F150 Ecoboost Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm brand new here. My 12' 3.5 ecoboost has total of 120,000 miles on it. Engine replaced at about 80,000 miles. I just don't live at high altitude, I luve at extreme high altitude (10,200 ft). My upgrades are few but I'll list what's been-being done and have the parts in hand:
-Injen polished cold air intake (new filter, heat shield mount broke most likely from many dirt roads I drive on and is held in place now with bungie because can't find just the heat shield).
-Spyder headlight and led tail light upgrade (nice look, not happy with low beams brightness)
-JLT 3.0 oil separator Passenger Side (I wish I installed this a long time ago and installing this in a few days).
-2" front leveling kit nothing rear (should be installing in a week)
-275/70r18 tires (after level is installed)
-Sport Terrain 18" x 8" +22mm black rims (replaced stock 20" rims with these. I live in the mountains, in dirt/mud and snow often and tires that stick out are too damaging and not what I like----size was recommendedwhen I bought em, cheap, and I would have got 9" if I knew what I was doing).
-few cosmetic things such as painted grill, grill emblem, weather tech floor matts, etc.

Since I live at so high of an altitude I don't know what mods I should really look at. The truck is fast (most likely cause of engine failure was 17 yr old son driving it hard pushing the engine too hard). There's another thing I'm afraid to do is tuner in fear the programming up here, lack of oxygen, etc. Will stress it too much.
I've thought cat-back 3.5" exhaust, larger intercooler(no clue what one to look at), improved charge pipes, turbosmart valve to improve boost, throttle response thingy, etc!
So many damn things out there I'm confused as hell. Obviously I don't have a tin of money (look at my rim purchase!! Haha).
Any advice out there will help me. Which upgrades anyone suggest for my situation? The order to install them because these are going to have to be done one night, another few months, next another few months type of thing.

Lag is terrible in the truck, I'm not looking to race the thing, in 4 wheel drive often due to snow and driving habits, rural mountain town but do highway driving quite often, and thanks for any help/advice!!

·
Registered
2016 Ford F-150 XLT 2.7 Ecoboost 3.55 Axle
750 Posts
I'm brand new here. My 12' 3.5 ecoboost has total of 120,000 miles on it. Engine replaced at about 80,000 miles. I just don't live at high altitude, I luve at extreme high altitude (10,200 ft). My upgrades are few but I'll list what's been-being done and have the parts in hand:
-Injen polished cold air intake (new filter, heat shield mount broke most likely from many dirt roads I drive on and is held in place now with bungie because can't find just the heat shield).
-Spyder headlight and led tail light upgrade (nice look, not happy with low beams brightness)
-JLT 3.0 oil separator Passenger Side (I wish I installed this a long time ago and installing this in a few days).
-2" front leveling kit nothing rear (should be installing in a week)
-275/70r18 tires (after level is installed)
-Sport Terrain 18" x 8" +22mm black rims (replaced stock 20" rims with these. I live in the mountains, in dirt/mud and snow often and tires that stick out are too damaging and not what I like----size was recommendedwhen I bought em, cheap, and I would have got 9" if I knew what I was doing).
-few cosmetic things such as painted grill, grill emblem, weather tech floor matts, etc.

Since I live at so high of an altitude I don't know what mods I should really look at. The truck is fast (most likely cause of engine failure was 17 yr old son driving it hard pushing the engine too hard). There's another thing I'm afraid to do is tuner in fear the programming up here, lack of oxygen, etc. Will stress it too much.
I've thought cat-back 3.5" exhaust, larger intercooler(no clue what one to look at), improved charge pipes, turbosmart valve to improve boost, throttle response thingy, etc!
So many damn things out there I'm confused as hell. Obviously I don't have a tin of money (look at my rim purchase!! Haha).
Any advice out there will help me. Which upgrades anyone suggest for my situation? The order to install them because these are going to have to be done one night, another few months, next another few months type of thing.

Lag is terrible in the truck, I'm not looking to race the thing, in 4 wheel drive often due to snow and driving habits, rural mountain town but do highway driving quite often, and thanks for any help/advice!!
I’d say, definitely do the intercooler. I live at 7500 feet and drive to 10,900 very often. Just got a tune and wow it’s crazy.

Reactions: Peleger

·
Registered
2,720 Posts
welcome, IC and tune

·
Premium Member
2013 XLT 302A 145" Screw
3,447 Posts
Catch can is a waste. Get the new brown PCV valve installed instead.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
welcome, IC and tune
Thanks! This stuff is costly so I'm definitely doing one thing at a time. I just can't dump $3,000 into it all at once, ya know. The intercooler looks $950ish. I see a CVF Atlas for $650. Think I'll go with the CVF on that. After that tuner but God bless there's too many to choose!

·
Registered
750 Posts
Thanks! This stuff is costly so I'm definitely doing one thing at a time. I just can't dump $3,000 into it all at once, ya know. The intercooler looks $950ish. I see a CVF Atlas for $650. Think I'll go with the CVF on that. After that tuner but God bless there's too many to choose!
I have the CVF Titan Intercooler for the 2016 and I’m impressed with it. so yeah, that CVF intercooler will be awesome.
As for tuner, I am really impressed with the SCT LivewireTS+
And if you want a custom tune, talk to @Boostking, he’ll get you all set up.

