F150 Ecoboost Forum banner

1 - 20 of 113 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I have been back and forth about posting or saying anything about this issue on the forum but I'm in such disbelief and disappointed that something like this could happen. Of course it has to happen when its just out of warranty. It's not like its 20,000 miles out. I have had this truck since brand new and I take care of it since day one. When I bought this truck I was thinking I would have this truck for a long time before I would have to do any high dollar repairs but I guess I was wrong. I love everything about my truck but I would have never thought I would have a catastrophic failure as a broken piston skirt at 68,900. I fully understand that "I'm out of warranty" but I think that FORD should step up and fix my truck. I also know that they don't have to help me out with any repair money either but $2500 isn't crap on my total bill. Not when I paid $48,000 for my truck 3 years ago and I still owe 3 years on it. I have read numerous stories on these forums of pistons failures in these truck obviously there is a defect in them. FORD should stand behind there product. I sold a perfectly good Dodge Ram to buy this truck that I have now. I didn't get anywhere with Ford Customer Service Manager can't remember her name but she was a little snooty and cocky on the phone. Hopefully FORD MOTOR COMPANY reads this and will help me out with a little more of the bill because I think this is total bull that I am putting a new motor in my truck at this time. If anybody else was in this situation they would be posting on here or any other forum about there problem. Once I get in a position to get rid of this truck in the few years its gone and I will never ever buy another ford product. My wife is in need of a new car and suggested a while back that I liked the Explorer nope not anymore going to look the other way and look at a different brand. I included pictures of the piston and the inside of the oil pan. I'm not a happy ford customer right now hopefully you make me happy again and STEP UP AND BACK YOUR PRODUCT. 1110151713.jpg 20151105_164735.jpg

·
Registered
5,138 Posts
I've seen those exact pictures on Facebook recently.

·
Registered
58 Posts
I had rod failure. I can see the broken rod through the hole in my block lol. I haven't opened it up yet too see what the piston looks like.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Never posted the pictures on Facebook so not sure if they are the same ones. I don't have Facebook but my wife does and sounds like a good idea to do so though.

·
Registered
280 Posts
This is the 1st piston failure I've noticed on the forum, But we've definitely seen a lot of rods through the block lately.

Seeing all these super expensive failures definitely makes me want to dump this truck right before the power train warranty is up. Just hope these trucks don't loose to much value as more severe problems arise.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I've read of a few but you really got to search for them. There are plenty of trucks out there that have plenty of miles on them with no problems at all but they should step up for the people that do have the problems just out of warranty. My problem just came out of nowhere started knocking real bad so I took it in to the dealer to get looked at.

·
Registered
1,045 Posts
Another '12. Does anybody know if Ford made any changes for '13 forward? Almost every engine failure I've seen has been an '11 or '12. Or, is it just not time yet for the '13's and '14's to start showing up?

OP, I hope you get some help. 68K is way too early for a failure like that.

·
Registered
2,792 Posts
Sub'd

·
Registered
7,395 Posts
I'm at 103k on the factory oil. No issues.

·
Registered
2,792 Posts

·
Registered
1,603 Posts
It wouldn't surprise me to learn that in the rush to produce these 3.5's that they hurried on a few important steps thus causing some latent problems to exist. Here's an example.
On the 1998-00 OHV 4.0l v6's, Ford redesigned the cylinder head with different exhaust ports to help ,'light off' the cats faster. In the rush to get these produced, the manufacturer didn't quench the cast iron heads properly, thus causing microfractures to be present in the castings. Ford became aware of the problem soon after, but determined that the engine should be fine to 75,000 miles. They were right, for the most part. I didn't start fouling plugs and losing coolant until 72,000 miles. I replaced the heads with a nice ported set, and noticed that in between virtually every valve was a crack. One was large enough to stick a piece of paper into. I donated the heads to a local University automotive dept. for those learning about magnafluxing.
Unless it causes a serious safety issue like a fire, or something else. I'm afraid we're stuck like chuck. If one were to figure the actual batch size of these failure, I bet it's still below 5%. That's still a good success rate in the eyes of the heads at Ford. Unfortunately, it's still in the thousands considering how many 3.5 F150's there are between '11-'15. Hopefully, in the next few model years, Ford will improve the CAC setup, include a catch can, or find some way to make the PCV system better, other than an updated check valve.:cool:

·
Registered
178 Posts
I'm at 90,391 miles today, still runs great, if not better than new (with my mods) and looks and feels relatively new too....it's a well put together truck.

I've changed the oil every 3 to 4k miles using the synthetic blend the dealerships offer. Done a few mods to help her breath and run cleaner and maybe a little more efficiently, and I'm certainly not afraid to stick my foot in it it when driving, let's just say I keep the cobwebs blown out!

However, this is alarming, as it is every time I read of a catastrophic failure on the Ecoboost, but I agree the number of failures seems relatively low to the number of these units on the roads, probably no different than any other manufacturer experiences!

Good luck with your woes, guess I'll keep my fingers crossed that I don't have any problems and keep taking care of her like I have, which seems to be working for me!

·
Registered
69 Posts
OP, I'm not sure where you are located, but I stumbled across this craigslist ad last night here in San Antonio. $800 for a 14k motor, trans and transfer case. Not gonna lie I'm tempted to jump on it for a spare motor for myself but 1. it's one of those ads that sounds too good to be true but could hit the jack pot for the price and 2. i'm pinching money right now saving for vacation this winter. Good luck with the motor.

*2012/2013 Ford F150 Ecoboost 3.5L V6 Twin Turbo Motor / Transmission*

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Why is it always about running a tune and no I wasn't. Full synthetic oil and 93 gas. Look at the picture of the piston. Only 1 side of the skirt shattered. The piston had to have a defect for it to break like that in my opinion.

·
Registered
932 Posts
Not trying to negate that you had a bad build, but is it me or does the connecting rod have some darker coloration where it connects to the piston? Signs of oil starvation. Not saying you're at fault but maybe look into the oil pump?

·
Registered
40 Posts
Not trying to negate that you had a bad build, but is it me or does the connecting rod have some darker coloration where it connects to the piston? Signs of oil starvation. Not saying you're at fault but maybe look into the oil pump?

Yeah, I was looking at the same thing. Not saying your fault or anything either, but yeah maybe that cylinder lost oil pressure?

·
Registered
80 Posts
Why is it always about running a tune and no I wasn't. Full synthetic oil and 93 gas. Look at the picture of the piston. Only 1 side of the skirt shattered. The piston had to have a defect for it to break like that in my opinion.
Because that seems to coincide when these problems arise. I would like a side and top view of the piston.

So a little searching shows:
TREXVELOCIRAPTOR
http://www.f150ecoboost.net/forum/13-f150-ecoboost-performance/4129-ecoinjection-xtreme-93-tune-initial-review-2.html#post64417

...another case where a "non-tuned" ecoboost engine blows up but it wasn't "tuned". Then you ***** because Ford doesn't cover it:
http://www.f150ecoboost.net/forum/13-f150-ecoboost-performance/14025-knocking-sound-dealership-says-s-normal-not-problematic-but-i-m-concerned-3.html#post273662

I will chalk this up to another SSI tuning failure.

You have been exposed.

1 - 20 of 113 Posts
About this Discussion
112 Replies
42 Participants
meaz93
F150 Ecoboost Forum
F150Ecoboost.net is the best Ford F150 Ecoboost Forum with discussions on 2011+ F150 Ecoboost Trucks. Discuss performance mods, towing questions, wheels, tires, lift kits, and much more!
Full Forum Listing