F150 Ecoboost Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

· Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey so I'm having trouble with these aftermarket adjustable blow off valves, got them from turbosmart. They are the "Kompact Shortie Dual Port BOV". Install was quick and easy and had left them at the factory 50/50 setup/adjustment.

Now the issue is that my passenger side keeps going off wayyyy too easy, while the drivers side has to be above 3000rpm to go off, also i seem to be getting a bit of flutter from the drivers side along with a bit of a sluggish start off the line.

What could cause the two, when adjusted the same, to go off at different rpms? is it unequal boost levels from each turbo? do these BOVs need to be at equal adjustment or can one be "tighter" or "looser"? I did look at the instructions provided but cant seem to make much sense of them.

------

I'm new to the turbo world and used to carburetors and N/A classics. I don't know much about these or how to tune/diag turbos. Went to a shop to ask them for help and to check it out and they wouldn't even look at it.
Any help is greatly appreciated. (also apologies if i posted this in the wrong section)

· Registered
197 Posts
honestly, i think this above my paygrade but I will take a shot at it so somebody can come in and actually answer your question. I have never seen a set up with 2 BOVs. it seems to me that if each turbo has its own and one of them was further from the turbo or something and registers a pressure change first, since the sides are connected at the intercooler, the boost from the side that does not activate, may dump its boost back through to the BOV that triggered.

· Registered
2,429 Posts
If I were you, I would install the factory BPVs. The 11-12 f150s are bit more complex when it comes to the turbos. You’ll notice actually each side has its own solenoid to control the BPV. It’s a mixture between mechanical and electrical operation.

Those kompacts are not designed for the 11-12s. They are meant for vehicles with a straight shot to the intake manifold. Turbosmart just claimed they were compatible as its the same BPV mounting setup on some other vehicles. Far more complex. You can end up destroying your turbos….

If you need to replace the factory BPVs, I can provide you the p/n.

· Premium Member
7,463 Posts
honestly, i think this above my paygrade but I will take a shot at it so somebody can come in and actually answer your question. I have never seen a set up with 2 BOVs. it seems to me that if each turbo has its own and one of them was further from the turbo or something and registers a pressure change first, since the sides are connected at the intercooler, the boost from the side that does not activate, may dump its boost back through to the BOV that triggered.
'11 & '12 3.5 Ecoboost engines in the F150's have a BOV on each side.

· Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thank you for everyone’s input but I got it all figured out. Brought it to another local tuner and he adjusted them and now they are both popping off at the same time and my throttle response and off the line acceleration has returned. I will keep using these as many have them and have had no long term issues with them as far as the health of the turbos go.

· Registered
2012 F150 3.5L FX4
13 Posts
If I were you, I would install the factory BPVs. The 11-12 f150s are bit more complex when it comes to the turbos. You’ll notice actually each side has its own solenoid to control the BPV. It’s a mixture between mechanical and electrical operation.

Those kompacts are not designed for the 11-12s. They are meant for vehicles with a straight shot to the intake manifold. Turbosmart just claimed they were compatible as its the same BPV mounting setup on some other vehicles. Far more complex. You can end up destroying your turbos….

If you need to replace the factory BPVs, I can provide you the p/n.
Hey. If you have the p/n I would love to have it. I'm looking for 2 factory blow offs for my 2012 but can only find the Turbosmart ones for $100+/per. CAD

1 - 7 of 7 Posts