F150 Ecoboost Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Symptoms... I have a 2012 F150 EB I can hear the seat click on when I press the button, and the fan start blowing, but after a couple seconds, the fans stops and it doesn't get hot. Switch light stays on. Happens with both driver's and passenger's seats. AC seems to work fine.

Did a search and found a few threads indicating that there is a common fault with the heated seat elements burning wires, etc. I would like to check continuity of the heated seat element, but cannot find instructions on how to do so. I also don't know which plug under the seat is for the element. Can anyone point me to the correct plug for the element in order to check continuity?

I have checked fuses 33 in the passenger side kick panel as well as 69 under the hood. Any others to check?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Have the same truck and problem . still can not figure it out after a year!!!
Have you replaced any parts? I don't want to throw parts at this one if you have already tried something that didn't work. :)

Thinking i will try to pull the seat this weekend and attempt to figure out how to test the heating element. I have also read that the TED in the blower assembly can fail and cause these same symptoms. The blower assembly is a $125 part and is fairly easy to swap. The heating element is under $20 but the seat cover has to come off to replace it. Would like to test the element BEFORE I go through the trouble to have it replaced. If the heating element is good, then I will replace the blower assembly.

Blower assembly is #16 and the heating element is #13 in the below link.
http://www.tascaparts.com/auto-part...6-gas-engine/electrical-cat/heated-seats-scat

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Ended up replacing the blower assembly yesterday and the heated/cooled seats now function normally.

I also did NOT see the heat pad element in the seat of my 2012 Lariat. Tasca shows it, but the Ford dealer's part diagram did not. When I pulled the seat cover, there was no heater pad element. Parts guy said heat came from blower assembly. Just food for thought when troubleshooting a heated seat issue.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Ended up replacing the blower assembly yesterday and the heated/cooled seats now function normally.

I also did NOT see the heat pad element in the seat of my 2012 Lariat. Tasca shows it, but the Ford dealer's part diagram did not. When I pulled the seat cover, there was no heater pad element. Parts guy said heat came from blower assembly. Just food for thought when troubleshooting a heated seat issue.

I know this is a bit old but I just started having the identical issue on my 2012 Ecoboost FX4. Did you end up replacing both the driver and passenger blower assemblies?

·
Registered
2,069 Posts
My understanding is there are two TED units PER seat. One under the seat, and another that does the seat back. In my truck I have this problem too, however the back one is still warming the seat. So if you can isolate it to the base or the back, you might only have to replace 1 unit. If you have both seats doing this, I'm not sure if there is a common relay or module ahead of the switches that may be your issue. After the switches, I think they are both controlled and wired independently.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
I know this is a bit old but I just started having the identical issue on my 2012 Ecoboost FX4. Did you end up replacing both the driver and passenger blower assemblies?
Nope, just replaced the driver's side as that was the only one having issues. I also only replaced the unit in the seat back.

Part 15 here:
https://www.tascaparts.com/auto-parts/2012/ford/f-150/lariat-trim/3-5l-v6-gas-engine/electrical-cat/heated-seats-scat

Now, if anyone knows how to fix the rear heated seats in a 2016 Explorer, I would be greatly appreciative. :) Got one side that works, one the light comes on and then goes off after a few seconds.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Nope, just replaced the driver's side as that was the only one having issues. I also only replaced the unit in the seat back.

Part 15 here:
https://www.tascaparts.com/auto-par...6-gas-engine/electrical-cat/heated-seats-scat

Now, if anyone knows how to fix the rear heated seats in a 2016 Explorer, I would be greatly appreciative. :) Got one side that works, one the light comes on and then goes off after a few seconds.
hopefully no more trouble from here on out! would hate to have to replace them again.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have a 2012 F-150 Platinum Ecoboost. I am going through this issue right now and there is A LOT of misinformation out there, even from my local dealer. The dealer sold me an electric pad style heating element, which he insisted my truck had when he looked up the VIN number. The seat you have if it is cooled, is heated through the same fan motor assembly under the seat, no electric pad style heating element. There is a little hairdryer type element in the unit that heats the air which is then circulated through the seat. Mine wasn’t working, air conditioning either. There was a temporary fix, which was to disconnect the battery for 10 mins which resets all the fault codes and allows the seat to then operate until whatever is throwing the code, reoccurs and shuts it down again. What ended up fixing mine was taking the seat out of the truck and taking that motor assembly out. You will most likely find the attached plastic duct to be broken. The air leakage is what shuts the motor down. I removed mine and repaired it with expoxy for plastics and put it all back together. Unfortunately you cant buy just the duct. It comes as part of a whole motor assembly and it costs about $125 online. What happens is the plastic is rigid and as the seat foam starts to breakdown and compress over time, causing the duct to bend back and forth which eventually cracks. My seat works great for now, but the seat base is noticeable less efficient because the duct tube in the seat base is being compressed due to my old foam. I plan to replace the seat foam this spring. It’s readily available and is pretty cheap. For a long term solution I will eventually replace the motor assembly too. But start by resetting the computer first to see if you can get it going temporarily. Good luck!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Thanks GHampton0204 this is exactly spot on. My passenger seat still worked (so its not the control module), the light on the drivers side seat heater button stayed on (so it's not the burned out wire in the seat heater pad - there is no pad just the TED module)... Although after much research and talking to several Ford techs the seat foam compression is not the only reason for the tube cracking. The seat cushion springs can slide out of their mounting brackets as mine did. This causes the blower motor just to hang in mid air and torque on the plastic tube connecting the blower unit and TED.
I did some surgery on mine with epoxy (was told by the shop guy this morning to use JB Weld instead...) I will buy a new assembly (blower motor, tube and TED altogether) if the tube breaks again... It's a shame you have to buy the whole unit not just the tube as they fail regularly I guess...
Spring out of place...

Cracked connecting pipe...

Surgery...

Final Product

Zip tied springs in place

1 - 10 of 10 Posts