F150 Ecoboost Forum banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone, I'm new here but wanted to share some information about my truck. I have a 2012 F150 with the Ecoboost engine and it has about 34k miles.

About 500 miles after getting an oil change at my dealership, the engine began making a tapping sound. I went to check the oil and found it to be pretty brown for being new oil and a bit overfilled. The dipstick showed about an inch and a half above the max fill line.

So I took it to the dealer before work that afternoon and showed them the sound. The service guy asked me to bring it back in the morning so they can take a look at it since they were about to close and shrugged it off making it seem like the sound wasn't too big of a deal.

As I was driving to work, which was only about 4 miles from the dealer, the tapping noise suddenly got very loud following a BANG. The engine began shaking and loosing power. Thankfully I was just arriving to work so I could park it. I turned the engine off for a few minutes and started it back up. The tapping sound is more like a hammer now. I turned it off and called my service tech. Surprised, he immediately set up for a tow.

The next day I get a call saying the engine suffered catastrophic failure and was going to be replaced under the warranty. They said metal chunks were found in the oil and the turbos were damaged too. I just found it strange that they didn't ask me any questions at all about what I was doing when it happened. Like accelerating or cruising or stopped. Anytime I've ever had a major issue in the past with a car, I've been hounded with questions to make sure it wasn't me being stupid with my driving.

And that brings me back to the oil being dark and way overfilled. Is it true that overfilling can cause major damage since the crank shaft will froth up the oil not letting it reach the heads? If that is true, do you think they may have seen all that oil in there and they knew they were at fault and that's why they are already replacing the engine? They haven't even looked inside it they said.

Anyways, what do you all think of this?

Trey

·
Registered
873 Posts
If be really happy they are replacing it no queations asked and super pissed they broke my truck! I'd prolly be chewing someone out until I got a straight answer. Are they setting you up with a loaner truck?

It almost sounds like they put in used oil. I've never heard of overfilling causing a quick darkening. I have heard of the frothing you're talking about but it didn't sound like it was that much over full...

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
If be really happy they are replacing it no queations asked and super pissed they broke my truck! I'd prolly be chewing someone out until I got a straight answer. Are they setting you up with a loaner truck?

It almost sounds like they put in used oil. I've never heard of overfilling causing a quick darkening. I have heard of the frothing you're talking about but it didn't sound like it was that much over full...
I am thrilled that they are taking care of me! I just had a feeling they were hiding something from me since they came up with their conclusion without 'knowing' what caused the issue. I just wanted to know what went wrong and why it happened. They gave me a mustang to drive.. Not what I was hoping for. I won't be going to the lake for a while now :/

·
Registered
868 Posts
its not that big a deal for them to put a complete new engine in, its just the matter of getting it there and then doing the swap.
i agree the way they handled it sounds suspicious but you may never know the real answer.
i doubt they would have put used oil in it and an extra inch or so would not destroy an engine but if antifreeze was mixed into the oil because of something they did yes the engine would not live long at all
being the turbos are fed both oil and anifreeze i would put my money on that being the root cause but why would be just a guess
the other possibility would be something they may have done to an injector but i would think if that was the case the ECM would have detected miss fires and you would have felt it before 500 miles was up

i would go with something happened at the turbo to start the whole process snowballing

·
Registered
4,688 Posts
The brown oil and overflowed could have been coolant was leaking into the engine. Maybe a blown head gasket or warped head.

In turn, water in the crankcase coudl have caused a bearing to fail. I would ask them exactly what happened.

·
Registered
5,138 Posts
I also just had a engine failure today, sounds like the same things you guys are talking about
AlbertaF150's
Glad we got a chance to talk on the phone yesterday.

·
Registered
7,395 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
so here is the update on my 2012 ecoboost, i had complete engine failure, to which the dealership says it started from the turbochargers and into the engine, i had 58553km on the motor and only a K&N Airfilter on the truck at the time..
when i find out more i will update this....

·
Registered
148 Posts
Guys, don't forget to add your engines to the "official engine failure" thread. And welcome to the club! Unless you have a spare $12,000 laying around, it really isn't worth tuning or lifting the '11-'12 trucks (or any Ecoboost for the matter) that is covered by a warranty. And if it isn't covered, I'd try to find one to buy... I love the power, but I feel like I'm playing Russian roulette every time I get in the gas heavy.

·
Registered
8 Posts
ok so the final update on my Ecoboost engine failure from 3 weeks ago, wasn't due to turbo failure, it was due too Push Rod failure, from the service report the dealership removed the #1 spark plug to scope the cylinder for inspection, with this they found the broken Push Rods, they also remover the oil filter for inspection and it was plugged with debris... i am unsure if this was the reason behind the failure or prolonged it until it failed all together...
Ford replaced the long block, both turbos and CAC, to which i am very thank full i still has the remaining of my power train warranty...

·
Registered
3,933 Posts
ok so the final update on my Ecoboost engine failure from 3 weeks ago, wasn't due to turbo failure, it was due too Push Rod failure, from the service report the dealership removed the #1 spark plug to scope the cylinder for inspection, with this they found the broken Push Rods, they also remover the oil filter for inspection and it was plugged with debris... i am unsure if this was the reason behind the failure or prolonged it until it failed all together...
Ford replaced the long block, both turbos and CAC, to which i am very thank full i still has the remaining of my power train warranty...
Pushrods? Is it an ecoboost or a GM Ecotec in this thing? Slothman, how did you miss this?

·
Registered
5,138 Posts
Exactly what I figured the failure would have been. Thanks for the update!

·
Registered
671 Posts
I am assuming you mean connecting rods. No push rods in our motors. With the knocking first it sounds like oil starvation leading to a spun main or rod bearing. This is the knocking you heard.
After the bearing locked up it broke a connecting rod. So the question becomes, did they run your motor with no oil, then fill up when they realized it. Maybe scorching the oil from hot internals??
Or did they fill with used oil somehow?? Weird but sure sounds like dealer screwed up. Thankfully it was the dealer and not a 2 bit oil change place.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I was a victim of the Ford Ecoboost nightmare. Engine failure at 82,000 miles and out of warranty so Ford said "TOUGH"! As in Ford Tough! Cost $8000 for a used engine with 25K miles but I'm afraid to give it gas now. Failed without warning, no lights, no issues, and still don't know what happened. Ford didn't bother to find out either. I've owned 3 F150 trucks (and Expeditions and Explorers) and they all ran fine well past 150K miles before I traded them. But this Ecoboost is a time bomb. I should have been smarter than buy a turbo engine from Ford. I'll be trading it in on a Toyota Tundra soon so I can drive without thinking every trip might cost me $8000. As they say "Ford Tough"! I won't be buying another Ford vehicle which is a shame because my father, grandfather, uncles, etc worked for Ford and several retired after 35+ yrs there. I dont have the heart to tell them that Ford sucks!

·
Registered
8 Posts
How do you scope a cylinder through the spark plug hole and see a pushrod failure or a connecting rod failure on anything except a cylinder failure? If you can see a connecting rod thru the spark plug hole, you had some major friggin failure! But the fact that you said push rod failure in a overhead cam engine would indicate that you really have no idea what happened. I don't think Ford has a clue either so don't be concerned just hope you get rid of that time bomb before it self destructs again!

1 - 20 of 47 Posts