1 - 20 of 23 Posts

· Registered
2012 F150 3.5L FX4
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Wood Gas Metal Font Machine
EDIT: SOLUTION FOUND.
Turbo wastegate actuators.
Both where reading on gauge cracking pressure was 6-7 (should be 3-5 supposedly)
Max open reading was 12-13 (should be 12-15 supposedly)

New reads are cracking at 4-5, and open at 14.
So, slight difference but that's what fixed my issue.
Only by a couple psi each actuator.
Replaced both, and problem is fixed.

Original- - - - - - - - - - -
Hey all. I'm brand new to joining this forum. Although I've been coming to the site in and off for the past 2 years for insite, as a lurker lol

Truck Is all stock

But I'm having issues with my turbos:

- NO CEL but p0234 stored in computer (overboost)

Coming from a red light or stop sign I get a "wooshing" sound like "wooshwooshwooshwooshwoosh"
If I really get in the gas It will stop and seems to boost properly

WHAT I'VE TRIED:
- I've checked the wastegates, they are not seized, pressing in the arm that the actuators connect to they will open and close.

- I have very LOOSELY attempted to inflate the actuators, they will inflate and open the gates.
At a very low setting on my compressor tried roughly 7psi the passenger actuator will move, the driver side requires a bit more but will open. (Whether they will hold air I don't know, don't have a pressure pump)

- Today replaced the turbo actuator solenoid on top of the engine with a brand new one from dealership, hoping it would be that simple, is not.

My guess as to what is happening is possibly the driver side actuator is not set correctly or equal pre load to the passenger side.
And the driver actuator would be opening a little later and kind of fighting each other if it's trying to close while the passenger side is opening?
Could that be correct?

BOV'S sound like they're venting properly, prompt and stable release upon deaccelerate.
I have seen the new actuators available on fullrace(?) But not thinking I need them
Been having this issue for about a year.

Any one experienced with turbos and DIY willing to help me out or even give your thoughts much appreciated!
( FYI I am poor and dealerships are not am option lol)

Thanks!

Tried posting a short video of the sound but no luck. Sorry

· Registered
2013 race red SCrew 4x4 air lift bags
2,633 Posts
Hi. And welcome.

It looks like some testing needs to be done. Whatever you find, report back. It really helps the next guy.

· Registered
2013 FX2 SCrew E30 5*,
28 Posts
Get a vac/ pump for vehicle brakes. You can connect them and balance the waste gates. It takes pressure to open the waste gates. I had to do it on mine. double check your BOV for sticking or small holes cracks in the membrane. Mine was intermittently working.
That would be a starting point in my opinion.
good luck.

· Registered
2012 F150 3.5L FX4
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Get a vac/ pump for vehicle brakes. You can connect them and balance the waste gates. It takes pressure to open the waste gates. I had to do it on mine. double check your BOV for sticking or small holes cracks in the membrane. Mine was intermittently working.
That would be a starting point in my opinion.
good luck.
Ordered a Mityvac pressure pump, will test the wastegates and will let you all know my findings.
I'm having a hard time finding exactly what psi they should be cracking at and when they should be wide open. Any way to find that out?
Thanks

· Registered
2013 FX2 SCrew E30 5*,
28 Posts
Mine are opening at about 5psi. Should have full waste gates open around 18-20.
If someone has more experience or knowledge please chime in.

· Registered
194 Posts
Mine are opening at about 5psi. Should have full waste gates open around 18-20.
If someone has more experience or knowledge please chime in.
my 2011 is 3psi crack, full at 15psi

· Registered
2012 F150 3.5L FX4
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hey all.
So put the mityvac to the actuators.
They seem to be cracking at 6-7psi and appear to be open at 12-13psi

Anyone know what that means?
Actuators are set too tight?

· Registered
2012 F150 3.5L FX4
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
well this is exactly what mine is doing, 2012. I wish there would be more help on this issue.
Yeah searching the web there doesn't quite seem to be an answer. And reading some posts it seems the op's don't follow up with their solution or findings...

I promise I will post once I figure out the issue. 🤘 and please do post here if you figure it out as well haha

· Registered
2012 F150 3.5L FX4
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Im dealing with this issue right now currently doing turbosmart wastegate actuators this week and all 3 turbo bypass along with downpipes and adaptors in 2 weeks.
Big money, I was quoted $400 for the bypass solenoids, EACH.

Not sure if you're doing those 1 by 1 but if you put in those new actuators let me know if that solves anything for you ✌

· Registered
2012 F150 3.5L FX4
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
What!? They are $37 for each solenoid. Not hard to change. The actuators are 300 for the set on turbosmart.
$37!! Wow man yeah dealership told me $397 each one. For just the parts that's not an install, so im trying to rule out anything that might not be those lol!
On FullRace they sell stock actuators for 119, those might be my next step.

· Registered
4 Posts
$37!! Wow man yeah dealership told me $397 each one. For just the parts that's not an install, so im trying to rule out anything that might not be those lol!
On FullRace they sell stock actuators for 119, those might be my next step.
I just changed them out now with the new ones. Made it worse. Put other ones back on but rotated them and it seems to have gotten better than before.
My turbosmart actuators will be here tomorrow. Hopefully have them installed Friday and will post something.

· Registered
2013 FX2 SCrew E30 5*,
28 Posts
Let us know what turbo smart wants them set at. I’m betting 5psi.
mine is set at 7. But I’m betting that’s too high. If I had my truck I would bump mine down.
Let us know.
CJ

· Registered
2012 F150 3.5L FX4
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I just changed them out now with the new ones. Made it worse. Put other ones back on but rotated them and it seems to have gotten better than before.
My turbosmart actuators will be here tomorrow. Hopefully have them installed Friday and will post something.
Those new solenoids made it worse? That's interesting, probably try them again once you got the new actuators on. Switching my boost solenoid one on top actually helped my issue very slightly

· Premium Member
78 Posts
I guess I found a huge boost leak on the lower turbo hose, right under the hose clamp, took a pressure smoke test to find it. it only leaked above 6psi or so.
will see if that fixes my problem once I get replacement part. should be tomorrow.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.