·
Registered
9 Posts
This thread helped me out. I just moved from SoCal to Cheyenne WY and its 6k elevation here and my truck feels it...I have most boltons except for an IC.

Reactions: boostkingMatt

·
Registered
750 Posts
This thread helped me out. I just moved from SoCal to Cheyenne WY and its 6k elevation here and my truck feels it...I have most boltons except for an IC.
Glad it did! You doing a tune?

·
Registered
9 Posts
yeah got them today lol from 5 Star. just ordered the mashimoto black from Stage 3 and will get new tunes

Reactions: boostkingMatt

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
yeah got them today lol from 5 Star. just ordered the mashimoto black from Stage 3 and will get new tunes
I have the CVF Titan Intercooler for the 2016 and I’m impressed with it. so yeah, that CVF intercooler will be awesome.
As for tuner, I am really impressed with the SCT LivewireTS+
And if you want a custom tune, talk to @Boostking, he’ll get you all set up.
Great advice! Thanks! I'd love to do all this at once but the tune is more costly than it should be for what it is, but that's just my opinion. Any thoughts in my situation doing the IC first, charge pipe upgrade, then tune.....then next summer upgrading my exhaust lastly?
OR....tune now, and IC. Next summer charge pipes and exhaust? I see so lots of guys do everything all at once but there's no way I can buy all this right now... still paying on my truck due to almost 9 grand engine replacement I financed.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Great advice! Thanks! I'd love to do all this at once but the tune is more costly than it should be for what it is, but that's just my opinion. Any thoughts in my situation doing the IC first, charge pipe upgrade, then tune.....then next summer upgrading my exhaust lastly?
OR....tune now, and IC. Next summer charge pipes and exhaust? I see so lots of guys do everything all at once but there's no way I can buy all this right now... still paying on my truck due to almost 9 grand engine replacement I financed.
I meant in first option...if I do my charge pipes the tune will wait til next summer along with exhaust upgrade. Guess I can do 2 mods now and 2 are going to wait a year. Thanks a

·
Registered
750 Posts
Well brother, I didn’t buy all my stuff at once. I was like you. I started modding my truck last year in the summer. So what I have is almost a years worth of me buying stuff once a month or so.
My advice to you is to do all your bolt ons (intercooler, exhaust, intake, BOV, turbos, etc) first before you get your tune so you don’t have to do so many revisions every time you add a bolt on. I just recently began the tuning on my truck, but I’ve been waiting over a year to tune it.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Well brother, I didn’t buy all my stuff at once. I was like you. I started modding my truck last year in the summer. So what I have is almost a years worth of me buying stuff once a month or so.
My advice to you is to do all your bolt ons (intercooler, exhaust, intake, BOV, turbos, etc) first before you get your tune so you don’t have to do so many revisions every time you add a bolt on. I just recently began the tuning on my truck, but I’ve been waiting over a year to tune it.
That
My advice to you is to do all your bolt ons (intercooler, exhaust, intake, BOV, turbos, etc) first before you get your tune so you don’t have to do so many revisions every time you add a bolt on. I just recently began the tuning on my truck, but I’ve been waiting over a year to tune
Thanks! That's kinda what I expected ya to say.
First I guess I need to get off my ass and level the thing! All this is going to be fun as hell!

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I know my Sierra doesn't belong here but I've always been a GM guy and this truck is my first Ford I've ever owned.

·
Registered
750 Posts
First I guess I need to get off my tail and level the thing! All this is going to be fun as can be!
Yeah level was like the third thing I did.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I installed the oil catch can. Bought it, can't hurt, and got a bit in the can after 45 miles. Both highway and dirt roads. I guess it is better than recycling through the engine.

·
Premium Member
2013 XLT 302A 145" Screw
3,447 Posts
The same thing recycles thru every other engine with no issues.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
First I guess I need to get off my tail and level the thing! All this is going to be fun as can be!
"Fun as can be" is not how I would describe my last few weekends. After lower ball joints, upper control arms (complete because it looks to me replacing ball joint isn't an option), new rotors, brakes, went with 2" motofab kit because it's cheap, new hubs, sway bar links, cleaned tons of rust off all parts, painted, new tires, went up a bit to 275/70r18s, and I think it looks good. Alignment guy says it needs inner tie rod ends. So, ordered those, will install and take back next week. Steering wheel isn't straight now, I do get an occasional clunk from front driver side when I hit a big bump. Not driving it until everything is straight due to the new tires but I hope I get these little things worked out when I do the inner T.R. ends. Picture to follow.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
"Fun as can be" is not how I would describe my last few weekends. After lower ball joints, upper control arms (complete because it looks to me replacing ball joint isn't an option), new rotors, brakes, went with 2" motofab kit because it's cheap, new hubs, sway bar links, cleaned tons of rust off all parts, painted, new tires, went up a bit to 275/70r18s, and I think it looks good. Alignment guy says it needs inner tie rod ends. So, ordered those, will install and take back next week. Steering wheel isn't straight now, I do get an occasional clunk from front driver side when I hit a big bump. Not driving it until everything is straight due to the new tires but I hope I get these little things worked out when I do the inner T.R. ends. Picture to follow.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts