F150 Ecoboost Forum banner

61 - 80 of 113 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,505 Posts
Those pistons can break a man's heart.

Sorry for you. Really. So dang unnecessary too.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,029 Posts
Just got the call from the dealer quoting me 9136 bucks for a new engine because I have a cracked piston skirt. I'm 1383 miles out of warranty. Beyond pissed off at the moment. I need advice.
Ford just released a bulletin regarding this problem 2 weeks ago. The repair is short block replacement. It addresses pretty much every gen 1 3.5 eco built from 11-17.

·
Premium Member
482 Posts
Ford just released a bulletin regarding this problem 2 weeks ago. The repair is short block replacement. It addresses pretty much every gen 1 3.5 eco built from 11-17.
Do you have a TSB or a recall number by chance? I cant find anything online about it.

·
Vendor
7,050 Posts
TSB is from 13-17. Short block replacement is called for but looking at my customers cylinder heads, they are completely toasted and every single one of my customers had to replace and build a long block. Maybe one exception. There is no shot that aluminum debris will stay out of your cylinder heads and valvetrain. Long block replacement is the route to take if keeping the vehicle

·
Registered
4,427 Posts
I found this...not good but whatever.

Manufacturer Communication No.: SSM 47394
Component(s): ENGINE AND ENGINE COOLING , EQUIPMENT NHTSA ID Number: 10143109
All Products Associated with this Manufacturer Communication

Details

0 Associated Documents

Manufacturer: Ford Motor Company
SUMMARY:

Some 2013-2018 F-150, 2015-2018 Transit/Expedition, and 2015-2017 Navigator vehicles equipped with a 3.5L EcoBoost engine with greater than 20,000 miles may exhibit a tick type noise from the cylinder block area. This noise may be caused by a cracked piston skirt. The noise can be isolated to a cylinder using a stethoscope or other suitable listening device. Canceling the affected cylinder will reduce or eliminate the noise. If the noise is isolated to a specific cylinder, it is recommended to replace the short block. If the noise cannot be isolated using the methods described, refer to the Workshop Manual (WSM) for diagnosis. A cracked piston skirt does not result in metal contamination of the engine or any related cylinder head damage. Prior approval for short block replacement is not required under new vehicle limited warranty coverage.

·
Vendor
7,050 Posts
What would cause a piston skirt to fail? That seems like a weird part to break on a engine.
It is a casting/design flaw. The breaks do not favor the major thrust side of the cylinder which is pretty interesting. We have seen the minor thrust skirts fail equally. The real important question is why ford isn’t performing a long block replacement. Heads will almost certainly be bad. Sooo, fords logic it appears is throw a short block in, pray it works. But we will not warranty the SOB and will give them a hell of a hard time if they want this to be covered. (My guess)

We are also offering a simple short block solution which is cost effective and if you factor the short block cost with a core from ford, I think the price is 110% worth it and isn’t expensive when looking at the numbers.

·
Registered
1,029 Posts
Ford is getting difficult to deal with as far as getting power train assemblies. It’s almost impossible to get a long lock out of them... they put you thru the ringer.... I can’t remember the last time I replaced
a transmission under warranty. I literally overhaul every one! Some of them look like a bomb went off in them....

·
Premium Member
4,505 Posts
The TSB specifies that this occurs in model years 2013 - 2018. Did Ford not update the piston design on the Gen 2’s?
I think you are fixing to hear they made changes, but it's still a very unimpressive piston for a twin Turbo high torque motor.

Or put another way, they're mass produced $cheap pistons that could be far superior with just a negligible price increase.

Very disappointing considering Ford appears to acknowledge the Gen1 issue.

·
Registered
4,656 Posts

·
Registered
4,427 Posts
I think you are fixing to hear they made changes, but it's still a very unimpressive piston for a twin Turbo high torque motor.

Or put another way, they're mass produced $cheap pistons that could be far superior with just a negligible price increase.

