F150 Ecoboost Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone,

I have never posted here, but I have read a lot through the forums. Anyways, I am looking at buying a 2012 f-150 screw with 3.5L with 159k miles from a small car lot. The issue is that it has a check engine light on. They gave me the codes and they are P0017, P0018, and P0019. I did a little research and that leads me to think that the timing chain is stretched and needs to be replaced. They claim that the truck is running and driving great. The only reason that I am considering buying it is because they have a fantastic price on it. Any thoughts on if it is worth buying/looking into? -Thanks

·
Registered
6,902 Posts
Tell them to have the phasers and timing replaced and you will buy it at their asking price or get 5k off and take it to the dealer and get it done.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I got a strong impression that they wanted to sell it as is. They were only originally asking 8700 and dropped it to 7500. It looks like a really clean truck otherwise. Does it normally cost 5k to replace timing chain and all associated items?

·
Registered
1,422 Posts
It's ~$1000 in parts and 9-10 hrs labor. Depending on the shop rate, you'll be in it for $3K at a minimum. Most people that do the job themselves throw more parts at it because you might as well change them while you're in there. If you're thinking of driving it with those codes without addressing the issue, I personally would not do that. But YMMV. Even at 10K, it doesn't seem like a bad deal if you have the money to fix it. Be mindful though, there could be other issues lurking if the previous owner drove it for a long time with those codes showing. Such as camshaft wear, case wear, metal shavings in the motor, vcts, etc.

·
Registered
6,902 Posts
Heck for $7500 you could toss a JY engine in it and be back to a new truck.

Rust and mileage would be the deciding factor.

·
Premium Member
5,944 Posts
If the truck LOOKS good inside and out, and it FEELS good on a thorough test drive, then as pointed out, you have a really nice truck that can have a NEW life for a few thousand bucks to address the worst case scenarios.

It's all about the strategy you go into it with.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I haven't looked at the truck in person yet, it is a 3 hour drive away. From the pictures, the body and interior are really clean. It is hard to tell, but there might be 1 tiny spot of rust on the bottom of the tailgate. I don't have pictures of the frame. I have another question for all of you. It has badging for an XTR, what is that?

·
Registered
1,422 Posts
This came up in another thread. That means it was a Canadian truck that was imported. The XTR is similar to an XLT in the US. Don't let that throw you off, my truck was Canadian as well. There's a lot of them being imported back to the US after customers trade them in in Canada because of the exchange rate. This has been going on for several years now.

·
Registered
6,902 Posts
Yep they tried buying my truck back off me to sell to the US and put me in a new truck for the "same payments" that was 2 years ago. If I didn't have so much Into the lift, wheels, tires, tuner, body mods I'd probably have gone for it.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts