F150 Ecoboost Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I plugged in my truck last night as it got down to -24. I started it up this morning and let it warm up for about 15 minutes. When I got in my truck I turned the heater on and nothing but cold air blew out. The temperature gauge read between cold and warm where it would typically be after idiling for 15 or so minutes. To this point the air was still blowing cold out of the vents. I decided to drive out of my driveway and to see what happened. I drove for about 3-4 blocks and the temperature gauge was moving higher at a quicker pace towards Hot. I went back to my house and parked it and let it cool down. I waited about 40 minutes and started it back up and decided to drive about 1/2 mile to the local shop as it is too cold to work on it myself without being in a heated garage. Cold air was still blowing out. They wont be able to look at it for a couple of days as there are other vehicles in front of mine that need to be worked on and the nearest ford dealership is full out for another week. What do you think this could be? Coolant was flushed about 4 months ago at the ford dealership, and no fluid was leaking. I was thinking this could be either the thermostat or water pump. Any Thoughts?

Thank you!

Andrew

·
Registered
9,641 Posts
I'd bet on the t-stat before water pump.

When's the last time your heater worked?

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Last time the heater worked was when I drove my truck on Saturday. All of the fluids are full as they should be. Hopefully it's just the t-stat! Never had any other problems with the truck. Thank you!

·
Registered
9,641 Posts
Last time the heater worked was when I drove my truck on Saturday. All of the fluids are full as they should be. Hopefully it's just the t-stat! Never had any other problems with the truck. Thank you!
I know it's crazy cold where you're at, but the t-stat is a 10 minute job with the right tools. The bolts are awkward to get to, but it's super easy to replace.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I know it kills me to bring it into a shop to repair it being that it is such an easy fix, but with the wind chill at -50 that's a little too cold even for me! I guess if it is frozen anti-freeze it should thaw out at the shop that I brought it to and is parked in until it can get fixed. Thank you!

·
Registered
523 Posts
My guess would be the coolant and or water ratio isn't correct and the solution is freezing inside the cooling system. Possibly something stemming from the recent coolant service. Next guess would be the thermostat.

With a functioning block heater hard to believe a catastrophic cooling system failure would occur like such.

Relevant information from the manual the manual:

The coolant concentration should be maintained within 48% to 50%, which equates to a freeze point between -30°F (-34°C) and -34°F
(-37°C).

Note: For best results, coolant concentration should be tested with a refractometer such as Rotunda tool 300-ROB75240 available from your
dealer. Ford does not recommend the use of hydrometers or coolant test strips for measuring coolant concentrations.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
To make a long story short, I got a call from the shop I brought it to who stored my truck inside for the night. They said it started right up and could not find any mechanical issues, although the anti-freeze was tested and only tested good until 0. Apparently the Ford Dealership didn't batch the coolant correctly.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts