnut blast Ecoboost valves" and you'll get a ton more to read.

·
Registered
2,072 Posts
Mine looked similarly, just not as wet. How many miles on that intake? Mine had about 68,000 miles on it. But it was thick enough to scratch the film with your nail. After seeing mine, I'll probably do a walnut blast every 40-50k miles.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 ·
Mileage is 78K

I ended up cleaning with throttle body air intake cleaner. let it soak with valves closed for a couple minutes then soaked rags and repated a few times to remove. used pressurised air to dry the rest up and loosen up any hard to reach spots. not perfect clean but its clean.

Truck is running as of this saturday. It gave me a scare as I did not realize how much oil had been collected on the exhaust from the original engine damage.

I had a huge smoke cloud took about two hours to slowly disipate drove a few times at varying rpms and now its very low...

I am hoping it all goes a way when i start driving it this week.

Next on the list is making my own catch can and filtration to have only clean air enter the intake system and tubing. The amount of oil everywhere was insane.

Mine looked similarly, just not as wet. How many miles on that intake? Mine had about 68,000 miles on it. But it was thick enough to scratch the film with your nail. After seeing mine, I'll probably do a walnut blast every 40-50k miles.

·
Registered
2013 Screw XTR BCB Tuned
862 Posts
Mileage is 78K

I ended up cleaning with throttle body air intake cleaner. let it soak with valves closed for a couple minutes then soaked rags and repated a few times to remove. used pressurised air to dry the rest up and loosen up any hard to reach spots. not perfect clean but its clean.

Truck is running as of this saturday. It gave me a scare as I did not realize how much oil had been collected on the exhaust from the original engine damage.

I had a huge smoke cloud took about two hours to slowly disipate drove a few times at varying rpms and now its very low...

I am hoping it all goes a way when i start driving it this week.

Next on the list is making my own catch can and filtration to have only clean air enter the intake system and tubing. The amount of oil everywhere was insane.
Glad you got it working, and hope that oil clears up and you get to un-pucker your butthole on this!

·
Registered
2,072 Posts
Wait a minute, how did you go from pulling the motor and looking at the oily intake to driving around town? Have any more photos of the motor installation? What parts did you move over? We need more details!

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #33 ·
LOL... I am so afraid to go full throttle and rediscover a broken rod... lmao

Glad you got it working, and hope that oil clears up and you get to un-pucker your butthole on this!

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #34 ·
Wait a minute, how did you go from pulling the motor and looking at the oily intake to driving around town? Have any more photos of the motor installation? What parts did you move over? We need more details!
Once engine was out, the reinstall is easy. This last Saturday/Sunday was swap a few parts, and install. The install is much faster. the hardest part was aligning the engine and transmission converter.

Since I was on the move getting things done, I really did not bother with pics, since its all the reverse of removal.

I had to swap the engine harness, driver valve cover, water pump and some related plastic broken parts that came with used engine, swap intake manifold due to broken plastic parts, I reused everything else from the used motor. Turbos looked to be in great shape and associated engine parts.

Let me know any details you want me to speak about.

Reactions: snakebitten

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #35 ·
My catch can setup. Built my self. Need to get pvc or oil/fuel rated hoses. Vent pipes already had oil and you know where it’s all going...

One hose to each valve cover, one hose to oem location on driver side turbo. Capped intake manifold as I don’t want any vapor going into intake valves. Might do something where a separator is used to ensure only dry air goes in the manifold.

Attachments

·
Registered
2013 Screw XTR BCB Tuned
862 Posts
Nice build there. How's that new setup running for you after some daily driving?

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #37 ·
So far great mike. Finished last night. Idles and runs perfectly. Now to see how much it collects.
The can is screened, baffled and filled with stainless steel sponges. The bottom has a drain and also Has full removable bottom cap for inspection and cleaning. Let’s see after a some miles are in it.

Reactions: Mikedick77

·
Registered
2013 Screw XTR BCB Tuned
862 Posts
So far great mike. Finished last night. Idles and runs perfectly. Now to see how much it collects.
The can is screened, baffled and filled with stainless steel sponges. The bottom has a drain and also Has full removable bottom cap for inspection and cleaning. Let’s see after a some miles are in it.
That's awesome it worked out for you in the end. Alot of work you put into the truck, and glad it runs great for you. I hope you get to enjoy it problem free for a good long time!

·
Registered
1,351 Posts
Man just following this. Good job and I think this is the first documented DIY engine swap on the forum, if I am not mistaken?

21 - 40 of 68 Posts