Very disappointing considering Ford appears to acknowledge the Gen1 issue.

idk, skirts have low friction coating and the ring lands are very durable. it must just be a casting flaw. I still dont see it being an issue without major high temps or bad knock. I am not too worried about it.

·
Vendor
7,050 Posts
idk, skirts have low friction coating and the ring lands are very durable. it must just be a casting flaw. I still dont see it being an issue without major high temps or bad knock. I am not too worried about it.
On the contrary, the ring lands are not ideal and the second land is rather small with no accumulator groove. They likely did this for the inflated steel around the top ring, but is is a weak point and have seen several cracked. The skirt on the major thrust face has load on it and where they are cracking. (Coated or not)

·
Registered
4,427 Posts
But would you say the ring lands are better design than most?

Yes it has load, but are the trucks that are cracking them completely stock or guys that are ringing them hard?

·
Premium Member
4,505 Posts
But would you say the ring lands are better design than most?

Yes it has load, but are the trucks that are cracking them completely stock or guys that are ringing them hard?
Fair question. But in my opinion, using the Ecoboost truck at full published capacity (working it towing, for example) shouldn't be considered "ringing them hard" enough to experience piston issues.

And honestly, what these trucks are rated to do, with that little twin Turbo, is using that magnificent motor pretty hard. And that's fine, but it should be built with robust enough internals to take it. It's not a sports car. It's a truck!

·
Administrator
9,483 Posts
Fair question. But in my opinion, using the Ecoboost truck at full published capacity (working it towing, for example) shouldn't be considered "ringing them hard" enough to experience piston issues.

And honestly, what these trucks are rated to do, with that little twin Turbo, is using that magnificent motor pretty hard. And that's fine, but it should be built with robust enough internals to take it. It's not a sports car. It's a truck!

I agree. In my opinion, what a vehicle us rated to do, it should be able to do. Constantly and repeatedly, for whatever they consider an average and acceptable lifespan to be.

Case in point, tow capacity. I don't know where this 80% margin garbage has come from. I know you don't need to overload a vehicle, and if you're at the max you need to take that into account for setup and driving. But (my opinion) Ford has already built a margin into that rating. If it's advertised at 8000 lbs, IMO I should be able to load up 7999 and haul it all about.

Baaaaaaaaaaa

·
Premium Member
4,505 Posts
I agree. In my opinion, what a vehicle us rated to do, it should be able to do. Constantly and repeatedly, for whatever they consider an average and acceptable lifespan to be.

Case in point, tow capacity. I don't know where this 80% margin garbage has come from. I know you don't need to overload a vehicle, and if you're at the max you need to take that into account for setup and driving. But (my opinion) Ford has already built a margin into that rating. If it's advertised at 8000 lbs, IMO I should be able to load up 7999 and haul it all about.

Baaaaaaaaaaa
Exactly. And without it poking a hole in the block.

Ironically, a lot of the reported high mileage Gen1 trucks are described as "working trucks" (towing hay, for example)

I still think there's evidence that babying the 3.5 isn't the best strategy for long life. But I haven't proof.

·
Administrator
9,483 Posts
Sadly, I doubt many of us in here can contribute to the "babying is an early death" theory. Lol. Italian tune up baby!
Exactly. And without it poking a hole in the block.

Ironically, a lot of the reported high mileage Gen1 trucks are described as "working trucks" (towing hay, for example)

I still think there's evidence that babying the 3.5 isn't the best strategy for long life. But I haven't proof.

Baaaaaaaaaaa

61 - 80 of 113 Posts
About this Discussion
112 Replies
42 Participants
meaz93
F150 Ecoboost Forum
F150Ecoboost.net is the best Ford F150 Ecoboost Forum with discussions on 2011+ F150 Ecoboost Trucks. Discuss performance mods, towing questions, wheels, tires, lift kits, and much more!
Full Forum Listing