F150 Ecoboost Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Brand new around here, and I could use some help with figuring out what might be causing a whirring sound when I accelerate. I can hear it most at lower speeds, but it is definitely there through all the gears, louder in 1-3 though.

I can hear a slight grinding when I turn left sharply, so I'll be checking bearings tomorrow.

Fuel milage has gotten much worse lately. I don't do too much city driving, and its up to 16.0L/100km.

I'm trying to narrow down what this could be, if its the rear diff pinion bearing, tensioner pulley, clogged cat, torque converter or #9 torrington bearing.

Heres the video I made where you can hear the sound:

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I also have the timing chain rattle at startup for the last couple months. Could this whirring sound, lack of power and worsening milage be caused by the timing chain issue?

Thanks in advance everyone.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hi All,

Just to follow up on this sound. I couldnt pin it down by listing to it. I took it to the trans shop, they confirmed "yep, that whirring sound, thats your pinion bearing, it'll be $1600 to fix". I said, dang, okay, do it.

They called the next day and said "right, so the problem was, what? A sound? A whirring sound? Hm, cause its still making that noise'. I asked them to pull the cover off the trans, and about 50 ball bearings and needle bearings rolled out of there. I didnt have to pay for the rear end which was nice of them.

TL:DR: It was the transmission, I simply swapped that out and no more whirring sound.

·
Registered
2013 Screw XTR BCB Tuned
862 Posts
Thanks for following up. Maybe this helps someone else diagnose in the future.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts